Wireless access working fine for 3 days then stopped... - Routers

This is a discussion on Wireless access working fine for 3 days then stopped... - Routers ; I just set up a wireless network for my moms computer, it worked fine for 3 days and then just stopped working, it says the active lease has expired, I'm assuming this is what is not allowing her PC to ...

  1. Wireless access working fine for 3 days then stopped...

    I just set up a wireless network for my moms computer, it worked fine for 3
    days and then just stopped working, it says the active lease has expired,
    I'm assuming this is what is not allowing her PC to connect? I've set the
    default lease to over 2000wks but it keeps saying it's expired, sometimes
    when I refresh active leases it will show hers as 2 minutes left and then
    promptly expires after the two minutes is up. Any suggestions? Using a
    motorola WR850g router with WEP128 bit encryption.

  2. Re: Wireless access working fine for 3 days then stopped...

    If there's the option, set the lease time to 0 - for never expire. Some
    routers don't like this or don't allow it. Usually leases are
    automatically re-acquired when they expire. What OS is she using?

    The other thing to do, if you don't want to deal with DHCP leases is to
    set her IP manually. You'll also have to set her DNS and Gateway to
    whatever the router wants, usually 192.168.x.1

    Paul Mak

    Schism wrote:
    > I just set up a wireless network for my moms computer, it worked fine for 3
    > days and then just stopped working, it says the active lease has expired,
    > I'm assuming this is what is not allowing her PC to connect? I've set the
    > default lease to over 2000wks but it keeps saying it's expired, sometimes
    > when I refresh active leases it will show hers as 2 minutes left and then
    > promptly expires after the two minutes is up. Any suggestions? Using a
    > motorola WR850g router with WEP128 bit encryption.

  3. Re: Wireless access working fine for 3 days then stopped...

    "Paul E Mak" wrote in message
    > If there's the option, set the lease time to 0 - for never expire. Some
    > routers don't like this or don't allow it. Usually leases are
    > automatically re-acquired when they expire. What OS is she using?

    I did that and it sets the lease for 24 hours, I set it for 52 weeks and it
    changes to 2 minutes, I just don't understand it.... I'll turn off lan DHCP
    soon and see if that fixes it.

  4. Re: Wireless access working fine for 3 days then stopped...

    > I did that and it sets the lease for 24 hours, I set it for 52 weeks and

    it
    > changes to 2 minutes, I just don't understand it.... I'll turn off lan

    DHCP
    > soon and see if that fixes it.

    Seems to be working fine now... have to wait and see

  5. Re: Wireless access working fine for 3 days then stopped...

    "Schism" wrote in message

    > > I did that and it sets the lease for 24 hours, I set it for 52 weeks and

    > it
    > > changes to 2 minutes, I just don't understand it.... I'll turn off lan

    > DHCP
    > > soon and see if that fixes it.
    > >

    > Seems to be working fine now... have to wait and see

    Well, it still stops working until I restart her computer, then it works
    again, happen to know if this is a problem on the computers side or the
    routers?

  6. Re: Wireless access working fine for 3 days then stopped...

    Try a static IP address.

    Schism wrote:
    > "Schism" wrote in message
    >
    >>>I did that and it sets the lease for 24 hours, I set it for 52 weeks and

    >>it
    >>
    >>>changes to 2 minutes, I just don't understand it.... I'll turn off lan

    >>DHCP
    >>
    >>>soon and see if that fixes it.
    >>>

    >>Seems to be working fine now... have to wait and see
    >>

    > Well, it still stops working until I restart her computer, then it works
    > again, happen to know if this is a problem on the computers side or the
    > routers?

+ Reply to Thread