MSN and routers - Routers

This is a discussion on MSN and routers - Routers ; My friends were having problems with their network, and after fixing it, MSN decided to sign everyone off at the same time at random intervals. Now this happened before, but was caused by one computer flooding the network. Got that ...

  1. MSN and routers

    My friends were having problems with their network, and after fixing it,
    MSN decided to sign everyone off at the same time at random intervals.
    Now this happened before, but was caused by one computer flooding the
    network. Got that problem fixed. They were using a Linksys BEFW11, the
    4 port wireless router. They got rid of that and replaced it with a
    NetGear WGT624 - 4 port wireless G router. MSN is still having the same
    problems. They can connect for a while, chat and whatever, but get
    signed out automatically - sorta like they're being dropped. And seeing
    as all the clients on the LAN are getting dropped at the same time I'm
    assuming that it's either a router setting or a MSN thing. Can someone
    please tell me what to look at? Web works fine. Haven't checked
    streaming video/audio. Is 5 or 6 (B-type) clients too much for the
    router to handle perhaps?

    Paul Mak

  2. Re: MSN and routers

    Check you are on latest firmware.
    Drop the MTU size on the router, try 1350. Seems to fix this problem when i
    have seen it elsewhere (unless your ISP is AOL, when MTU is 1400 (at least
    it is in the UK)).

    If that fails try this:

    I don't think MSN uses any special ports, but to rule this out, open the DMZ
    to one of the computers.

    If the other computers drop, but the one with the DMZ doesn't then you need
    to find out which ports MSN uses, and open them in the firewall rules.

    Important: If you do this, then remember to remove the DMZ after this
    experiment, its really only for use with troubleshooting in this example!

    If the above do not work, post back.

    "Paul E Mak" wrote in message
    > My friends were having problems with their network, and after fixing it,
    > MSN decided to sign everyone off at the same time at random intervals.
    > Now this happened before, but was caused by one computer flooding the
    > network. Got that problem fixed. They were using a Linksys BEFW11, the
    > 4 port wireless router. They got rid of that and replaced it with a
    > NetGear WGT624 - 4 port wireless G router. MSN is still having the same
    > problems. They can connect for a while, chat and whatever, but get
    > signed out automatically - sorta like they're being dropped. And seeing
    > as all the clients on the LAN are getting dropped at the same time I'm
    > assuming that it's either a router setting or a MSN thing. Can someone
    > please tell me what to look at? Web works fine. Haven't checked
    > streaming video/audio. Is 5 or 6 (B-type) clients too much for the
    > router to handle perhaps?
    >
    > Paul Mak

  3. Re: MSN and routers

    Sounds good. Do you have any idea about the load factorZ

    Gary X wrote:
    > Check you are on latest firmware.
    > Drop the MTU size on the router, try 1350. Seems to fix this problem when i
    > have seen it elsewhere (unless your ISP is AOL, when MTU is 1400 (at least
    > it is in the UK)).
    >

    > If that fails try this:
    >
    > I don't think MSN uses any special ports, but to rule this out, open the DMZ
    > to one of the computers.
    >
    > If the other computers drop, but the one with the DMZ doesn't then you need
    > to find out which ports MSN uses, and open them in the firewall rules.
    >
    > Important: If you do this, then remember to remove the DMZ after this
    > experiment, its really only for use with troubleshooting in this example!
    >

    > If the above do not work, post back.
    >

    > "Paul E Mak" wrote in message
    >
    >>My friends were having problems with their network, and after fixing it,
    >> MSN decided to sign everyone off at the same time at random intervals.
    >> Now this happened before, but was caused by one computer flooding the
    >>network. Got that problem fixed. They were using a Linksys BEFW11, the
    >>4 port wireless router. They got rid of that and replaced it with a
    >>NetGear WGT624 - 4 port wireless G router. MSN is still having the same
    >>problems. They can connect for a while, chat and whatever, but get
    >>signed out automatically - sorta like they're being dropped. And seeing
    >>as all the clients on the LAN are getting dropped at the same time I'm
    >>assuming that it's either a router setting or a MSN thing. Can someone
    >>please tell me what to look at? Web works fine. Haven't checked
    >>streaming video/audio. Is 5 or 6 (B-type) clients too much for the
    >>router to handle perhaps?
    >>
    >>Paul Mak

  4. Re: MSN and routers

    No never heard of it, sorry.
    "Paul E Mak" wrote in message
    newsYednfmXL5qIkDTcRVn-gg@rogers.com...
    > Sounds good. Do you have any idea about the load factorZ
    >
    > Gary X wrote:
    > > Check you are on latest firmware.
    > > Drop the MTU size on the router, try 1350. Seems to fix this problem

    when i
    > > have seen it elsewhere (unless your ISP is AOL, when MTU is 1400 (at

    least
    > > it is in the UK)).
    > >

    > > If that fails try this:
    > >
    > > I don't think MSN uses any special ports, but to rule this out, open the

    DMZ
    > > to one of the computers.
    > >
    > > If the other computers drop, but the one with the DMZ doesn't then you

    need
    > > to find out which ports MSN uses, and open them in the firewall rules.
    > >
    > > Important: If you do this, then remember to remove the DMZ after this
    > > experiment, its really only for use with troubleshooting in this

    example!

    > > If the above do not work, post back.
    > >

    > > "Paul E Mak" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>My friends were having problems with their network, and after fixing it,
    > >> MSN decided to sign everyone off at the same time at random intervals.
    > >> Now this happened before, but was caused by one computer flooding the
    > >>network. Got that problem fixed. They were using a Linksys BEFW11, the
    > >>4 port wireless router. They got rid of that and replaced it with a
    > >>NetGear WGT624 - 4 port wireless G router. MSN is still having the same
    > >>problems. They can connect for a while, chat and whatever, but get
    > >>signed out automatically - sorta like they're being dropped. And seeing
    > >>as all the clients on the LAN are getting dropped at the same time I'm
    > >>assuming that it's either a router setting or a MSN thing. Can someone
    > >>please tell me what to look at? Web works fine. Haven't checked
    > >>streaming video/audio. Is 5 or 6 (B-type) clients too much for the
    > >>router to handle perhaps?
    > >>
    > >>Paul Mak

+ Reply to Thread