Linksys WRT54G and DSL Problems - Routers

This is a discussion on Linksys WRT54G and DSL Problems - Routers ; Hi Everyone, Desperate for assistance here... I've set up plenty of routers with cable internet connections with no problems. I've run into a snag though trying to set up a business customer using this router with Choice One DSL (256kb) ...

  1. Linksys WRT54G and DSL Problems

    Hi Everyone,
    Desperate for assistance here... I've set up plenty of routers with cable
    internet connections with no problems. I've run into a snag though trying to
    set up a business customer using this router with Choice One DSL (256kb) and
    hoping for assistance...
    Previously, he had one computer hooked through his DSL connection with a
    static IP address - no problems. He purchased two new Dell computers
    (desktop and laptop). If I plug the IP address, DNS and gateway settings
    into an invidual PC and hook the cable up I'm golden on any one PC. The
    problem lies when I try to set up any router with the same IP settings - it
    just won't share the internet.

    I've tried two different Linksys routers and a Blitzz router all with the
    same results... The router distributes IP addresses fine to all of the
    clients - every machine receives the correct DNS settings when doing an
    IPCONFIG /ALL.... They all have a 192.168.1.100, .101 and .102 address.
    Trying to get to any websites though fails-won't even resolve the IP
    address...

    A few things I've tried... Go to command prompt, ping a known IP address - I
    get results. If I even try going to a website by its' known IP address,
    nothing. Obviously can't get to any websites by name. I can, of course get
    to the router configuration at 192.168.1.1. With remote adminstration
    turned on, I can even connect to the router over the internet, so the
    settings must be working somehow, to a point. There are no proxies turned
    on in IE, etc. - these are fresh new computers obtaining DHCP addresses and
    just can't connect to the internet from any of them through the router.
    Tech support over at Choice One confirmed I had done everything right and
    are stumped as well. I'd rather not resort to attempting ICS through XP
    (having to leave a computer on and dedicated) - I'm trying to get the router
    to share the internet so I can set up port forwarding and use VNC to
    troubleshoot these computers whenever needed...

    If anyone has suggestions, I'd be very appreciative...

    Thanks!
    Scott in NH

  2. Re: Linksys WRT54G and DSL Problems

    Scott Nagle wrote:
    > Hi Everyone,
    > Desperate for assistance here... I've set up plenty of routers with
    > cable internet connections with no problems. I've run into a snag
    > though trying to set up a business customer using this router with
    > Choice One DSL (256kb) and hoping for assistance...
    > Previously, he had one computer hooked through his DSL connection
    > with a static IP address - no problems. He purchased two new Dell
    > computers (desktop and laptop). If I plug the IP address, DNS and
    > gateway settings into an invidual PC and hook the cable up I'm
    > golden on any one PC. The problem lies when I try to set up any
    > router with the same IP settings - it just won't share the internet.
    >
    > I've tried two different Linksys routers and a Blitzz router all
    > with the same results... The router distributes IP addresses fine
    > to all of the clients - every machine receives the correct DNS
    > settings when doing an IPCONFIG /ALL.... They all have a
    > 192.168.1.100, .101 and .102 address. Trying to get to any websites
    > though fails-won't even resolve the IP address...
    >
    > A few things I've tried... Go to command prompt, ping a known IP
    > address - I get results. If I even try going to a website by its'
    > known IP address, nothing. Obviously can't get to any websites by
    > name. I can, of course get to the router configuration at
    > 192.168.1.1. With remote adminstration turned on, I can even
    > connect to the router over the internet, so the settings must be
    > working somehow, to a point. There are no proxies turned on in IE,
    > etc. - these are fresh new computers obtaining DHCP addresses and
    > just can't connect to the internet from any of them through the
    > router. Tech support over at Choice One confirmed I had done
    > everything right and are stumped as well. I'd rather not resort to
    > attempting ICS through XP (having to leave a computer on and
    > dedicated) - I'm trying to get the router to share the internet so
    > I can set up port forwarding and use VNC to troubleshoot these
    > computers whenever needed...
    > If anyone has suggestions, I'd be very appreciative...
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott in NH

    I used the provided manual for my Linksys BEFSR41 to set up my 2 PC
    network without problems so I would think your manual should provide the
    same. If all else fails call TS.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  3. Re: Linksys WRT54G and DSL Problems

    Have you tried rebooting the DSL modem? I've had problems in the past when
    I changed from one computer to another (or a router). First you reboot the
    modem, and when all the lights are go, then turn on the router.

    Richard

    "Travis" wrote in message
    > Scott Nagle wrote:
    >> Hi Everyone,
    >> Desperate for assistance here... I've set up plenty of routers with
    >> cable internet connections with no problems. I've run into a snag
    >> though trying to set up a business customer using this router with
    >> Choice One DSL (256kb) and hoping for assistance...
    >> Previously, he had one computer hooked through his DSL connection
    >> with a static IP address - no problems. He purchased two new Dell
    >> computers (desktop and laptop). If I plug the IP address, DNS and
    >> gateway settings into an invidual PC and hook the cable up I'm
    >> golden on any one PC. The problem lies when I try to set up any
    >> router with the same IP settings - it just won't share the internet.
    >>
    >> I've tried two different Linksys routers and a Blitzz router all
    >> with the same results... The router distributes IP addresses fine
    >> to all of the clients - every machine receives the correct DNS
    >> settings when doing an IPCONFIG /ALL.... They all have a
    >> 192.168.1.100, .101 and .102 address. Trying to get to any websites
    >> though fails-won't even resolve the IP address...
    >>
    >> A few things I've tried... Go to command prompt, ping a known IP
    >> address - I get results. If I even try going to a website by its'
    >> known IP address, nothing. Obviously can't get to any websites by
    >> name. I can, of course get to the router configuration at
    >> 192.168.1.1. With remote adminstration turned on, I can even
    >> connect to the router over the internet, so the settings must be
    >> working somehow, to a point. There are no proxies turned on in IE,
    >> etc. - these are fresh new computers obtaining DHCP addresses and
    >> just can't connect to the internet from any of them through the
    >> router. Tech support over at Choice One confirmed I had done
    >> everything right and are stumped as well. I'd rather not resort to
    >> attempting ICS through XP (having to leave a computer on and
    >> dedicated) - I'm trying to get the router to share the internet so
    >> I can set up port forwarding and use VNC to troubleshoot these
    >> computers whenever needed...
    >> If anyone has suggestions, I'd be very appreciative...
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> Scott in NH

    > I used the provided manual for my Linksys BEFSR41 to set up my 2 PC
    > network without problems so I would think your manual should provide the
    > same. If all else fails call TS.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Travis in Shoreline Washington

  4. Re: Linksys WRT54G and DSL Problems

    Yes, I've tried rebooting the DSL modem (which also disconnects their phone
    system). The weird thing is, is that if it works on any computer by simply
    programming the IP and DNS settings right away (just swap the main ethernet
    cable), why do the routers not seem to take, or at least they do, but, well
    you know...

    Thanks though,
    Scott
    "Richard Forester" wrote in message
    > Have you tried rebooting the DSL modem? I've had problems in the past
    > when I changed from one computer to another (or a router). First you
    > reboot the modem, and when all the lights are go, then turn on the router.
    >
    > Richard
    >
    > "Travis" wrote in message
    >> Scott Nagle wrote:
    >>> Hi Everyone,
    >>> Desperate for assistance here... I've set up plenty of routers with
    >>> cable internet connections with no problems. I've run into a snag
    >>> though trying to set up a business customer using this router with
    >>> Choice One DSL (256kb) and hoping for assistance...
    >>> Previously, he had one computer hooked through his DSL connection
    >>> with a static IP address - no problems. He purchased two new Dell
    >>> computers (desktop and laptop). If I plug the IP address, DNS and
    >>> gateway settings into an invidual PC and hook the cable up I'm
    >>> golden on any one PC. The problem lies when I try to set up any
    >>> router with the same IP settings - it just won't share the internet.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried two different Linksys routers and a Blitzz router all
    >>> with the same results... The router distributes IP addresses fine
    >>> to all of the clients - every machine receives the correct DNS
    >>> settings when doing an IPCONFIG /ALL.... They all have a
    >>> 192.168.1.100, .101 and .102 address. Trying to get to any websites
    >>> though fails-won't even resolve the IP address...
    >>>
    >>> A few things I've tried... Go to command prompt, ping a known IP
    >>> address - I get results. If I even try going to a website by its'
    >>> known IP address, nothing. Obviously can't get to any websites by
    >>> name. I can, of course get to the router configuration at
    >>> 192.168.1.1. With remote adminstration turned on, I can even
    >>> connect to the router over the internet, so the settings must be
    >>> working somehow, to a point. There are no proxies turned on in IE,
    >>> etc. - these are fresh new computers obtaining DHCP addresses and
    >>> just can't connect to the internet from any of them through the
    >>> router. Tech support over at Choice One confirmed I had done
    >>> everything right and are stumped as well. I'd rather not resort to
    >>> attempting ICS through XP (having to leave a computer on and
    >>> dedicated) - I'm trying to get the router to share the internet so
    >>> I can set up port forwarding and use VNC to troubleshoot these
    >>> computers whenever needed...
    >>> If anyone has suggestions, I'd be very appreciative...
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>> Scott in NH

    >> I used the provided manual for my Linksys BEFSR41 to set up my 2 PC
    >> network without problems so I would think your manual should provide the
    >> same. If all else fails call TS.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Travis in Shoreline Washington

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----

  5. Re: Linksys WRT54G and DSL Problems

    Scott Nagle wrote:
    > Yes, I've tried rebooting the DSL modem (which also disconnects
    > their phone system). The weird thing is, is that if it works on any
    > computer by simply programming the IP and DNS settings right away
    > (just swap the main ethernet cable), why do the routers not seem to
    > take, or at least they do, but, well you know...

    Unless the phone system is VoIp rebooting the modem should not
    disconnect the phone system. Sounds like things might be wired bass
    ackwards.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  6. Re: Linksys WRT54G and DSL Problems

    The only other thing I can think of is that you need to tell the ISP that
    gave them the static IP address that you are using a different MAC address
    (the one assigned to the router). They may have some software to automate
    this or you may have to call them up.

    Richard

    "Scott Nagle" wrote in message
    > Yes, I've tried rebooting the DSL modem (which also disconnects their
    > phone system). The weird thing is, is that if it works on any computer by
    > simply programming the IP and DNS settings right away (just swap the main
    > ethernet cable), why do the routers not seem to take, or at least they do,
    > but, well you know...
    >
    > Thanks though,
    > Scott
    > "Richard Forester" wrote in message
    >> Have you tried rebooting the DSL modem? I've had problems in the past
    >> when I changed from one computer to another (or a router). First you
    >> reboot the modem, and when all the lights are go, then turn on the
    >> router.
    >>
    >> Richard
    >>
    >> "Travis" wrote in message

    >>> I used the provided manual for my Linksys BEFSR41 to set up my 2 PC
    >>> network without problems so I would think your manual should provide the
    >>> same. If all else fails call TS.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Travis in Shoreline Washington

    >> News==----
    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
    >> Newsgroups
    >> =----

  7. Re: Linksys WRT54G and DSL Problems

    Thanks to all who have offered help... Out of desperation, I tried a 4th
    router - this time a US Robotics one, and voila, worked right off the bat -
    no idea why 2 Linksys and a Blitzz would not work with this DSL provider...
    Weird, but I'm all set...
    Thanks again,
    Scott

  8. Re: Linksys WRT54G and DSL Problems

    I have an idea, it was from anewsgroup post that was here I think
    MTU setting.. it only matters for DSL connections
    http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
    go there, download that puppy to each machine
    change the network card (it may appear twice) to a lower mtu and save
    try a 1492 or 1410 figure

    at my work, my DSL connection worked when direct wired, not when added to a
    router
    (somethings worked, but sending email rarely did (small ones only)) and some
    webpages
    ebay/yahoo mail/ never loaded until I ran drtcp and reduced the MTU size for
    each machine
    on the network.

    some reading on it
    http://www.allaboutjake.com/network/linksys/mtu.html

    > Hi Everyone,
    > Desperate for assistance here... I've set up plenty of routers with cable
    > internet connections with no problems. I've run into a snag though trying
    > to set up a business customer using this router with Choice One DSL
    > (256kb) and hoping for assistance...
    > Previously, he had one computer hooked through his DSL connection with a
    > static IP address - no problems. He purchased two new Dell computers
    > (desktop and laptop). If I plug the IP address, DNS and gateway settings
    > into an invidual PC and hook the cable up I'm golden on any one PC. The
    > problem lies when I try to set up any router with the same IP settings -
    > it just won't share the internet.
    >
    > I've tried two different Linksys routers and a Blitzz router all with the
    > same results... The router distributes IP addresses fine to all of the
    > clients - every machine receives the correct DNS settings when doing an
    > IPCONFIG /ALL.... They all have a 192.168.1.100, .101 and .102 address.
    > Trying to get to any websites though fails-won't even resolve the IP
    > address...
    >
    > A few things I've tried... Go to command prompt, ping a known IP address -
    > I get results. If I even try going to a website by its' known IP address,
    > nothing. Obviously can't get to any websites by name. I can, of course
    > get to the router configuration at 192.168.1.1. With remote adminstration
    > turned on, I can even connect to the router over the internet, so the
    > settings must be working somehow, to a point. There are no proxies turned
    > on in IE, etc. - these are fresh new computers obtaining DHCP addresses
    > and just can't connect to the internet from any of them through the
    > router. Tech support over at Choice One confirmed I had done everything
    > right and are stumped as well. I'd rather not resort to attempting ICS
    > through XP (having to leave a computer on and dedicated) - I'm trying to
    > get the router to share the internet so I can set up port forwarding and
    > use VNC to troubleshoot these computers whenever needed...
    >
    > If anyone has suggestions, I'd be very appreciative...
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott in NH

+ Reply to Thread