Access point wiring problems? - Routers

This is a discussion on Access point wiring problems? - Routers ; Hi all, I am kind of new to this, so bear with me. Anyway, the problem that I am having: I have a Linksys Wireless G Router that I have hooked on the bottom floor of my friend's 3 story ...

  1. Access point wiring problems?

    Hi all,

    I am kind of new to this, so bear with me. Anyway, the problem that I am
    having:

    I have a Linksys Wireless G Router that I have hooked on the bottom
    floor of my friend's 3 story house. Reception on the top floor is poor
    at best so I decided to hardwire a Linsys Access Point upstairs. I ran a
    length of Cat 5e through the basement crawl space and up the walls
    outside, then back through and installed an RJ-45 jack on both ends.
    Used the patch cables that were included with the router and access
    point to connect, and the connection light did not come on. On the
    Access Point it blinked intermittently.

    I think the problem is coming from the fact that at the termination
    points, where I connected the jacks, I untwisted the pairs too much. I
    am going over tomorrow to try out this fix, but I wanted to see if there
    is anything else that I should be aware of or look for as a fix if I
    can't get this to work. I don't necessarily need to maintain pure 100mbs
    Cat5 standards; I just need the access point to function properly.

    Thanks.

    Ryan

  2. Re: Access point wiring problems?

    Check your RJ-45 jacks and make darn sure you have a good connection on all
    the wires. Also make sure you have the right wire connected to the correct
    pin at each end too.

    --
    Leland C. Scott
    KC8LDO

    Wireless Network
    Mobile computing
    on the go brought
    to you by Micro$oft

    "The Chairman" wrote in message
    news:Xns95AADC0CB620Fmonsterearthlinknet@140.99.99 .130...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am kind of new to this, so bear with me. Anyway, the problem that I am
    > having:
    >
    > I have a Linksys Wireless G Router that I have hooked on the bottom
    > floor of my friend's 3 story house. Reception on the top floor is poor
    > at best so I decided to hardwire a Linsys Access Point upstairs. I ran a
    > length of Cat 5e through the basement crawl space and up the walls
    > outside, then back through and installed an RJ-45 jack on both ends.
    > Used the patch cables that were included with the router and access
    > point to connect, and the connection light did not come on. On the
    > Access Point it blinked intermittently.
    >
    > I think the problem is coming from the fact that at the termination
    > points, where I connected the jacks, I untwisted the pairs too much. I
    > am going over tomorrow to try out this fix, but I wanted to see if there
    > is anything else that I should be aware of or look for as a fix if I
    > can't get this to work. I don't necessarily need to maintain pure 100mbs
    > Cat5 standards; I just need the access point to function properly.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Ryan

  3. Re: Access point wiring problems?

    "Leland C. Scott" wrote in

    > Check your RJ-45 jacks and make darn sure you have a good connection
    > on all the wires. Also make sure you have the right wire connected to
    > the correct pin at each end too.

    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have gone over the connections as far as the
    pins go many times, and I am pretty sure that that part is right. I'll
    check again tomorrow. I have also used a signal thrower to test the pairs
    and that works. So, I am back to the untwisting of the pairs. Do you know
    if this causes complete lack of connectivity ever?

  4. Re: Access point wiring problems?

    I know you've checked the wires already, but perhaps you don't need the
    cable wired in a "patch" configuration, but in "standard". EG the
    send/receive pairs are NOT crossed. (Or the other way around. You have
    them in standard but you need patch.) The docs for your equipment
    should tell you.

    Paul Mak

    The Chairman wrote:
    > "Leland C. Scott" wrote in
    >

    >>Check your RJ-45 jacks and make darn sure you have a good connection
    >>on all the wires. Also make sure you have the right wire connected to
    >>the correct pin at each end too.
    >>

    > Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have gone over the connections as far as the
    > pins go many times, and I am pretty sure that that part is right. I'll
    > check again tomorrow. I have also used a signal thrower to test the pairs
    > and that works. So, I am back to the untwisting of the pairs. Do you know
    > if this causes complete lack of connectivity ever?

  5. Re: Access point wiring problems?

    Another problem may arise with the wireless access points using the same
    frequency/channel.

    "Paul E Mak" wrote in message
    >I know you've checked the wires already, but perhaps you don't need the
    >cable wired in a "patch" configuration, but in "standard". EG the
    >send/receive pairs are NOT crossed. (Or the other way around. You have
    >them in standard but you need patch.) The docs for your equipment should
    >tell you.
    >
    > Paul Mak
    >
    > The Chairman wrote:
    >> "Leland C. Scott" wrote in
    >>>Check your RJ-45 jacks and make darn sure you have a good connection
    >>>on all the wires. Also make sure you have the right wire connected to
    >>>the correct pin at each end too.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have gone over the connections as far as the
    >> pins go many times, and I am pretty sure that that part is right. I'll
    >> check again tomorrow. I have also used a signal thrower to test the pairs
    >> and that works. So, I am back to the untwisting of the pairs. Do you know
    >> if this causes complete lack of connectivity ever?

  6. Re: Access point wiring problems?

    Thanks to everyone for their replies. I rewired, untwisting and stripping
    less, but I think the problem was that I had wired the loops incorrectly.
    I'm surprised that none of the jack available at Fry's have the newer,
    8pair color codes. They are still red, green, blk, yellow, etc.

    Anyway, thanks for your replies. Very helpful for what to look for in the
    future too.

    Ryan

  7. Re: Access point wiring problems?

    "The Chairman" wrote in message
    news:Xns95ABE4F6E15D7monsterearthlinknet@140.99.99 .130...
    > Thanks to everyone for their replies. I rewired, untwisting and stripping
    > less, but I think the problem was that I had wired the loops incorrectly.
    > I'm surprised that none of the jack available at Fry's have the newer,
    > 8pair color codes. They are still red, green, blk, yellow, etc.

    that doesnt suprise me...regular telephony wiring color coding.

    kk

  8. Re: Access point wiring problems?

    Late reply here, but yes, yes, and YES, untwisting pairs near the connection
    can and eventually will cause a problem called NEXT or "Near End
    Cross-Talk". We spent over a year diagnosing a major intermittent network
    problem to find that the 'cable guy' left too much untwisted, uninsulated
    wire near the crimped jacks in the wall plates. A relatively cheap cable
    tester will tell you if your pins and what not are right- but only a high
    end cable tester (one no real human being can afford) will only tell you
    about things like 'Next'.

    When you say the signal is weak on the 3rd floor, define 'weak'. I have a 3
    story house an although the signal is fairly 'weak', my connection is
    stable. Yes, it drops to about 2megabit, but with a range of 300 feet in
    OPTIMAL conditions, that's expected behaviour. And since most of my network
    activity is occuring over the wan when I'm on the Laptop, anything over
    about 1mb is a wash. I would strongly advise getting a little utility
    called "NetStumbler" and analyze your signal strength, and possibly reorient
    the router on the bottom floor.

    Good luck
    Paul

    "The Chairman" wrote in message
    news:Xns95AB37CC32Amonsterearthlinknet@140.99.99.1 30...
    > "Leland C. Scott" wrote in
    >
    > > Check your RJ-45 jacks and make darn sure you have a good connection
    > > on all the wires. Also make sure you have the right wire connected to
    > > the correct pin at each end too.
    > >

    > Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have gone over the connections as far as the
    > pins go many times, and I am pretty sure that that part is right. I'll
    > check again tomorrow. I have also used a signal thrower to test the pairs
    > and that works. So, I am back to the untwisting of the pairs. Do you know
    > if this causes complete lack of connectivity ever?

+ Reply to Thread