Can't connect to company's remote desktop or website - Routers

This is a discussion on Can't connect to company's remote desktop or website - Routers ; I previously had a Linksys Wireless router. I had one desktop computer and two laptops at home. Which all connected no problem to a work computer I am trying to access. Then the router fried. I then got a new ...

  1. Can't connect to company's remote desktop or website

    I previously had a Linksys Wireless router. I had one desktop computer and
    two laptops at home. Which all connected no problem to a work computer I am
    trying to access. Then the router fried. I then got a new Linksys Wiress 54g
    (wrt54g). Now all of a sudden, none of the computers on my home network can
    connect to the work computer, although my laptop can connect when I am at
    work. I tried forwarding port 3389 and many of the fixes I read about
    including any firewall issues. I am using Windows firewall and Nortons
    antivirus. But it worked/works with all my current computer settings. Just
    hasn't since the router went. Are there any settings I could be missing on
    the router setup? It worked without any configuration on my previous router
    and seems to work for everyone but me. It won't even let me access my
    companies homepage from home. which is just a website and i havent any
    issues with any other site.
    Thanks for any insight.
    Nicki

  2. Re: Can't connect to company's remote desktop or website

    On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:17:05 -0500, "Nicki" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

    > I previously had a Linksys Wireless router. I had one desktop computer and
    >two laptops at home. Which all connected no problem to a work computer I am
    >trying to access. Then the router fried. I then got a new Linksys Wiress 54g
    >(wrt54g). Now all of a sudden, none of the computers on my home network can
    >connect to the work computer, although my laptop can connect when I am at
    >work. I tried forwarding port 3389 and many of the fixes I read about
    >including any firewall issues. I am using Windows firewall and Nortons
    >antivirus. But it worked/works with all my current computer settings. Just
    >hasn't since the router went. Are there any settings I could be missing on
    >the router setup? It worked without any configuration on my previous router
    >and seems to work for everyone but me. It won't even let me access my
    >companies homepage from home. which is just a website and i havent any
    >issues with any other site.
    > Thanks for any insight.
    > Nicki

    Nicki,

    Can you provide more detail about the previous router (model #), and how it was
    setup? Was it a VPN connected to the work computer (by work computer, you do
    mean a computer on the LAN at your place of employment)?

    Can all 3 computers communicate with each other, even though they can't
    communicate with the work computer? Do you need to access the work computer
    from any particular 1 of the 3? Do you need to have the 3 communicating even
    when accessing the work computer? Do you need to have internet access when
    simultaneously accessing the work computer?

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

  3. Re: Can't connect to company's remote desktop or website

    I'm a little confused about your description of the problem. Since your
    host computer is at work, and worked previously, forwarding port 3389 should
    have nothing to do with your problem. Since you're making an OUTBOUND RDP
    connection to work, forwarding 3389 on your lan is an empty gesture.

    Provide a little more data.

    o Does the work system have a static public ip? Has it changed?
    o can you ping the IP address of the system at your work?
    o Did the forwarding rules on the router/work system get changed/turned off?
    o Is there/was there a VPN connection happening? Ie, are you rdp'ing to the
    public ip, or are you
    vpn'ing into the work system, then rdping through the vpn tunnel?
    o If you take the router off your network, put your computer directly
    against the internet, can you make a connection that way? (ie, take the
    router out of the picture altogether)

    Changing your router at home should have very little to do with an outbound
    connection. My guess is that there's something ELSE that changed at the
    same time as the router, and you're either not aware of it, or aren't
    providing those details because you may not consider them significant.

    I have this VERY same router at home and have no trouble with it (well,
    there is an issue with an inbound VPN connection, but that's a know issue
    with the router and has nothing to do with what you're doing). I make both
    inbound and outbound RDP connections to it.

    Paul

    "Nicki" wrote in message
    > I previously had a Linksys Wireless router. I had one desktop computer

    and
    > two laptops at home. Which all connected no problem to a work computer I

    am
    > trying to access. Then the router fried. I then got a new Linksys Wiress

    54g
    > (wrt54g). Now all of a sudden, none of the computers on my home network

    can
    > connect to the work computer, although my laptop can connect when I am at
    > work. I tried forwarding port 3389 and many of the fixes I read about
    > including any firewall issues. I am using Windows firewall and Nortons
    > antivirus. But it worked/works with all my current computer settings. Just
    > hasn't since the router went. Are there any settings I could be missing on
    > the router setup? It worked without any configuration on my previous

    router
    > and seems to work for everyone but me. It won't even let me access my
    > companies homepage from home. which is just a website and i havent any
    > issues with any other site.
    > Thanks for any insight.
    > Nicki

  4. Re: Can't connect to company's remote desktop or website

    It was a Linksys befw11s4. It was just setup with defaults. Yes, it is a
    computer on a lan at my place of employment. Three computers communicate
    with each other fine. Well any of the three connecting would be an
    improvement, but one particular laptop especially. No, i don't need the
    three communicating. When I connect my modem directly to my computer, it
    works fine. The server I cannot connect to is www.bathsaver.com or
    www.bathsaver.com/exchange which is the mail server.
    "Chuck" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:17:05 -0500, "Nicki" <*email_address_deleted*>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I previously had a Linksys Wireless router. I had one desktop computer
    >> and
    >>two laptops at home. Which all connected no problem to a work computer I
    >>am
    >>trying to access. Then the router fried. I then got a new Linksys Wiress
    >>54g
    >>(wrt54g). Now all of a sudden, none of the computers on my home network
    >>can
    >>connect to the work computer, although my laptop can connect when I am at
    >>work. I tried forwarding port 3389 and many of the fixes I read about
    >>including any firewall issues. I am using Windows firewall and Nortons
    >>antivirus. But it worked/works with all my current computer settings. Just
    >>hasn't since the router went. Are there any settings I could be missing on
    >>the router setup? It worked without any configuration on my previous
    >>router
    >>and seems to work for everyone but me. It won't even let me access my
    >>companies homepage from home. which is just a website and i havent any
    >>issues with any other site.
    >> Thanks for any insight.
    >> Nicki
    >>

    > Nicki,
    >
    > Can you provide more detail about the previous router (model #), and how
    > it was
    > setup? Was it a VPN connected to the work computer (by work computer, you
    > do
    > mean a computer on the LAN at your place of employment)?
    >
    > Can all 3 computers communicate with each other, even though they can't
    > communicate with the work computer? Do you need to access the work
    > computer
    > from any particular 1 of the 3? Do you need to have the 3 communicating
    > even
    > when accessing the work computer? Do you need to have internet access
    > when
    > simultaneously accessing the work computer?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Chuck
    > Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

  5. Re: Can't connect to company's remote desktop or website

    I am not sure if there is a static IP right now, but I can find out. No, I
    can't ping the system at all. None of the forwarding changed. The
    connection works fine without the router.
    I have been chatting with linksys for a while on this problem. I have reset
    the router (holding down reset for 30 seconds and unplugging and
    replugging.) and giving my computer a static ip. Nothing seems to be
    working.

    Thanks for the help.

+ Reply to Thread