Adding wireless to existing ethernet network - Routers

This is a discussion on Adding wireless to existing ethernet network - Routers ; I have a small (4 port) ethernet peer top peer network with one of the PCs having a PCI ADSL modem providing internet connectivity to the whole network - it also provides file storage and printer access for all connected ...

  1. Adding wireless to existing ethernet network

    I have a small (4 port) ethernet peer top peer network with one of the PCs
    having a PCI ADSL modem providing internet connectivity to the whole
    network - it also provides file storage and printer access for all connected
    PCs). I have recently acquired a tablet PC with 8011b wireless capability
    and am looking for the simplest (OK, cheapest) way to connect this to the
    existing network to share printer/files and more importantly the ADSL
    connection. Can I simply do this by adding a wireless access point to the
    ADSL PC (which is always on) or do I have to buy a new external ADSL
    wireless router (with modem) and connect it to the existing ethernet
    network.

  2. Re: Adding wireless to existing ethernet network

    I'm not sure exactly how much money you want to *not* spend, but there are
    some VERY cheap wireless routers out there, and the headaches of using
    'internet connection sharing' may not be worth it. Plus, you'll be behind a
    router instead of directly up against the WAN (cloud) and this is always a
    good thing. Plus, it will allow to add more devices easily when you add
    them, wireless or wired.

    As far as the stickier problem of it being an ADSL Router/modem, I'm not
    sure. If you have the feature where your ADSL modem is a card in the pc,
    then yes you're going to have to either buy a combined router/modem, or buy
    the two pieces (another reason why we don't like ADSL). I am a little
    confused about your message, you have a PCI adsl modem (which confirms to me
    that it's internal to the PC), but you also refer to a (4 port) p2p network.
    This 4 port thing, is it the HUB? If so, then you should be able to jack a
    WAP (non router, just a wap) into the hub and away you go.

    Paul

    "Chris" wrote in message
    newsrmdnZUrXJTGFALcRVnyrQ@pipex.net...
    > I have a small (4 port) ethernet peer top peer network with one of the PCs
    > having a PCI ADSL modem providing internet connectivity to the whole
    > network - it also provides file storage and printer access for all

    connected
    > PCs). I have recently acquired a tablet PC with 8011b wireless capability
    > and am looking for the simplest (OK, cheapest) way to connect this to the
    > existing network to share printer/files and more importantly the ADSL
    > connection. Can I simply do this by adding a wireless access point to the
    > ADSL PC (which is always on) or do I have to buy a new external ADSL
    > wireless router (with modem) and connect it to the existing ethernet
    > network.

+ Reply to Thread