BEFSR41 Version 2 Question - Routers

This is a discussion on BEFSR41 Version 2 Question - Routers ; Please excuse me for venting my frustration. I had a problem sending files with MSN Messenger. After much trial and tribulation went to the Linksys site and found reference to MSN Messenger firewall issues. Called Linksys support several times (India ...

  1. BEFSR41 Version 2 Question

    Please excuse me for venting my frustration.

    I had a problem sending files with MSN Messenger. After much trial and
    tribulation went to the Linksys site and found reference to MSN Messenger
    firewall issues. Called Linksys support several times (India and Malaysia)
    and finally pieced together the need to update the BEFSR41 Version 2 Router
    to the latest firmware (1.46.2) and to enter 6981-6900, 6901-6901, 1863 and
    5190 in the Port Triggering addresses. Problem solved. One of the Linksys
    support people also told me to enter my MAC address in the router to speed
    up the connection? I have not done that yet.

    However after making the above changes I started having a new problem with
    Schwab's StreetSmart Pro losing contact with the quote server. Called
    Schwab and they instructed me to add nine new Port Triggering addresses.
    The router only has room for ten entries. So I contacted Linksys support
    again, in India this time, and he told me to just add one new entry of
    80-10000. Problem solved!

    Now my questions - since all the MSN Messenger entries are covered by the
    80-10000 entry why not delete them and have just the one entry? The Linksys
    support person from Malaysia (fourth call) said to leave it alone if it is
    working!!! Should I enter the MAC address in the Router? If yes, what does
    it do? Any rational input would be appreciated. I have pretty much given
    up on Linksys since every time I call them I get a new country and a
    different solution for the same problem. I did manage to get one Linksys
    person who spoke very good English and seemed to have all the right answers.
    Unfortunately I could never get her back on the phone to resolve the second
    issue.

  2. Re: BEFSR41 Version 2 Question

    Ken:

    The only time you really need to enter the MAC address in the Router is when the ISP ties
    the WAN account to the MAC address of a computer. Then you would "clone" the MAC address of
    the PC to the Router when using a Router. Maybe I am wrong but I can't see how this will
    help or speed up communications.

    And the range 80~10000 covers the ranges; 6981~6901, 1863 and 5190 in the Port Triggering
    settings so write down the settings that currently works. Set the range 80~10000 and then
    test it. If it works, keep it.

    BTW: I believe MSN Messenger is uPnP compliant. If you are using WinXP or WINME have you
    enabled uPnP on the platform and on the Router ?

    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/msn5faq.aspx

    --
    Dave

    "Ken" wrote in message news:jMKdnaOnwoPVZmrcRVn-ig@comcast.com...
    | Please excuse me for venting my frustration.
    |
    | I had a problem sending files with MSN Messenger. After much trial and
    | tribulation went to the Linksys site and found reference to MSN Messenger
    | firewall issues. Called Linksys support several times (India and Malaysia)
    | and finally pieced together the need to update the BEFSR41 Version 2 Router
    | to the latest firmware (1.46.2) and to enter 6981-6900, 6901-6901, 1863 and
    | 5190 in the Port Triggering addresses. Problem solved. One of the Linksys
    | support people also told me to enter my MAC address in the router to speed
    | up the connection? I have not done that yet.
    |
    | However after making the above changes I started having a new problem with
    | Schwab's StreetSmart Pro losing contact with the quote server. Called
    | Schwab and they instructed me to add nine new Port Triggering addresses.
    | The router only has room for ten entries. So I contacted Linksys support
    | again, in India this time, and he told me to just add one new entry of
    | 80-10000. Problem solved!
    |
    | Now my questions - since all the MSN Messenger entries are covered by the
    | 80-10000 entry why not delete them and have just the one entry? The Linksys
    | support person from Malaysia (fourth call) said to leave it alone if it is
    | working!!! Should I enter the MAC address in the Router? If yes, what does
    | it do? Any rational input would be appreciated. I have pretty much given
    | up on Linksys since every time I call them I get a new country and a
    | different solution for the same problem. I did manage to get one Linksys
    | person who spoke very good English and seemed to have all the right answers.
    | Unfortunately I could never get her back on the phone to resolve the second
    | issue.

  3. Re: BEFSR41 Version 2 Question

    Ken wrote:
    > Please excuse me for venting my frustration.
    >
    > I had a problem sending files with MSN Messenger. After much trial
    > and tribulation went to the Linksys site and found reference to MSN
    > Messenger firewall issues. Called Linksys support several times
    > (India and Malaysia) and finally pieced together the need to update
    > the BEFSR41 Version 2 Router to the latest firmware (1.46.2) and to
    > enter 6981-6900, 6901-6901, 1863 and 5190 in the Port Triggering
    > addresses. Problem solved. One of the Linksys support people also
    > told me to enter my MAC address in the router to speed up the
    > connection? I have not done that yet.
    > However after making the above changes I started having a new problem
    > with Schwab's StreetSmart Pro losing contact with the quote server.
    > Called Schwab and they instructed me to add nine new Port Triggering
    > addresses. The router only has room for ten entries. So I contacted
    > Linksys support again, in India this time, and he told me to just add
    > one new entry of 80-10000. Problem solved!
    >
    > Now my questions - since all the MSN Messenger entries are covered by
    > the 80-10000 entry why not delete them and have just the one entry?
    > The Linksys support person from Malaysia (fourth call) said to leave
    > it alone if it is working!!! Should I enter the MAC address in the
    > Router? If yes, what does it do? Any rational input would be
    > appreciated. I have pretty much given up on Linksys since every time
    > I call them I get a new country and a different solution for the same
    > problem. I did manage to get one Linksys person who spoke very good
    > English and seemed to have all the right answers. Unfortunately I
    > could never get her back on the phone to resolve the second issue.

    All of this is completely unnecessary. From the Password tab, select
    Enable UPnP services. Delete all of the forwarded ports. Assumes
    WinXP.

  4. Re: BEFSR41 Version 2 Question

    I checked the Password Tab and UPnP Services has always been Enabled. So
    its back to the Port Triggering since those changes did make the problem(s)
    go away.

    "Quaoar" wrote in message
    > Ken wrote:
    >> Please excuse me for venting my frustration.
    >>
    >> I had a problem sending files with MSN Messenger. After much trial
    >> and tribulation went to the Linksys site and found reference to MSN
    >> Messenger firewall issues. Called Linksys support several times
    >> (India and Malaysia) and finally pieced together the need to update
    >> the BEFSR41 Version 2 Router to the latest firmware (1.46.2) and to
    >> enter 6981-6900, 6901-6901, 1863 and 5190 in the Port Triggering
    >> addresses. Problem solved. One of the Linksys support people also
    >> told me to enter my MAC address in the router to speed up the
    >> connection? I have not done that yet.
    >> However after making the above changes I started having a new problem
    >> with Schwab's StreetSmart Pro losing contact with the quote server.
    >> Called Schwab and they instructed me to add nine new Port Triggering
    >> addresses. The router only has room for ten entries. So I contacted
    >> Linksys support again, in India this time, and he told me to just add
    >> one new entry of 80-10000. Problem solved!
    >>
    >> Now my questions - since all the MSN Messenger entries are covered by
    >> the 80-10000 entry why not delete them and have just the one entry? The
    >> Linksys support person from Malaysia (fourth call) said to leave
    >> it alone if it is working!!! Should I enter the MAC address in the
    >> Router? If yes, what does it do? Any rational input would be
    >> appreciated. I have pretty much given up on Linksys since every time
    >> I call them I get a new country and a different solution for the same
    >> problem. I did manage to get one Linksys person who spoke very good
    >> English and seemed to have all the right answers. Unfortunately I
    >> could never get her back on the phone to resolve the second issue.

    > All of this is completely unnecessary. From the Password tab, select
    > Enable UPnP services. Delete all of the forwarded ports. Assumes WinXP.

  5. Re: BEFSR41 Version 2 Question

    I had the same problem with my BEFSR41 router. I couldn't use the remote
    desktop feature to save my life. I followed the help I received from tech
    support. Flashed the router. Enable UPnP, but had to set port forwarding
    and dynamic IP address. Once I did that I was alive again.