Turn Netgear RP114 router into switch? - Routers

This is a discussion on Turn Netgear RP114 router into switch? - Routers ; I have a Netgear RP114 router supporting a 4-machine home LAN. This will soon be replaced by a LinITX firewall/router which, with 3 network interfaces, will allow me to setup a server within a DMZ. However I will still need ...

  1. Turn Netgear RP114 router into switch?

    I have a Netgear RP114 router supporting a 4-machine home LAN. This will
    soon be replaced by a LinITX firewall/router which, with 3 network
    interfaces, will allow me to setup a server within a DMZ. However I will
    still need to connect the other network interface to a switch to take care
    of the LAN so I'm wondering if I can turn the Netgear router into a switch,
    ie. some kind of passive, non-routing mode.

    Garry

  2. Re: Turn Netgear RP114 router into switch?

    zaphod wrote:
    > I have a Netgear RP114 router supporting a 4-machine home LAN. This will
    > soon be replaced by a LinITX firewall/router which, with 3 network
    > interfaces, will allow me to setup a server within a DMZ. However I will
    > still need to connect the other network interface to a switch to take care
    > of the LAN so I'm wondering if I can turn the Netgear router into a switch,
    > ie. some kind of passive, non-routing mode.
    >
    > Garry

    Just turn off dhcp server in netgear.

    1: make netgear only router connected. log into it and change the port
    of the router to 192.168.1.2

    2: disable dhcp server in netgear.

    3: disconnect netgear and hook up new router.

    4: connect netgear from one lan port to new router lan port. doesn't matter.

    5: then everything should be fine.

    If 4 does not work then connect from netgear wan port to new router lan
    port and hopefully things should work. i never done it, but have read
    how it's supposed to work doing this with routers.

  3. Re: Turn Netgear RP114 router into switch?

    Joe

    So I can't connect the Netgear to the new router via the Netgear WAN port? I
    have to use one of the LAN ports?

    Garry

    Joe wrote:

    > zaphod wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Netgear RP114 router supporting a 4-machine home LAN. This will
    >> soon be replaced by a LinITX firewall/router which, with 3 network
    >> interfaces, will allow me to setup a server within a DMZ. However I will
    >> still need to connect the other network interface to a switch to take
    >> care
    >> of the LAN so I'm wondering if I can turn the Netgear router into a
    >> switch,
    >> ie. some kind of passive, non-routing mode.
    >>
    >> Garry

    > Just turn off dhcp server in netgear.
    >
    > 1: make netgear only router connected. log into it and change the port
    > of the router to 192.168.1.2
    >
    > 2: disable dhcp server in netgear.
    >
    > 3: disconnect netgear and hook up new router.
    >
    > 4: connect netgear from one lan port to new router lan port. doesn't
    > matter.
    >
    > 5: then everything should be fine.
    >
    > If 4 does not work then connect from netgear wan port to new router lan
    > port and hopefully things should work. i never done it, but have read
    > how it's supposed to work doing this with routers.

  4. Re: Turn Netgear RP114 router into switch?

    Joe

    Sorry for last message. Didn't fully read the last bit of your message.

    Garry

    Joe wrote:

    > zaphod wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Netgear RP114 router supporting a 4-machine home LAN. This will
    >> soon be replaced by a LinITX firewall/router which, with 3 network
    >> interfaces, will allow me to setup a server within a DMZ. However I will
    >> still need to connect the other network interface to a switch to take
    >> care
    >> of the LAN so I'm wondering if I can turn the Netgear router into a
    >> switch,
    >> ie. some kind of passive, non-routing mode.
    >>
    >> Garry

    > Just turn off dhcp server in netgear.
    >
    > 1: make netgear only router connected. log into it and change the port
    > of the router to 192.168.1.2
    >
    > 2: disable dhcp server in netgear.
    >
    > 3: disconnect netgear and hook up new router.
    >
    > 4: connect netgear from one lan port to new router lan port. doesn't
    > matter.
    >
    > 5: then everything should be fine.
    >
    > If 4 does not work then connect from netgear wan port to new router lan
    > port and hopefully things should work. i never done it, but have read
    > how it's supposed to work doing this with routers.

  5. Re: Turn Netgear RP114 router into switch?

    Joe wrote:
    > zaphod wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Netgear RP114 router supporting a 4-machine home LAN. This will
    >> soon be replaced by a LinITX firewall/router which, with 3 network
    >> interfaces, will allow me to setup a server within a DMZ. However I will
    >> still need to connect the other network interface to a switch to take
    >> care
    >> of the LAN so I'm wondering if I can turn the Netgear router into a
    >> switch,
    >> ie. some kind of passive, non-routing mode.
    >>
    >> Garry

    > Just turn off dhcp server in netgear.
    >
    > 1: make netgear only router connected. log into it and change the port
    > of the router to 192.168.1.2
    >
    > 2: disable dhcp server in netgear.
    >
    > 3: disconnect netgear and hook up new router.
    >
    > 4: connect netgear from one lan port to new router lan port. doesn't
    > matter.
    >
    > 5: then everything should be fine.
    >
    > If 4 does not work then connect from netgear wan port to new router lan
    > port and hopefully things should work. i never done it, but have read
    > how it's supposed to work doing this with routers.

    Joe..... I've just finished setting up three different makes of routers
    as switches as you have suggested and they work fine. A word of caution
    on Linksys though; Sometimes they won't work if they are powered down.
    Solution is to power down all routers, power up main router, then
    power up the ones set as switches.
    Regards
    Lee

+ Reply to Thread