Problem with two routers - Routers

This is a discussion on Problem with two routers - Routers ; Hello! From my ISP i have been provided with a zyxel prestige 642R router. It seems there's some preset configuration set in the router, so you log onto it, select a profile and input your username and password and you're ...

  1. Problem with two routers

    Hello!

    From my ISP i have been provided with a zyxel prestige 642R router. It seems
    there's some preset configuration set in the router, so you log onto it,
    select a profile and input your username and password and you're done. It is
    set to obtain an IP automatically. This router is connected to the internet.

    Between that and my computer i have a wireless linksys router, which is set
    to static IP and uses the set IP of the zyxel router.

    When looking up pages it takes 2-3 seconds before it actually finds the page
    and starts loading it. If i have a download running, it looks up the page
    instantly - it's like the data is already flowing, and it just rides the
    wave. I have tried it with several browsers with the same result.

    Anyone have an idea what might be wrong, or can come up with something i can
    try? Oh, i know i can keep my connection alive by for example pinging a
    given host, but i'm more looking for an answer to the problem, not a way to
    sidestep it.

    /Carsten

  2. Re: Problem with two routers

    Not a very favorable review for this router with no firewall...

    http://www.compulink.co.uk/~davedorn.../zyxel642r.htm

    check it out.

    KK

    "Carsten H. Pedersen" wrote in message
    > Hello!
    >
    > From my ISP i have been provided with a zyxel prestige 642R router. It

    seems
    > there's some preset configuration set in the router, so you log onto it,
    > select a profile and input your username and password and you're done. It

    is
    > set to obtain an IP automatically. This router is connected to the

    internet.

    > Between that and my computer i have a wireless linksys router, which is

    set
    > to static IP and uses the set IP of the zyxel router.
    >
    > When looking up pages it takes 2-3 seconds before it actually finds the

    page
    > and starts loading it. If i have a download running, it looks up the page
    > instantly - it's like the data is already flowing, and it just rides the
    > wave. I have tried it with several browsers with the same result.
    >
    > Anyone have an idea what might be wrong, or can come up with something i

    can
    > try? Oh, i know i can keep my connection alive by for example pinging a
    > given host, but i'm more looking for an answer to the problem, not a way

    > sidestep it.
    >
    > /Carsten

+ Reply to Thread