LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP - Routers

This is a discussion on LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP - Routers ; Hi. I have a LinkSys BEFSR81 version 3 with the latest firmware (2.50.2). It seems to work OK yet it does not allow me to FTP through it (from an external client to a server on my network), not even ...

  1. LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP

    Hi.

    I have a LinkSys BEFSR81 version 3 with the latest firmware (2.50.2).
    It seems to work OK yet it does not allow me to FTP through it (from an
    external client to a server on my network), not even when I enable DMZ for
    the server machine's address.

    I get:
    --------
    An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP server. Make sure you have
    permission to access that folder.
    Details:
    200 Type set to A.
    227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,12,83).
    426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
    --------

    With the previous router (an Edimax BR-6104W) I had no problem with FTP, all
    I needed to do was forward port 21 to the server machine. Now this won't do.
    I even explicitly opened port range 1023-65535 from which FTP would pick
    some ports to do further communication after initial contact. Still no luck.

    Does anyone know how to fix this? I can access a web server just fine.

    Regards, Martin.

  2. Re: LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP

    I have the BEFSR81 v1 so I can't be sure it's the same URL but go to ...

    http://192.168.1.1/Forward.htm

    Set the IP address of the FTP server to a static address.
    Forward TCP ports 20~21 to the static IP address of the FTP server.

    --
    Dave

    "Martin Maat" wrote in message
    | Hi.
    |
    | I have a LinkSys BEFSR81 version 3 with the latest firmware (2.50.2).
    | It seems to work OK yet it does not allow me to FTP through it (from an
    | external client to a server on my network), not even when I enable DMZ for
    | the server machine's address.
    |
    | I get:
    | --------
    | An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP server. Make sure you have
    | permission to access that folder.
    | Details:
    | 200 Type set to A.
    | 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,12,83).
    | 426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
    | --------
    |
    | With the previous router (an Edimax BR-6104W) I had no problem with FTP, all
    | I needed to do was forward port 21 to the server machine. Now this won't do.
    | I even explicitly opened port range 1023-65535 from which FTP would pick
    | some ports to do further communication after initial contact. Still no luck.
    |
    | Does anyone know how to fix this? I can access a web server just fine.
    |
    | Regards, Martin.

  3. Re: LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP

    "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
    >I have the BEFSR81 v1 so I can't be sure it's the same URL but go to ...
    >
    > http://192.168.1.1/Forward.htm

    Thank you for responding.

    My modem already occupied 192.168.1.1 so I incremented the last octet. With
    me it is
    http://192.168.1.2/UPnP.htm

    > Set the IP address of the FTP server to a static address.
    > Forward TCP ports 20~21 to the static IP address of the FTP server.

    I didn't have a forward set for port 20. I do now, did it for UDP too just
    in case. Unfortunately, no improvement.

    Martin.

    > "Martin Maat" wrote in message
    > | Hi.
    > |
    > | I have a LinkSys BEFSR81 version 3 with the latest firmware (2.50.2).
    > | It seems to work OK yet it does not allow me to FTP through it (from an
    > | external client to a server on my network), not even when I enable DMZ
    > for
    > | the server machine's address.
    > |
    > | I get:
    > | --------
    > | An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP server. Make sure you
    > have
    > | permission to access that folder.
    > | Details:
    > | 200 Type set to A.
    > | 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,12,83).
    > | 426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
    > | --------
    > |
    > | With the previous router (an Edimax BR-6104W) I had no problem with FTP,
    > all
    > | I needed to do was forward port 21 to the server machine. Now this won't
    > do.
    > | I even explicitly opened port range 1023-65535 from which FTP would pick
    > | some ports to do further communication after initial contact. Still no
    > luck.
    > |
    > | Does anyone know how to fix this? I can access a web server just fine.
    > |
    > | Regards, Martin.

  4. Re: LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP

    What kind of modem are you using that would be on the SAME LAN segment ?

    The modem should be on the WAN segment and therefore should not conflict with the LAN side.

    --

    | "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
    | >I have the BEFSR81 v1 so I can't be sure it's the same URL but go to ...
    | >
    | > http://192.168.1.1/Forward.htm
    |
    | Thank you for responding.
    |
    | My modem already occupied 192.168.1.1 so I incremented the last octet. With
    | me it is
    | http://192.168.1.2/UPnP.htm
    |
    | > Set the IP address of the FTP server to a static address.
    | > Forward TCP ports 20~21 to the static IP address of the FTP server.
    |
    | I didn't have a forward set for port 20. I do now, did it for UDP too just
    | in case. Unfortunately, no improvement.
    |
    | Martin.
    |
    | > "Martin Maat" wrote in message
    | > | Hi.
    | > |
    | > | I have a LinkSys BEFSR81 version 3 with the latest firmware (2.50.2).
    | > | It seems to work OK yet it does not allow me to FTP through it (from an
    | > | external client to a server on my network), not even when I enable DMZ
    | > for
    | > | the server machine's address.
    | > |
    | > | I get:
    | > | --------
    | > | An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP server. Make sure you
    | > have
    | > | permission to access that folder.
    | > | Details:
    | > | 200 Type set to A.
    | > | 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,12,83).
    | > | 426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
    | > | --------
    | > |
    | > | With the previous router (an Edimax BR-6104W) I had no problem with FTP,
    | > all
    | > | I needed to do was forward port 21 to the server machine. Now this won't
    | > do.
    | > | I even explicitly opened port range 1023-65535 from which FTP would pick
    | > | some ports to do further communication after initial contact. Still no
    | > luck.
    | > |
    | > | Does anyone know how to fix this? I can access a web server just fine.
    | > |
    | > | Regards, Martin.

  5. Re: LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > What kind of modem are you using that would be on
    > the SAME LAN segment ?

    It normally isn't, only if I have problems and need to reconfigure the modem
    or make sure the settings are right it is connected to the LAN.

    > The modem should be on the WAN segment and therefore
    > should not conflict with the LAN side.

    Perhaps it might as well have the same address as the router, being on a
    different network. I just didn't want to take any chances and it would be
    confusing to me to have two devices with the same IP address. If I need the
    help desk they will ask me to temporarily take out the router and Telnet to
    the modem. It just makes things easier this way.

    Martin.

  6. Re: LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP

    both ports have to be forwarded 20,21 do not need DMZ, you must have a
    static addy in computer for this to work.

    KK

    "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
    > I have the BEFSR81 v1 so I can't be sure it's the same URL but go to ...
    >
    > http://192.168.1.1/Forward.htm
    >
    > Set the IP address of the FTP server to a static address.
    > Forward TCP ports 20~21 to the static IP address of the FTP server.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    >

    > "Martin Maat" wrote in message
    > | Hi.
    > |
    > | I have a LinkSys BEFSR81 version 3 with the latest firmware (2.50.2).
    > | It seems to work OK yet it does not allow me to FTP through it (from an
    > | external client to a server on my network), not even when I enable DMZ

    for
    > | the server machine's address.
    > |
    > | I get:
    > | --------
    > | An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP server. Make sure you

    have
    > | permission to access that folder.
    > | Details:
    > | 200 Type set to A.
    > | 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,12,83).
    > | 426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
    > | --------
    > |
    > | With the previous router (an Edimax BR-6104W) I had no problem with FTP,

    all
    > | I needed to do was forward port 21 to the server machine. Now this won't

    do.
    > | I even explicitly opened port range 1023-65535 from which FTP would pick
    > | some ports to do further communication after initial contact. Still no

    luck.

    > | Does anyone know how to fix this? I can access a web server just fine.
    > |
    > | Regards, Martin.

  7. Re: LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP

    Kaptain Krunch wrote:

    [FTP server behind router]

    > both ports have to be forwarded 20,21 do not need DMZ,
    > you must have a static addy in computer for this to work.

    Yes, I have all that. Still no luck though, I still get

    --------
    An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP server. Make sure you have
    permission to access that folder.
    Details:
    200 Type set to A.
    227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,12,83).
    426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
    --------

    The 12,83 may vary, the rest is always the same.

    I've read a report of someone with older firmware who could use FTP. I'm not
    sure with what client, I use IE as an FTP client and I have read another
    report stating this problem occurs more often with IE for some unknown
    reason. Again, Edimax never had trouble with it and I never used anything
    but IE as a client.

    There's an answer to a FAQ on LinkSys's site providing instructions on port
    forwarding, specifically making FTP work. It appeared I could tell them
    whether that answer was helpul and when I answered no (0%) I could complain
    in clear text and provide my e-mail address. I will now hold on to the idea
    that someone will actually respond and fix my problem, I think I should be
    able to keep that up for a day or so. Then I'll complain here again.

    Martin.

  8. Re: LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP

    Are you trying from a LAN node or an Internet location ?

    Specifically, what is the POV of the FTP Client ?

    --

    | Kaptain Krunch wrote:
    |
    | [FTP server behind router]
    |
    | > both ports have to be forwarded 20,21 do not need DMZ,
    | > you must have a static addy in computer for this to work.
    |
    | Yes, I have all that. Still no luck though, I still get
    |
    | --------
    | An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP server. Make sure you have
    | permission to access that folder.
    | Details:
    | 200 Type set to A.
    | 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,12,83).
    | 426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
    | --------
    |
    | The 12,83 may vary, the rest is always the same.
    |
    | I've read a report of someone with older firmware who could use FTP. I'm not
    | sure with what client, I use IE as an FTP client and I have read another
    | report stating this problem occurs more often with IE for some unknown
    | reason. Again, Edimax never had trouble with it and I never used anything
    | but IE as a client.
    |

    | There's an answer to a FAQ on LinkSys's site providing instructions on port
    | forwarding, specifically making FTP work. It appeared I could tell them
    | whether that answer was helpul and when I answered no (0%) I could complain
    | in clear text and provide my e-mail address. I will now hold on to the idea
    | that someone will actually respond and fix my problem, I think I should be
    | able to keep that up for a day or so. Then I'll complain here again.
    |
    | Martin.

  9. Re: LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > "Martin Maat" wrote in message
    >> Kaptain Krunch wrote:
    >>
    >> [FTP server behind router]
    >>
    >>> both ports have to be forwarded 20,21 do not need DMZ,
    >>> you must have a static addy in computer for this to work.

    >> Yes, I have all that. Still no luck though, I still get
    >>
    >> --------
    >> An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP server. Make sure
    >> you have permission to access that folder.
    >> Details:
    >> 200 Type set to A.
    >> 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,12,83).
    >> 426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
    >> --------
    >>
    >> The 12,83 may vary, the rest is always the same.
    >>
    >> I've read a report of someone with older firmware who could use FTP.
    >> I'm not sure with what client, I use IE as an FTP client and I have
    >> read another report stating this problem occurs more often with IE
    >> for some unknown reason. Again, Edimax never had trouble with it and
    >> I never used anything but IE as a client.
    >>

    >> There's an answer to a FAQ on LinkSys's site providing instructions
    >> on port forwarding, specifically making FTP work. It appeared I
    >> could tell them whether that answer was helpul and when I answered
    >> no (0%) I could complain in clear text and provide my e-mail
    >> address. I will now hold on to the idea that someone will actually
    >> respond and fix my problem, I think I should be able to keep that up
    >> for a day or so. Then I'll complain here again.
    >>
    >> Martin.

    > Are you trying from a LAN node or an Internet location ?
    >
    > Specifically, what is the POV of the FTP Client ?

    I am trying from the same LAN, using the external address. If I use
    192.168.2.100 (the server's internal address) it works fine. Do I target the
    same server by its external address, I get the error. And when I chat with
    people and ask them to try they get the same error.

    It is really a router issue, like I said the only difference from when it
    still worked is the LinkSys instead of the Edimax router. I might as well
    put back the Edimax, I replaced it mainly because I had vague problems
    (connection drops) which continued to exist with the LinkSys and now _seem_
    to be fixed by hard-setting the server's EtherNet card to 100 MBit/s Full
    Duplex. It used to be a matter of rebooting and keeping your fingers
    crossed, at some point I noticed the dropped connection was immediately
    restored when I changed the NIC setting from auto to 100 FD. I haven't had a
    drop since, I hope that was it but I'm still not sure and there were other
    issues with the Edimax, like flash not registering virtual server changes
    any longer (the only way to make them stick is edit them off-line and flash
    an entire image). The Edimax only has 4 ports and I put quite a bit of
    effort in the change so I am not emotionally ready to go back to the way
    things were at the start yet. I may do it though and sell the LinkSys to
    someone who doesn't care about FTP if this appears impossible with the
    LinkSys BEFSR81.

    Martin.

  10. Re: LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP

    The only way to truly test the FTP is via the WAN address. For example if you had a shell
    account on a Internet Unix Server then you could Telnet into that Internet site then FTP
    back into your WAN address.

    --

> [...]
    | to be fixed by hard-setting the server's EtherNet card to 100 MBit/s Full
    | Duplex. It used to be a matter of rebooting and keeping your fingers
    | crossed, at some point I noticed the dropped connection was immediately
    | restored when I changed the NIC setting from auto to 100 FD. I haven't had a
    | drop since, I hope that was it but I'm still not sure and there were other
    | issues with the Edimax, like flash not registering virtual server changes
    | any longer (the only way to make them stick is edit them off-line and flash
    | an entire image). The Edimax only has 4 ports and I put quite a bit of
    | effort in the change so I am not emotionally ready to go back to the way
    | things were at the start yet. I may do it though and sell the LinkSys to
    | someone who doesn't care about FTP if this appears impossible with the

  11. Re: LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP

    What are you using for a FTP client and how is it configured? Same goes for
    the server.

    The big clue is right in front of you.

    --------
    An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP server. Make sure you have
    permission to access that folder.
    Details:
    200 Type set to A.
    227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,12,83).
    426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
    --------

    If you really do have ports 20 and 21 forwarded to the static address of
    your FTP server then the router setup is likely OK. The problem may lay with
    your FTP client and or server configuration. The clue is the "Entering
    Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,12,83)" the address should be 192,168,1,100,20
    if it is working right without the passive mode message.

    It looks to me like the server is trying to open a data channel port of
    (12*256)+83=3155. If for some reason the client, or server, can't use that
    port you'll get that message or some other one. It all basically means the
    client and server can't send data back and forth using this port. Port 21 is
    just the command port directing the server what to do and sending status
    info back to the client. You'll be able to log on to the server but
    directory listings etc will fail if the data channel can't be opened.

    http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

    >> I've read a report of someone with older firmware who could use FTP.
    >> I'm not sure with what client, I use IE as an FTP client and I have
    >> read another report stating this problem occurs more often with IE
    >> for some unknown reason. Again, Edimax never had trouble with it and
    >> I never used anything but IE as a client.

    Try the suggestions here for IE as a FTP client.

    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270_11-5254095.html

    --
    Leland C. Scott
    KC8LDO

    Wireless Network
    Mobile computing
    on the go brought
    to you by Micro$oft

  12. Re: LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP

    Leland C. Scott wrote:

    Thanks for thinking with me.

    > What are you using for a FTP client and how is it configured? Same
    > goes for the server.
    >
    > The big clue is right in front of you.

    The FTP client is Internet Explorer and this is rather important, my typical
    application is to say to people (Windows users) that I will "put it on my
    FTP-site" and send them a link they can just click and then drag over their
    files.

    > --------
    > An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP server. Make sure
    > you have permission to access that folder.
    > Details:
    > 200 Type set to A.
    > 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,12,83).
    > 426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
    > --------
    >
    > If you really do have ports 20 and 21 forwarded to the static address
    > of your FTP server then the router setup is likely OK. The problem
    > may lay with your FTP client and or server configuration. The clue is
    > the "Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,12,83)" the address should
    > be 192,168,1,100,20 if it is working right without the passive mode
    > message.
    >
    > It looks to me like the server is trying to open a data channel port
    > of (12*256)+83=3155. If for some reason the client, or server, can't
    > use that port you'll get that message or some other one. It all
    > basically means the client and server can't send data back and forth
    > using this port. Port 21 is just the command port directing the
    > server what to do and sending status info back to the client. You'll
    > be able to log on to the server but directory listings etc will fail
    > if the data channel can't be opened.
    >
    > http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

    Interesting though not helpful.

    >>> I've read a report of someone with older firmware who could use FTP.
    >>> I'm not sure with what client, I use IE as an FTP client and I have
    >>> read another report stating this problem occurs more often with IE
    >>> for some unknown reason. Again, Edimax never had trouble with it and
    >>> I never used anything but IE as a client.

    > Try the suggestions here for IE as a FTP client.
    >
    > http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270_11-5254095.html

    The recommended settings seem to be the defaults, I already had them set as
    suggested.

    The last thing I tried was a combination of the following:
    - turn off the Windows firewall
    - enable DMZ for server machine
    - forward port range 0 - 65535 to server machine

    Still the same error. It doesn't make sense, does it?

    Regards, Martin.

  13. Re: LinkSys BEFSR81 and FTP

    > Leland C. Scott wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for thinking with me.
    >
    > > What are you using for a FTP client and how is it configured? Same
    > > goes for the server.
    > >
    > > The big clue is right in front of you.

    > The FTP client is Internet Explorer and this is rather important, my

    typical
    > application is to say to people (Windows users) that I will "put it on my
    > FTP-site" and send them a link they can just click and then drag over

    their
    > files.
    >
    > > --------
    > > An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP server. Make sure
    > > you have permission to access that folder.
    > > Details:
    > > 200 Type set to A.
    > > 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,12,83).
    > > 426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
    > > --------
    > >
    > > If you really do have ports 20 and 21 forwarded to the static address
    > > of your FTP server then the router setup is likely OK. The problem
    > > may lay with your FTP client and or server configuration. The clue is
    > > the "Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,100,12,83)" the address should
    > > be 192,168,1,100,20 if it is working right without the passive mode
    > > message.
    > >
    > > It looks to me like the server is trying to open a data channel port
    > > of (12*256)+83=3155. If for some reason the client, or server, can't
    > > use that port you'll get that message or some other one. It all
    > > basically means the client and server can't send data back and forth
    > > using this port. Port 21 is just the command port directing the
    > > server what to do and sending status info back to the client. You'll
    > > be able to log on to the server but directory listings etc will fail
    > > if the data channel can't be opened.
    > >
    > > http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

    > Interesting though not helpful.

    > > Try the suggestions here for IE as a FTP client.
    > >
    > > http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270_11-5254095.html

    > The recommended settings seem to be the defaults, I already had them set

    as
    > suggested.
    >
    > The last thing I tried was a combination of the following:
    > - turn off the Windows firewall
    > - enable DMZ for server machine
    > - forward port range 0 - 65535 to server machine
    >
    > Still the same error. It doesn't make sense, does it?

    It does seem a bit weird. I use a Linksys WRT54G router and Filezilla FTP
    server running on my home LAN under Win98SE. This combo seems to work just
    fine. I have it configured to run in passive mode.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

    I guess one other thing to try is bypass the router completely, connect your
    server directly to the Internet, temporraly for testing, and see if that
    works. It maybe also of some help if you can look at both the server
    connection logs and the client connection logs. It may give more clues as to
    what is going on. I do know, if I remeber right, that the later version of
    Windows doesn't leave ports above 5000 open for use. If the client or server
    is trying to use that port range in passive mode then even if everything,
    router - server - client, are setup OK it still may not work.

    Here is some more info on FTP and Windows.

    Leland C. Scott
    KC8LDO

    Wireless Network
    Mobile computing