connecting 2 PC's together - Routers

This is a discussion on connecting 2 PC's together - Routers ; Hi all in my OH's charity office they have 2 PC's 1 in the boss's office (PC1)and 1 in the office where she works as a Publicity Officer (PC2). ATM all EMail go into the bosses PC and she has ...

  1. connecting 2 PC's together

    Hi all in my OH's charity office they have 2 PC's 1 in the boss's office
    (PC1)and 1 in the office where she works as a Publicity Officer (PC2). ATM
    all EMail go into the bosses PC and she has to go in there to read it

    What they want is to connect the 2 PC's together via a Router and then to
    the Broadband Modem which is connected directly to the Router and then the
    PC1, so she can then get and send her own mail without having to go to PC1

    The 'Building' is a 'PortaCabin' type with the cables already installed

    My question is simple

    How do I do it?

    There is no one available who knows how to do it but plenty (me included)
    who can do it if there are simple instruction available

    Thank you

    Tiny

  2. Re: connecting 2 PC's together

    Assuming it's an ethernet router, you unplug the ethernet cable from the
    modem to the existing pc and plug the ethernet cable from the modem to the
    router( wan). There should be some software which will help you to clone the
    ip address that your ISP gave you into the router, or call your router
    company to help. Next you plug ethernet cables from each computer into the
    router(lan) and make sure their network cards are set to obtain ip address
    automatically, which the router will give them and you're done
    "Tiny" wrote in message
    news:Tp9Ld.19471$n9.12808@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
    > Hi all in my OH's charity office they have 2 PC's 1 in the boss's office
    > (PC1)and 1 in the office where she works as a Publicity Officer (PC2). ATM
    > all EMail go into the bosses PC and she has to go in there to read it
    >
    > What they want is to connect the 2 PC's together via a Router and then to
    > the Broadband Modem which is connected directly to the Router and then the
    > PC1, so she can then get and send her own mail without having to go to PC1
    >
    > The 'Building' is a 'PortaCabin' type with the cables already installed
    >
    > My question is simple
    >
    > How do I do it?
    >
    > There is no one available who knows how to do it but plenty (me included)
    > who can do it if there are simple instruction available
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Tiny

  3. Re: connecting 2 PC's together

    "RBM" wrote in

    > Assuming it's an ethernet router, you unplug the ethernet cable from
    > the modem to the existing pc and plug the ethernet cable from the
    > modem to the router( wan). There should be some software which will
    > help you to clone the ip address that your ISP gave you into the
    > router, or call your router company to help. Next you plug ethernet
    > cables from each computer into the router(lan) and make sure their
    > network cards are set to obtain ip address automatically, which the
    > router will give them and you're done "Tiny" wrote in
    > message news:Tp9Ld.19471$n9.12808@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
    >> Hi all in my OH's charity office they have 2 PC's 1 in the boss's
    >> office (PC1)and 1 in the office where she works as a Publicity
    >> Officer (PC2). ATM all EMail go into the bosses PC and she has to go
    >> in there to read it
    >>
    >> What they want is to connect the 2 PC's together via a Router and
    >> then to the Broadband Modem which is connected directly to the Router
    >> and then the PC1, so she can then get and send her own mail without
    >> having to go to PC1

    Thank you RMM this helped me loads

    Tiny

+ Reply to Thread