Can't ping computers on my LAN - Routers

This is a discussion on Can't ping computers on my LAN - Routers ; I'm using an FM114P and all computers on my network connect to the internet (WAN) just fine. I'm running WinXP Pro and Home on my computers and all are set up to share, but cannot. I've done an IPCONFIG to ...

  1. Can't ping computers on my LAN

    I'm using an FM114P and all computers on my network connect to the internet
    (WAN) just fine. I'm running WinXP Pro and Home on my computers and all are
    set up to share, but cannot. I've done an IPCONFIG to confirm my IPs and
    PING'd from each computer with negative results. What gives? How do I set
    up the router to allow computers within the LAN to file share/print share?
    Running the Windows Network Troubleshooter, it appears the router is the
    culprit (since I cannot PING another computer on my network), how do I get
    my Netgear to allow file sharing etc?

    TIA!!

    JK

  2. Re: Can't ping computers on my LAN

    Have you tried turning off Windows Firewall on your machines? I also
    presume you aren't running any other software firewalls.

    Richard

    "John Wayne" wrote in message
    > I'm using an FM114P and all computers on my network connect to the
    > internet
    > (WAN) just fine. I'm running WinXP Pro and Home on my computers and all
    > are
    > set up to share, but cannot. I've done an IPCONFIG to confirm my IPs and
    > PING'd from each computer with negative results. What gives? How do I
    > set
    > up the router to allow computers within the LAN to file share/print share?
    > Running the Windows Network Troubleshooter, it appears the router is the
    > culprit (since I cannot PING another computer on my network), how do I get
    > my Netgear to allow file sharing etc?
    >
    > TIA!!
    >
    > JK

  3. Re: Can't ping computers on my LAN

    I do actually have another firewall, but thought it was configured
    correctly. I'll disable and see...
    I did disable it on one computer and was unable to ping it from the other.
    I'll attempt a complete disable and see if I get better results.

    "Richard Forester" wrote in message
    > Have you tried turning off Windows Firewall on your machines? I also
    > presume you aren't running any other software firewalls.
    >
    > Richard
    >
    > "John Wayne" wrote in message
    > > I'm using an FM114P and all computers on my network connect to the
    > > internet
    > > (WAN) just fine. I'm running WinXP Pro and Home on my computers and all
    > > are
    > > set up to share, but cannot. I've done an IPCONFIG to confirm my IPs

    and
    > > PING'd from each computer with negative results. What gives? How do I
    > > set
    > > up the router to allow computers within the LAN to file share/print

    share?
    > > Running the Windows Network Troubleshooter, it appears the router is the
    > > culprit (since I cannot PING another computer on my network), how do I

    get
    > > my Netgear to allow file sharing etc?
    > >
    > > TIA!!
    > >
    > > JK

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----

  4. Re: Can't ping computers on my LAN

    Doh! It was my Symantec Firewall. Nice to know it works so well... Now
    the big question, how to configure so the firewall is active but allows
    file/print sharing only with the computers I specify?

    JK
    "John Wayne" wrote in message
    > I do actually have another firewall, but thought it was configured
    > correctly. I'll disable and see...
    > I did disable it on one computer and was unable to ping it from the other.
    > I'll attempt a complete disable and see if I get better results.
    >

    > "Richard Forester" wrote in message
    > > Have you tried turning off Windows Firewall on your machines? I also
    > > presume you aren't running any other software firewalls.
    > >
    > > Richard
    > >
    > > "John Wayne" wrote in message
    > > > I'm using an FM114P and all computers on my network connect to the
    > > > internet
    > > > (WAN) just fine. I'm running WinXP Pro and Home on my computers and

    all
    > > > are
    > > > set up to share, but cannot. I've done an IPCONFIG to confirm my IPs

    > and
    > > > PING'd from each computer with negative results. What gives? How do

    > > > set
    > > > up the router to allow computers within the LAN to file share/print

    > share?
    > > > Running the Windows Network Troubleshooter, it appears the router is

    the
    > > > culprit (since I cannot PING another computer on my network), how do I

    > get
    > > > my Netgear to allow file sharing etc?
    > > >
    > > > TIA!!
    > > >
    > > > JK

    > News==----
    > > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+

    > Newsgroups
    > > ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

    > =----

  5. Re: Can't ping computers on my LAN

    "John Wayne" wrote in message
    > Doh! It was my Symantec Firewall. Nice to know it works so well... Now
    > the big question, how to configure so the firewall is active but allows
    > file/print sharing only with the computers I specify?

    Setup firwall to allow all traffic in the network to/from addresses
    192.168.0.0 upto 192.168.255.255
    That should do the trick

    (replace addresses if you are using other lan-address range, but always
    x.x.0.0 upto x.x.255.255)

+ Reply to Thread