WRT54G & Forwardind Issues; has my ISP blocked my incoming?! - Routers

This is a discussion on WRT54G & Forwardind Issues; has my ISP blocked my incoming?! - Routers ; So I've been using Comcast cable internet for a few months now without a problem. Maybe about a month ago I started hosting an FTP site for myself and a few of my friends. At first, I'd just give them ...

  1. WRT54G & Forwardind Issues; has my ISP blocked my incoming?!

    So I've been using Comcast cable internet for a few months now without a
    problem. Maybe about a month ago I started hosting an FTP site for
    myself and a few of my friends. At first, I'd just give them my straight
    IP and they'd connect that way. But, for convienence sake I decided to
    got the DyDNS route. I set up an account last night, and when I went to
    access my FTP today from work I could not. So when I got home, I began
    some troubleshooting.

    First off, I'm using a Linksys WRT54G. It's serving 2 machines, a
    desktop connected directly and then a laptop connected wirelessly and
    directly, depending on where it is in the house. Anyways, I've had this
    router since I've had my cable internet, and it's never been a problem.
    THe port forwarding and everything worked just fine for my FTP server
    before, but now I can't even get a response. I have tried connected both
    with my DyDNS address and the modem IP. I've also tried server resources
    just to see if any of them will pick up any connections. No dice. Now,
    it seems I can't even ping my IP from another domain (I've tried). I
    come up with a time out. I can ping my gateway, but not the actual IP
    that the router is reporting I currently have.

    So, I guess I have 2 questions: is it possible Comcast blocked all my
    incoming? It's not like I'm having a TON of people connecting into my
    FTP or anything, so I don't see why I'd be a prime target for a
    violation or anything, but who knows. Second, can anyone shed some light
    on why this is happening? It seems one of two things is happening:1)
    Comcast blocked me, or 2) my router isn't accepting incoming
    connections, and thus not even forwarding them. I really don't know
    what's going on...

    TIA

  2. Re: WRT54G & Forwardind Issues; has my ISP blocked my incoming?!

    I have Comcast too and I run two FTP servers, one each on separate machines
    using the WRT54G router, and they work just fine. What I have noticed is if
    you use the free dyndns.org service they dump their DNS entry if its over a
    month old automatically if there is no update in a month's time. If you are
    using the free service you have to go back and MANUALLY update the account.
    The only way to stop this is to buy a one year service credit at around $10.
    What happens is Comcast issues you a dynamic IP address that doesn't change
    for months thus the dyndns service times out. When this happened to me I did
    get an E-mail notice to go and do the update. I decided to get the credit
    cause it's cheap and then I don't have to worry about this happening once a
    month like PMS.

    One more thing since you said you setup the service from your work place,
    the dyndns.org service uses the IP of the computer you used to setup the
    account UNLESS you manually enter the IP address of the computer you want
    the DNS entry to point to! I made that mistake the first time around too. I
    set it up at work also. Don't forget to setup the dyndns.org support in the
    router too and make sure you have the most current version of the firmware.
    The older versions didn't work right with the dyndns.org automatic account
    update.

    --
    Leland C. Scott
    KC8LDO

    Wireless Network
    Mobile computing
    on the go brought
    to you by Micro$oft

    "Mitleid" wrote in message
    > So I've been using Comcast cable internet for a few months now without a
    > problem. Maybe about a month ago I started hosting an FTP site for
    > myself and a few of my friends. At first, I'd just give them my straight
    > IP and they'd connect that way. But, for convienence sake I decided to
    > got the DyDNS route. I set up an account last night, and when I went to
    > access my FTP today from work I could not. So when I got home, I began
    > some troubleshooting.
    >
    > First off, I'm using a Linksys WRT54G. It's serving 2 machines, a
    > desktop connected directly and then a laptop connected wirelessly and
    > directly, depending on where it is in the house. Anyways, I've had this
    > router since I've had my cable internet, and it's never been a problem.
    > THe port forwarding and everything worked just fine for my FTP server
    > before, but now I can't even get a response. I have tried connected both
    > with my DyDNS address and the modem IP. I've also tried server resources
    > just to see if any of them will pick up any connections. No dice. Now,
    > it seems I can't even ping my IP from another domain (I've tried). I
    > come up with a time out. I can ping my gateway, but not the actual IP
    > that the router is reporting I currently have.
    >
    > So, I guess I have 2 questions: is it possible Comcast blocked all my
    > incoming? It's not like I'm having a TON of people connecting into my
    > FTP or anything, so I don't see why I'd be a prime target for a
    > violation or anything, but who knows. Second, can anyone shed some light
    > on why this is happening? It seems one of two things is happening:1)
    > Comcast blocked me, or 2) my router isn't accepting incoming
    > connections, and thus not even forwarding them. I really don't know
    > what's going on...
    >
    > TIA

+ Reply to Thread