HELP!!! configured router for remote access, but now can't access inet. - Routers

This is a discussion on HELP!!! configured router for remote access, but now can't access inet. - Routers ; I configured my Netgear RP614 router for remote access by forwarding the appropriate ports and enabling the service. I tested remote desktop from my wifes computer and it works great but now the host computer can't access the internet. I ...

  1. HELP!!! configured router for remote access, but now can't access inet.

    I configured my Netgear RP614 router for remote access by forwarding the
    appropriate ports and enabling the service. I tested remote desktop from my
    wifes computer and it works great but now the host computer can't access the
    internet. I tried a few command line tests to see what the problem is and I
    could ping anything outside the LAN. Once I removed the port forwarding on
    the router I can get out to the internet. I'm new at this. Can anyone with
    experience help me?

  2. Re: HELP!!! configured router for remote access, but now can't access inet.

    correction COULDN'T ping anything outside the LAN.

    sorry
    Jason
    "Jason" wrote in message
    >I configured my Netgear RP614 router for remote access by forwarding the
    >appropriate ports and enabling the service. I tested remote desktop from my
    >wifes computer and it works great but now the host computer can't access
    >the internet. I tried a few command line tests to see what the problem is
    >and I could ping anything outside the LAN. Once I removed the port
    >forwarding on the router I can get out to the internet. I'm new at this.
    >Can anyone with experience help me?

  3. Re: HELP!!! configured router for remote access, but now can't access inet.

    Which ports did you forward? What else did you do to the router? The netgear
    has a very limited nat table, and if you are doing anything that fills it
    up, you will intermittently loose internet connectivity.

    "Jason" wrote in message
    >I configured my Netgear RP614 router for remote access by forwarding the
    >appropriate ports and enabling the service. I tested remote desktop from my
    >wifes computer and it works great but now the host computer can't access
    >the internet. I tried a few command line tests to see what the problem is
    >and I could ping anything outside the LAN. Once I removed the port
    >forwarding on the router I can get out to the internet. I'm new at this.
    >Can anyone with experience help me?

  4. Re: HELP!!! configured router for remote access, but now can't access inet.

    I forwarded the default ports. and I didn't do anything else to the router.
    Pretty much all the defaults are in place.

    "Ook" wrote in message
    > Which ports did you forward? What else did you do to the router? The
    > netgear has a very limited nat table, and if you are doing anything that
    > fills it up, you will intermittently loose internet connectivity.
    >
    > "Jason" wrote in message
    >>I configured my Netgear RP614 router for remote access by forwarding the
    >>appropriate ports and enabling the service. I tested remote desktop from
    >>my wifes computer and it works great but now the host computer can't
    >>access the internet. I tried a few command line tests to see what the
    >>problem is and I could ping anything outside the LAN. Once I removed the
    >>port forwarding on the router I can get out to the internet. I'm new at
    >>this. Can anyone with experience help me?

  5. Re: HELP!!! configured router for remote access, but now can't access inet.

    Hmmm what ports did you forward (80?) and what services turned on...

    KK

    "Jason" wrote in message
    > correction COULDN'T ping anything outside the LAN.
    >
    > sorry
    > Jason
    > "Jason" wrote in message
    > >I configured my Netgear RP614 router for remote access by forwarding the
    > >appropriate ports and enabling the service. I tested remote desktop from

    my
    > >wifes computer and it works great but now the host computer can't access
    > >the internet. I tried a few command line tests to see what the problem is
    > >and I could ping anything outside the LAN. Once I removed the port
    > >forwarding on the router I can get out to the internet. I'm new at this.
    > >Can anyone with experience help me?

  6. Re: HELP!!! configured router for remote access, but now can't access inet.

    Jason, I strongly suspect that something in addition to forwarding ports was
    done that you're not telling us, or you don't consider significant. For
    instance, when one does port forwarding, it's not considered a good idea to
    forward to an IP address which is on DHCP behind the router, because it
    might move and you lose your outside connectivity. And, most home networks
    are set up in the most 'out of the box' fashion, which usually includes
    DHCP. If you switched your computer from DHCP to static ip (which is likely
    if you're doing port forwarding), you'll need to manually add DNS server
    entries into your TCP/IP settings on that computer. You can get those
    usually from any other box which is currently on the internet successfully,
    as those are pulled by DHCP.

    I also note that when you say you 'can't ping' anything outside the lan, you
    didn't mention what the result was. "Can't ping" might include the
    following errors:

    'request timed out'
    'destination net unreachable'
    'unknown host [hostname]'
    'TTL expired in transit'

    All of those have VERY different meanings and actually tell a whole story as
    to what might be going wrong. For instance, if you're getting 'request
    timed out', that means that your packets aren't even going out, and it's
    possible that you can;'t ping anything else on the lan. Make sure you don't
    have ANY local firewalls (including built in one's with Windows). They
    often cause more trouble than they solve. If you're getting 'destination
    net unreachable', that could mean that you've got a bad subnet mask, or
    you've got a bogus local ip on either the desktop, or other devices on the
    lan. If you get 'unknown host', then you've more than likely got a DNS
    problem, see my discussion about DHCP vs. Static above.

    Paul

    'no host
    "Jason" wrote in message
    > I forwarded the default ports. and I didn't do anything else to the

    router.
    > Pretty much all the defaults are in place.
    >
    > "Ook" wrote in message
    > > Which ports did you forward? What else did you do to the router? The
    > > netgear has a very limited nat table, and if you are doing anything that
    > > fills it up, you will intermittently loose internet connectivity.
    > >
    > > "Jason" wrote in message
    > >>I configured my Netgear RP614 router for remote access by forwarding the
    > >>appropriate ports and enabling the service. I tested remote desktop from
    > >>my wifes computer and it works great but now the host computer can't
    > >>access the internet. I tried a few command line tests to see what the
    > >>problem is and I could ping anything outside the LAN. Once I removed the
    > >>port forwarding on the router I can get out to the internet. I'm new at
    > >>this. Can anyone with experience help me?

+ Reply to Thread