Should I upgrade my router? - Routers

This is a discussion on Should I upgrade my router? - Routers ; Hello, I am currently using an old Dlink di713-P. The router is working fine; However, I have the opportunity to get my hands on a Netgear wg614 for $20. I could upgrade several of my pcs to 802.11G but due ...

  1. Should I upgrade my router?

    Hello,

    I am currently using an old Dlink di713-P. The router is working fine;
    However, I have the opportunity to get my hands on a Netgear wg614 for
    $20.
    I could upgrade several of my pcs to 802.11G but due to my situation, I
    will be running in a mixed B G environment for the forseeable future,
    as I have several devices that have 802.11B built into their hardware
    and are not upgradable.

    This being the case, how much of a performance boost would I get on the
    systems that I could actually upgrade to G?
    I guess the other positive to the upgrade would be that I would move
    into a router that is still actually being supported and has regular
    firmware upgrades.

    Other than that, thoughts would be appreciated.

    --Al

  2. Re: Should I upgrade my router?

    I've a WG614 sat around doing nothing after upgrading to a WTG634u.
    Personal opinion on the WG614 was that it was OK but that's about all, I
    certainly wouldn't sing its praises from the rooftops.

    Crimson Liar

    "Al Puzzuoli" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1c0144696658460989683@news.giganews.com.. .
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am currently using an old Dlink di713-P. The router is working fine;
    > However, I have the opportunity to get my hands on a Netgear wg614 for
    > $20.
    > I could upgrade several of my pcs to 802.11G but due to my situation, I
    > will be running in a mixed B G environment for the forseeable future,
    > as I have several devices that have 802.11B built into their hardware
    > and are not upgradable.
    >
    > This being the case, how much of a performance boost would I get on the
    > systems that I could actually upgrade to G?
    > I guess the other positive to the upgrade would be that I would move
    > into a router that is still actually being supported and has regular
    > firmware upgrades.
    >
    > Other than that, thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    > --Al

    ---

  3. Re: Should I upgrade my router?

    You won't see any increase in performance. As long as there are 802.11b
    devices in the signal area, 802.11g routers will fall down to 802.11b, for
    all the systems in the signal area.

    Bill Crocker

    "Al Puzzuoli" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1c0144696658460989683@news.giganews.com.. .
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am currently using an old Dlink di713-P. The router is working fine;
    > However, I have the opportunity to get my hands on a Netgear wg614 for
    > $20.
    > I could upgrade several of my pcs to 802.11G but due to my situation, I
    > will be running in a mixed B G environment for the forseeable future,
    > as I have several devices that have 802.11B built into their hardware
    > and are not upgradable.
    >
    > This being the case, how much of a performance boost would I get on the
    > systems that I could actually upgrade to G?
    > I guess the other positive to the upgrade would be that I would move
    > into a router that is still actually being supported and has regular
    > firmware upgrades.
    >
    > Other than that, thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    > --Al

  4. Re: Should I upgrade my router?

    Hi Bill,

    What about all the hype surrounding technologies like Nitro? i assume
    then that these mixed mode enhanced performance clames are inflated?

    --Al

    In article , wcrocker007@comcast.net
    says...
    > You won't see any increase in performance. As long as there are 802.11b
    > devices in the signal area, 802.11g routers will fall down to 802.11b, for
    > all the systems in the signal area.
    >
    > Bill Crocker
    >

    > "Al Puzzuoli" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.1c0144696658460989683@news.giganews.com.. .
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I am currently using an old Dlink di713-P. The router is working fine;
    > > However, I have the opportunity to get my hands on a Netgear wg614 for
    > > $20.
    > > I could upgrade several of my pcs to 802.11G but due to my situation, I
    > > will be running in a mixed B G environment for the forseeable future,
    > > as I have several devices that have 802.11B built into their hardware
    > > and are not upgradable.
    > >
    > > This being the case, how much of a performance boost would I get on the
    > > systems that I could actually upgrade to G?
    > > I guess the other positive to the upgrade would be that I would move
    > > into a router that is still actually being supported and has regular
    > > firmware upgrades.
    > >
    > > Other than that, thoughts would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > --Al

+ Reply to Thread