LinkSys WRT54G Access Restrictions. - Routers

This is a discussion on LinkSys WRT54G Access Restrictions. - Routers ; Hi, I'm trying to test the impact on performance of Access Restrictions in LinkSys WRT54G router. In particular, I'm trying to measure the overhead of blocking access to certain web-sites. The first step in this exercise is to turn-off access ...

  1. LinkSys WRT54G Access Restrictions.

    Hi,
    I'm trying to test the impact on performance of Access Restrictions
    in LinkSys WRT54G router. In particular, I'm trying to measure the
    overhead of blocking access to certain web-sites.

    The first step in this exercise is to turn-off access to some URL, say,
    http://www.google.com. As simple as that. But I'm unable to do it. I
    did:

    1. Connect the router to the Internet and went to www.google.com from
    a web browser on a laptop on the LAN. Good, I have Internet access.
    2. Added http://www.google.com to the restricted web-URL in the Access
    Restrictions page, 24hours, 7 days a week, enabled the policy, saved
    settings. Made sure all other policies were disabled.
    3. Cleared my web-browser cache. Pointed my browser to
    http://www.google.com. And I was able to go to google.com again.

    Why is the router not blocking access to google.com? Is there some
    something I'm missing? I'd think this is a simple task but this router
    completely stumps me.

    I have the latest firmware version, v3.01.3 on the router.

    Thanks in advance.
    Senthil.

  2. Re: LinkSys WRT54G Access Restrictions.

    C.G.Senthilkumar. wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to test the impact on performance of Access Restrictions
    > in LinkSys WRT54G router. In particular, I'm trying to measure the
    > overhead of blocking access to certain web-sites.
    >
    > The first step in this exercise is to turn-off access to some URL, say,
    > http://www.google.com. As simple as that. But I'm unable to do it. I
    > did:
    >
    > 1. Connect the router to the Internet and went to www.google.com from
    > a web browser on a laptop on the LAN. Good, I have Internet access.
    > 2. Added http://www.google.com to the restricted web-URL in the Access
    > Restrictions page, 24hours, 7 days a week, enabled the policy, saved
    > settings. Made sure all other policies were disabled.
    > 3. Cleared my web-browser cache. Pointed my browser to
    > http://www.google.com. And I was able to go to google.com again.
    >
    > Why is the router not blocking access to google.com? Is there some
    > something I'm missing? I'd think this is a simple task but this router
    > completely stumps me.
    >
    > I have the latest firmware version, v3.01.3 on the router.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Senthil.

    Is there any disable filtering for this local ip so it goes anywehere it
    wants? also just try www.google.com but i don't think that'd make a
    difference. Probably as well you know for the most part what yer doing
    and there is no this local ip can do anything they want setting. Just
    asking. This would tick me off if it was set right and i say put in a
    url to block and it still allowed it. I'd be ticked.

  3. Re: LinkSys WRT54G Access Restrictions.

    Joe wrote:
    > Is there any disable filtering for this local ip so it goes anywehere it
    > wants?

    No, there is no such feature. I have applied this to IP addresses
    192.168.1.100-200. My laptop's IP assigned by the router's DHCP is
    192.168.1.119.

    BTW, "Website blocing by keyword" is working perfectly fine.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.
    Senthil.

  4. Re: LinkSys WRT54G Access Restrictions.

    C.G.Senthilkumar. wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to test the impact on performance of Access Restrictions
    > in LinkSys WRT54G router. In particular, I'm trying to measure the
    > overhead of blocking access to certain web-sites.
    >
    > The first step in this exercise is to turn-off access to some URL,
    > say, http://www.google.com. As simple as that. But I'm unable to do
    > it. I did:
    >
    > 1. Connect the router to the Internet and went to www.google.com
    > from a web browser on a laptop on the LAN. Good, I have Internet
    > access.
    > 2. Added http://www.google.com to the restricted web-URL in the
    > Access Restrictions page, 24hours, 7 days a week, enabled the
    > policy, saved settings. Made sure all other policies were disabled.
    > 3. Cleared my web-browser cache. Pointed my browser to
    > http://www.google.com. And I was able to go to google.com again.
    >
    > Why is the router not blocking access to google.com? Is there some
    > something I'm missing? I'd think this is a simple task but this
    > router completely stumps me.
    >
    > I have the latest firmware version, v3.01.3 on the router.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Senthil.

    Call Linksys TS.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  5. Re: LinkSys WRT54G Access Restrictions.

    Travis wrote:
    > Call Linksys TS.

    They don't have a clue either.

    One question:

    Has anyone successfully made use of that feature? If yes, please let me
    know the steps you followed. I may be missing out on something that might
    appear to be too obvious to you.

    Thanks in advance.

    Senthil.

  6. Re: LinkSys WRT54G Access Restrictions.

    I have had success with blocking URLs by leaving out the "HTTP://www"
    part.

    Try using just "google.com" as your restricted URL.

    Works for me. Also make sure that you are using the most recent
    firmware.

    Cheers

  7. Re: LinkSys WRT54G Access Restrictions.

    Thanks, it works now, without the "http://"

  8. Re: LinkSys WRT54G Access Restrictions.

    C.G.Senthilkumar. wrote:
    > Thanks, it works now, without the "http://"

    i think the reason it works is cus the router automatically already puts
    in the http:// so when you do it then you have like
    http://http://www.all.com kind of thing. I've done the same thing before
    on other routers.

+ Reply to Thread