Help w/ my moms poopy router - Routers

This is a discussion on Help w/ my moms poopy router - Routers ; So my mother has a Belkin F5D5230-4 router. It's total hud! and I entered setup for it to forward the ports to support remote assistance. and the menu system is so archaic that it doesn't even have a clear port ...

  1. Help w/ my moms poopy router

    So my mother has a Belkin F5D5230-4 router. It's total hud! and I entered
    setup for it to forward the ports to support remote assistance. and the menu
    system is so archaic that it doesn't even have a clear port forwarding
    section. So I thought I'd download the manual because there must be a way to
    forward the ports, but as I peer over the manual it really looks like
    there's not. The only thing that looks remotely like port forwarding is this
    section that says "special application settings" and it's got a box that
    asks the "trigger port" and whether it's TCP or UDP then a box asking the
    public port name then asking public type TCP or UDP.

    does this sound familiar to anyone. A little help would be nice. I'm
    thinking that port forwarding isn't an option on this beast.

    Help Please!!!

  2. Re: Help w/ my moms poopy router

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 18:34:07 -0800, "Jason" wrote:

    >So my mother has a Belkin F5D5230-4 router. It's total hud! and I entered
    >setup for it to forward the ports to support remote assistance. and the menu
    >system is so archaic that it doesn't even have a clear port forwarding
    >section. So I thought I'd download the manual because there must be a way to
    >forward the ports, but as I peer over the manual it really looks like
    >there's not. The only thing that looks remotely like port forwarding is this
    >section that says "special application settings" and it's got a box that
    >asks the "trigger port" and whether it's TCP or UDP then a box asking the
    >public port name then asking public type TCP or UDP.
    >
    >does this sound familiar to anyone. A little help would be nice. I'm
    >thinking that port forwarding isn't an option on this beast.
    >
    >Help Please!!!

    Jason,

    Port Triggering is for applications running on your LAN to open different ports
    for return traffic to use, when triggered by outgoing traffic.

    I believe Virtual Server Settings (Page 33) are what you're looking for.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

  3. Re: Help w/ my moms poopy router

    Also sounds somewhat similar to my SMC router configuration. I have the
    SMC7004ABR - if you're really stuck, get the manual for this and peer
    over that and see if it's any more help. (Although, looks like Jason's
    got it.)

    Paul

    Chuck wrote:

    > On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 18:34:07 -0800, "Jason" wrote:
    >

    >>So my mother has a Belkin F5D5230-4 router. It's total hud! and I entered
    >>setup for it to forward the ports to support remote assistance. and the menu
    >>system is so archaic that it doesn't even have a clear port forwarding
    >>section. So I thought I'd download the manual because there must be a way to
    >>forward the ports, but as I peer over the manual it really looks like
    >>there's not. The only thing that looks remotely like port forwarding is this
    >>section that says "special application settings" and it's got a box that
    >>asks the "trigger port" and whether it's TCP or UDP then a box asking the
    >>public port name then asking public type TCP or UDP.
    >>
    >>does this sound familiar to anyone. A little help would be nice. I'm
    >>thinking that port forwarding isn't an option on this beast.
    >>
    >>Help Please!!!

    > Jason,
    >
    > Port Triggering is for applications running on your LAN to open different ports
    > for return traffic to use, when triggered by outgoing traffic.
    >
    > I believe Virtual Server Settings (Page 33) are what you're looking for.

  4. Re: Help w/ my moms poopy router

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:11:28 -0500, Paul E Mak <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

    >Also sounds somewhat similar to my SMC router configuration. I have the
    >SMC7004ABR - if you're really stuck, get the manual for this and peer
    >over that and see if it's any more help. (Although, looks like Jason's
    >got it.)
    >
    >Paul

    Paul,

    Yes, many router manufacturers call this feature Virtual Server. Others call it
    Port Forwarding. You gotta RTFM though to figure it all out.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck