2 Computers on 1 Router Port? - Routers

This is a discussion on 2 Computers on 1 Router Port? - Routers ; I currently have a Cable modem in my basement, where it feeds my broadband router (D-Link DI-604) which then feeds a punch-down block that runs Cat5e to outlets in most rooms in the house. I have my PC hooked up ...

  1. 2 Computers on 1 Router Port?

    I currently have a Cable modem in my basement, where it feeds my broadband
    router (D-Link DI-604) which then feeds a punch-down block that runs Cat5e
    to outlets in most rooms in the house. I have my PC hooked up in one room
    and an XBox in the family room. It's worked very well for quite awhile now.
    I was thinking about putting a pc in the same room as the XBox, but of
    course there is only one Cat5e outlet/cable running to that room. Is there
    a simple way to use some piece of networking gear to have both the XBox and
    pc running off the same outlet, which in turn is hooked in to one port on
    the broadband router? Can I use some sort of router at this point to have
    both machines connected at this single point? The D-Link router only has 4
    ports, no uplink ports, if that matters. I would also not expect to ever
    have the XBox and this other pc running at the same time (the pc would be
    hooked up to the tv).

    I'm pretty good with pc's, but no very fluent in networking.

    Thanks,

    Dark Helmet

  2. Re: 2 Computers on 1 Router Port?

    "Dark Helmet" wrote in message
    > I currently have a Cable modem in my basement, where it feeds my broadband
    > router (D-Link DI-604) which then feeds a punch-down block that runs Cat5e
    > to outlets in most rooms in the house. I have my PC hooked up in one room
    > and an XBox in the family room. It's worked very well for quite awhile

    now.
    > I was thinking about putting a pc in the same room as the XBox, but of
    > course there is only one Cat5e outlet/cable running to that room. Is

    there
    > a simple way to use some piece of networking gear to have both the XBox

    and
    > pc running off the same outlet, which in turn is hooked in to one port on
    > the broadband router? Can I use some sort of router at this point to have
    > both machines connected at this single point? The D-Link router only has

    4
    > ports, no uplink ports, if that matters. I would also not expect to ever
    > have the XBox and this other pc running at the same time (the pc would be
    > hooked up to the tv).
    >
    > I'm pretty good with pc's, but no very fluent in networking.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dark Helmet

    Yep

    just put a small Ethernet switch in - say a 4 port job, one port to the
    outlet, one to each device and a spare.

    Cheers, Mike

  3. Re: 2 Computers on 1 Router Port?

    Get a standard 10/100Mb/s Ethernet hub or a 10/100Mb/s Ethernet switch. They come in 4, 8
    and more ports per device. They are on the shelves of; Office Depot, Office Max, Circuit
    City, Staples, etc....

    The DLink should alow up to 253 devices be shared on its LAN side using combinations of
    Ethernet switches and/or Ethernet hubs hubs.

    --
    Dave

    "Dark Helmet" wrote in message
    | I currently have a Cable modem in my basement, where it feeds my broadband
    | router (D-Link DI-604) which then feeds a punch-down block that runs Cat5e
    | to outlets in most rooms in the house. I have my PC hooked up in one room
    | and an XBox in the family room. It's worked very well for quite awhile now.
    | I was thinking about putting a pc in the same room as the XBox, but of
    | course there is only one Cat5e outlet/cable running to that room. Is there
    | a simple way to use some piece of networking gear to have both the XBox and
    | pc running off the same outlet, which in turn is hooked in to one port on
    | the broadband router? Can I use some sort of router at this point to have
    | both machines connected at this single point? The D-Link router only has 4
    | ports, no uplink ports, if that matters. I would also not expect to ever
    | have the XBox and this other pc running at the same time (the pc would be
    | hooked up to the tv).
    |
    | I'm pretty good with pc's, but no very fluent in networking.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Dark Helmet

  4. Re: 2 Computers on 1 Router Port?

    Thanks to all. Sounds easy enough. (And cheap enough!)

    Dark Helmet

  5. Re: 2 Computers on 1 Router Port?

    "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
    > Get a standard 10/100Mb/s Ethernet hub or a 10/100Mb/s Ethernet switch.
    > They come in 4, 8
    > and more ports per device. They are on the shelves of; Office Depot,
    > Office Max, Circuit
    > City, Staples, etc....
    >
    > The DLink should alow up to 253 devices be shared on its LAN side using
    > combinations of
    > Ethernet switches and/or Ethernet hubs hubs.
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    Hmm, after digging a little further, I'm a little confused as to the type of
    cable to use for each connection. Would I use straight-through or crossover
    for each of the follwing:

    1. Wall outlet to switch (outlet is connected to router)
    2. Switch to pc
    3. Switch Xbox (okay, this should be the same as #2)

    In looking at the D-Link DSS-5+, it simply has 5 Auto-MDI jacks. I kind of
    expected 1 type of input jack and 4 out, so to speak. Not sure I understand
    this set-up completely.

    Thanks,

    Dark Helmet

  6. Re: 2 Computers on 1 Router Port?

    All Ethernet switches and hubs have built-in cross-over. This is usually identified as the
    upload port. While all normal ports are referred to as MDI, the upload port is identified
    as MDI-X which is crossed-over. Many come with a switch such that you can choose between
    MDI and MDI-X. So you only need straight-thru cables.

    --
    Dave

    | "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
    | > Get a standard 10/100Mb/s Ethernet hub or a 10/100Mb/s Ethernet switch.
    | > They come in 4, 8
    | > and more ports per device. They are on the shelves of; Office Depot,
    | > Office Max, Circuit
    | > City, Staples, etc....
    | >
    | > The DLink should alow up to 253 devices be shared on its LAN side using
    | > combinations of
    | > Ethernet switches and/or Ethernet hubs hubs.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Dave
    | >

    | Hmm, after digging a little further, I'm a little confused as to the type of
    | cable to use for each connection. Would I use straight-through or crossover
    | for each of the follwing:
    |
    | 1. Wall outlet to switch (outlet is connected to router)
    | 2. Switch to pc
    | 3. Switch Xbox (okay, this should be the same as #2)
    |
    | In looking at the D-Link DSS-5+, it simply has 5 Auto-MDI jacks. I kind of
    | expected 1 type of input jack and 4 out, so to speak. Not sure I understand
    | this set-up completely.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Dark Helmet

  7. Re: 2 Computers on 1 Router Port?

    > All Ethernet switches and hubs have built-in cross-over. This is usually
    > identified as the
    > upload port. While all normal ports are referred to as MDI, the upload
    > port is identified
    > as MDI-X which is crossed-over. Many come with a switch such that you can
    > choose between
    > MDI and MDI-X. So you only need straight-thru cables.
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    So, this D-Link switch has all 5 ports as Auto-MDI and no dedicated uplink
    port. Does this mean that it senses which port has the router connected to
    it and turns it into the uplink port?

    Dark Helmet

  8. Re: 2 Computers on 1 Router Port?

    What's the DLink part number ?

    --
    Dave

    | So, this D-Link switch has all 5 ports as Auto-MDI and no dedicated uplink
    | port. Does this mean that it senses which port has the router connected to
    | it and turns it into the uplink port?
    |
    | Dark Helmet

  9. Re: 2 Computers on 1 Router Port?

    > What's the DLink part number ?
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    DSS-5+

    Dark Helmet

  10. Re: 2 Computers on 1 Router Port?

    Yep, you can't get it easier than that. 10/100Mb/s E-switch with auto-MDI/MDI-X selection.

    Go for it.

    --
    Dave

    | DSS-5+