File Sharing Under XP - Routers

This is a discussion on File Sharing Under XP - Routers ; All the responses in this group helped me to understand how I can network in my XBox and a second pc into the same router port using a switch. Great news. Now, I don't have the switch yet, but I ...

  1. File Sharing Under XP

    All the responses in this group helped me to understand how I can network in
    my XBox and a second pc into the same router port using a switch. Great
    news.

    Now, I don't have the switch yet, but I was trying to test the second pc on
    the network by disconnecting the XBox. So, it looked like everything was
    working good - have internet, at least. Now, trying to get file sharing
    working has me puzzled. I've renamed both pc's workgroup name to "HOME".
    One pc is called DEN and the other is FAMROOM. I allowed file sharing on
    the C drive of the second pc and a single folder on the first pc. All this
    was done through the XP wizard. However, I can't seem to get either pc to
    "see" the other one on the network. The router sees both, of course, under
    DHCP with IP's of 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.101. But when I go into "View
    Workgroup Computers", I see nothing of the other. Actually, through many
    retries at the XP wizard and many reboots, a few times I could see the other
    pc, but not see or access any of the shared drives/folders. I ran through
    everything in the EZLAN site that seemed appropriate.

    Any thoughts???

    Dark Helmet

  2. Re: File Sharing Under XP

    Just thought of one other issue. One pc is running XP Pro SP1 while the
    other is running XP Home SP2. Could the diff SP's be an issue?

    Dark Helmet

  3. Re: File Sharing Under XP

    Just a few ideas...

    All your PCs should be running the same service pack. Also turn off Windows
    Firewall and any 3rd party software firewall (at least until you can get
    connectivity). Is your router acting as your DHCP server? If you are using
    ICS you need to turn that off.

    Richard

    "Dark Helmet" wrote in message
    > Just thought of one other issue. One pc is running XP Pro SP1 while the
    > other is running XP Home SP2. Could the diff SP's be an issue?
    >
    > Dark Helmet

  4. Re: File Sharing Under XP

    No ! Service Pack level is a moot point.

    There are a few factors for MS File & Print Shares. The first is that they must Network the
    same. In this case both should have NetBIOS over IP enabled. Both platforms should have
    the SAME accounts and passwords. For example if you logon as "helmet" on one XP platform
    the other one should have a "helmet" account withy the same password. They don't have to be
    on the same workgroup but, life is easier if the all platforms on the LAN use the SAME
    workgroup name.

    To test the MS Networking first use ping between the peers. Each PC should be able to ping
    each other.

    Next use NBTstat.exe to test its peer. If you get the platforms NetBIOS information you
    should be good to go.

    Example:

    PC1 = 192.168.0.101
    PC2 = 192.168.0.102

    Inside a Command Prompt enter on PC1 --
    PC1> Ping 192.168.0.102
    PC1> nbtstat -A 192.168.0.102

    Inside a Command Prompt enter on PC2 --
    PC2> Ping 192.168.0.101
    PC2> nbtstat -A 192.168.0.101

    If the above provdes good results then you should be able to enter on...

    PC1> \\192.168.0.101

    PC2> \\192.168.0.101

    To see the shares on its peer.

    --
    Dave

    "Dark Helmet" wrote in message
    | Just thought of one other issue. One pc is running XP Pro SP1 while the
    | other is running XP Home SP2. Could the diff SP's be an issue?
    |
    | Dark Helmet

  5. Re: File Sharing Under XP

    "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
    > No ! Service Pack level is a moot point.
    >

    > --
    > Dave

    Well, I did update to SP2 on the 2nd pc, just so I could turn off the
    resource hog Norton Internet Security Suite. Lo and behold, I can now
    access the drives across the network. I realize it shouldn't have made a
    difference, but I did not change anything else. I have a feeling that in
    the long installation process for SP2, it reconfigured something I was doing
    wrong, but I have no idea what.

    Thanks all,

    Dark Helmet

  6. Re: File Sharing Under XP

    NIS probably had a FireWall blocking NetBIOS over IP communications.

    --
    Dave

    | "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
    | > No ! Service Pack level is a moot point.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Dave
    | >

    | Well, I did update to SP2 on the 2nd pc, just so I could turn off the
    | resource hog Norton Internet Security Suite. Lo and behold, I can now
    | access the drives across the network. I realize it shouldn't have made a
    | difference, but I did not change anything else. I have a feeling that in
    | the long installation process for SP2, it reconfigured something I was doing
    | wrong, but I have no idea what.
    |
    | Thanks all,
    |
    | Dark Helmet

  7. Re: File Sharing Under XP

    > NIS probably had a FireWall blocking NetBIOS over IP communications.
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    Ahhh, makes sense!

    Dark Helmet