Router "BRANDS" - Routers

This is a discussion on Router "BRANDS" - Routers ; Hi All, I'm thinking of linking up a couple of computers for the 1st time. I'm trying to figure out if one brand router is better than another. Stores locally around me sell Belkin, D-Link, LinkSys, and maybe Netgear. All ...

  1. Router "BRANDS"

    Hi All, I'm thinking of linking up a couple of computers for the 1st time.
    I'm trying to figure out if one brand router is better than another.
    Stores locally around me sell Belkin, D-Link, LinkSys, and maybe Netgear.

    All options being equal, dose one brand out perform another?

    Thanks, MrKoko

  2. Re: Router "BRANDS"

    I think most of those routers that are in the same class are all pretty
    good. Some have a kind of hinky interface (d-link) but functionally it's a
    fine router. Linksys offers a router which allows endpoint vpn (assuming
    you have two of them) and that's a cool feature, but few people need it. I
    think that if you're going wireless the dual band Linksys routers give very
    good signal. Possibly better than others. Also, the linksys routers have
    upgradable firmware and you can (if you're into that kind of thing) can get
    'hacked' or 3rd party firmware which will give it features the manufacturer
    never intended. I personally stay away from such things.

    If in the end all you're trying to do is do some basic home networking, you
    probably won't go wrong with many of the routers in the $75 - $150 range. I
    can't speak for the other brands, but I do know that Linksys is pretty good
    about coming out with firmware patches/releases- so if a particular feature
    isn't in the one you buy today, it may have it in a couple of months.

    Paul

    "MrKoko" wrote in message
    > Hi All, I'm thinking of linking up a couple of computers for the 1st time.
    > I'm trying to figure out if one brand router is better than another.
    > Stores locally around me sell Belkin, D-Link, LinkSys, and maybe Netgear.
    >
    > All options being equal, dose one brand out perform another?
    >
    > Thanks, MrKoko

+ Reply to Thread