Securing wireless home network ?? - Routers

This is a discussion on Securing wireless home network ?? - Routers ; I have a Netgear wireless B modem. Works fine for sharing the Internet with. But I am concerned just a bit - it is an unsecured network, so anyone in the neighborhood with a laptop or otherwise wireless deivcve can ...

  1. Securing wireless home network ??

    I have a Netgear wireless B modem. Works fine for sharing the Internet
    with. But I am concerned just a bit - it is an unsecured network, so
    anyone in the neighborhood with a laptop or otherwise wireless deivcve can
    can jump in.

    I have no idea what is involved with securing a home network. Could
    someone clue me in here please?

    Thanks in advance...

    ...D.

  2. Re: Securing wireless home network ??

    Three easy ways:

    1) Set up the router so that it doesn't broadcast the SSID, and make the
    SSID something that people won't guess. By default, routers often have the
    SSID set to 'default' or the manufacturer's name. Set it to some random
    collection of letters. Set your laptop the same way and no one will easily
    find your router.

    2) Set up WEP security. You pick WEP keys for both the router and your
    laptop.

    3) Set up the router so that it only recognizes the MAC address of your
    laptop's wireless connection. That way, your machine is the only machine
    your router will recognize.

    "...D." wrote in message
    > I have a Netgear wireless B modem. Works fine for sharing the Internet
    > with. But I am concerned just a bit - it is an unsecured network, so
    > anyone in the neighborhood with a laptop or otherwise wireless deivcve can
    > can jump in.
    >
    > I have no idea what is involved with securing a home network. Could
    > someone clue me in here please?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...
    >
    > ...D.

  3. Re: Securing wireless home network ??

    well, i could tell you what to do, but I enjoy using peoples wireless
    connections that aren't locked down.

    thanks

    ps just so you know, read the manual with your wireless router, unless
    you bought some cheap cruddy one, it will tell you how to secure the
    router.

    but sharing internet isn't a bad thing. you can turn off all ports but
    80 so people could only access the web, but I can understand why you
    wouldn't want to.

  4. Re: Securing wireless home network ??

    On 1 Mar 2005 09:52:36 -0800, "nyder" wrote:

    >well, i could tell you what to do, but I enjoy using peoples wireless
    >connections that aren't locked down.
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >ps just so you know, read the manual with your wireless router, unless
    >you bought some cheap cruddy one, it will tell you how to secure the
    >router.
    >
    >but sharing internet isn't a bad thing. you can turn off all ports but
    >80 so people could only access the web, but I can understand why you
    >wouldn't want to.

    Clue: try proper quoting for your next batch of enlightenments...

  5. Re: Securing wireless home network ??

    nyder wrote:
    > well, i could tell you what to do, but I enjoy using peoples wireless
    > connections that aren't locked down.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > ps just so you know, read the manual with your wireless router, unless
    > you bought some cheap cruddy one, it will tell you how to secure the
    > router.
    >
    > but sharing internet isn't a bad thing. you can turn off all ports but
    > 80 so people could only access the web, but I can understand why you
    > wouldn't want to.

    Sharing is bad in that other users then take your bandwidth so yer
    slower then or they can abuse the net like spamming or servers or p2p
    etc even if you close all, but port 80. i think., but not totaly sure..
    however if possible and a user doesn't mind, they could limit the speed
    at which others can get. most i don't think do this, but i don't know
    what routers do this or don't let you limit the speed like that.

    i totally agree tho you should disable broadcast of ssid, enable the
    allow by mac address only. at the least disable ssid broadcast. setting
    up WAP or WEP is more difficult however pretty straight forward if yoo
    go slowly.

+ Reply to Thread