Multiple Public IPs/1 Router? - Routers

This is a discussion on Multiple Public IPs/1 Router? - Routers ; I have 5 static external IPs and I want to put up a firewall for each. I've looked at routers, but they don't seem to have too many that support multiple external IPs. I would really prefer to have one ...

  1. Multiple Public IPs/1 Router?

    I have 5 static external IPs and I want to put up a firewall for each. I've
    looked at routers, but they don't seem to have too many that support
    multiple external IPs. I would really prefer to have one piece of hardware
    as 5 seperate router/firewalls sounds like a hassle. Could someone clue me
    in as to what type of hardware I am looking for or some terminology to
    google?

    Thanks much,

    --ScareCrowe

  2. Re: Multiple Public IPs/1 Router?

    "ScareCrowe" wrote in message
    > I have 5 static external IPs and I want to put up a firewall for each.

    I've
    > looked at routers, but they don't seem to have too many that support
    > multiple external IPs. I would really prefer to have one piece of hardware
    > as 5 seperate router/firewalls sounds like a hassle. Could someone clue me
    > in as to what type of hardware I am looking for or some terminology to
    > google?
    >
    > Thanks much,
    >
    > --ScareCrowe

    maybe use one switch on WAN side and multiple low-cost routers ?

  3. Re: Multiple Public IPs/1 Router?

    Try Zyxel P334WT or go to www.zyxel.com. You are looking for the router
    which can support multi-NATs or IP mapping.
    "peterken" wrote in message

    > "ScareCrowe" wrote in message
    >> I have 5 static external IPs and I want to put up a firewall for each.

    > I've
    >> looked at routers, but they don't seem to have too many that support
    >> multiple external IPs. I would really prefer to have one piece of
    >> hardware
    >> as 5 seperate router/firewalls sounds like a hassle. Could someone clue
    >> me
    >> in as to what type of hardware I am looking for or some terminology to
    >> google?
    >>
    >> Thanks much,
    >>
    >> --ScareCrowe
    >>

    > maybe use one switch on WAN side and multiple low-cost routers ?

  4. Re: Multiple Public IPs/1 Router?

    You could be bottlenecking your bandwidth if you go this route.
    Emphasis on the could. I don't think such a piece of hardware exists.
    (I have been known to be wrong. From time to time. ) Wait,
    inspiration hits. Set up one PC with 6 ethernet adapters and BSD.
    (Preferably NetBSD.) You can set up firewalls, NATs and IP mappings for
    each connection. The alternative is to do the same with XP... but I
    wouldn't reccomend it. I have no clue which way it would puke, er I
    mean if it could handle something like that.

    Paul

    Cliff Cheng wrote:

    > Try Zyxel P334WT or go to www.zyxel.com. You are looking for the router
    > which can support multi-NATs or IP mapping.
    > "peterken" wrote in message
    >
    >>"ScareCrowe" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have 5 static external IPs and I want to put up a firewall for each.

    >>I've
    >>
    >>>looked at routers, but they don't seem to have too many that support
    >>>multiple external IPs. I would really prefer to have one piece of
    >>>hardware
    >>>as 5 seperate router/firewalls sounds like a hassle. Could someone clue
    >>>me
    >>>in as to what type of hardware I am looking for or some terminology to
    >>>google?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks much,
    >>>
    >>>--ScareCrowe
    >>>

    >>maybe use one switch on WAN side and multiple low-cost routers ?

  5. Re: Multiple Public IPs/1 Router?

    ScareCrowe wrote:
    > I have 5 static external IPs and I want to put up a firewall for each. I've
    > looked at routers, but they don't seem to have too many that support
    > multiple external IPs. I would really prefer to have one piece of hardware
    > as 5 seperate router/firewalls sounds like a hassle. Could someone clue me
    > in as to what type of hardware I am looking for or some terminology to
    > google?
    >
    > Thanks much,
    >
    > --ScareCrowe

    Pretty much the whole sonicwall line will do what you need.

    --
    DO NOT REPLY TO THE EMAIL ADDRESS
    IN THE HEADERS OF THIS POST.

+ Reply to Thread