VPN - computers show on one side only - Routers

This is a discussion on VPN - computers show on one side only - Routers ; I have 2 BEFSX41 routers with a successful connection...netbios broadcast enabled on both sides... on the XP machine, I can see the other side computers in network places, but on my windows side, no additional computers... I captured some packets ...

  1. VPN - computers show on one side only

    I have 2 BEFSX41 routers with a successful connection...netbios broadcast
    enabled on both sides... on the XP machine, I can see the other side
    computers in network places, but on my windows side, no additional
    computers... I captured some packets and see the XP computer trying to
    register, but no computers here... Hmmmm any thoughts? the following is the
    partial capture...

    451 60389.701033 000C413C2E5A *BROADCAST NBT NS: Registration req. for
    CC606805-Z <1F> 192.168.1.105 192.168.2.255 IP

    Frame: Base frame properties

    Frame: Time of capture = 11/8/2004 17:6:30.335

    Frame: Time delta from previous physical frame: 3031192 microseconds

    Frame: Frame number: 451

    Frame: Total frame length: 110 bytes

    Frame: Capture frame length: 110 bytes

    Frame: Frame data: Number of data bytes remaining = 110 (0x006E)

    ETHERNET: ETYPE = 0x0800 : Protocol = IP: DOD Internet Protocol

    ETHERNET: Destination address : FFFFFFFFFFFF

    ETHERNET: .......1 = Group address

    ETHERNET: ......1. = Locally administered address

    ETHERNET: Source address : 000C413C2E5A

    ETHERNET: .......0 = No routing information present

    ETHERNET: ......0. = Universally administered address

    ETHERNET: Frame Length : 110 (0x006E)

    ETHERNET: Ethernet Type : 0x0800 (IP: DOD Internet Protocol)

    ETHERNET: Ethernet Data: Number of data bytes remaining = 96 (0x0060)

    IP: ID = 0x654F; Proto = UDP; Len: 96

    IP: Version = 4 (0x4)

    IP: Header Length = 20 (0x14)

    IP: Precedence = Routine

    IP: Type of Service = Normal Service

    IP: Total Length = 96 (0x60)

    IP: Identification = 25935 (0x654F)

    IP: Flags Summary = 0 (0x0)

    IP: .......0 = Last fragment in datagram

    IP: ......0. = May fragment datagram if necessary

    IP: Fragment Offset = 0 (0x0) bytes

    IP: Time to Live = 128 (0x80)

    IP: Protocol = UDP - User Datagram

    IP: Checksum = 0x4F85

    IP: Source Address = 192.168.1.105

    IP: Destination Address = 192.168.2.255

    IP: Data: Number of data bytes remaining = 76 (0x004C)

    UDP: Src Port: NETBIOS Name Service, (137); Dst Port: NETBIOS Name Service
    (137); Length = 76 (0x4C)

    UDP: Source Port = NETBIOS Name Service

    UDP: Destination Port = NETBIOS Name Service

    UDP: Total length = 76 (0x4C) bytes

    UDP: UDP Checksum = 0xCDAC

    UDP: Data: Number of data bytes remaining = 68 (0x0044)

    NBT: NS: Registration req. for CC606805-Z <1F>

    NBT: Transaction ID = 45632 (0xB240)

    NBT: Flags Summary = 0x2910 - Req.; Registration; Success

    NBT: 0............... = Request

    NBT: .0101........... = Registration

    NBT: .....0.......... = Non-authoritative Answer

    NBT: ......0......... = Datagram not truncated

    NBT: .......1........ = Recursion desired

    NBT: ........0....... = Recursion not available

    NBT: .........0...... = Reserved

    NBT: ..........0..... = Reserved

    NBT: ...........1.... = Broadcast packet

    NBT: ............0000 = Success

    NBT: Question Count = 1 (0x1)

    NBT: Answer Count = 0 (0x0)

    NBT: Name Service Count = 0 (0x0)

    NBT: Additional Record Count = 1 (0x1)

    NBT: Question Name = CC606805-Z <1F>

    NBT: Question Type = General Name Service

    NBT: Question Class = Internet Class

    NBT: Resource Record Name = CC606805-Z <1F>

    NBT: Resource Record Type = NetBIOS General Name Service

    NBT: Resource Record Class = Internet Class

    NBT: Time To Live(Milliseconds) = 300000 (0x493E0)

    NBT: RDATA Length = 6 (0x6)

    NBT: Resource Record Flags = 16384 (0x4000)

    NBT: 0............... = Unique NetBIOS Name

    NBT: .10............. = M Node

    NBT: ...0000000000000 = Reserved

    NBT: Owner IP Address = 192.168.1.105

    as you can see it is trying to register.

    KK

  2. Re: VPN - computers show on one side only

    Try reading the info here. There is extensive how-to instructions for
    setting up VPN connections using Window$.

    http://www.microsoft.com/vpn

    --
    Leland C. Scott
    KC8LDO

    Wireless Network
    Mobile computing
    on the go brought
    to you by Micro$oft

  3. Re: VPN - computers show on one side only

    Thanks for the link, but it looks like the VPN that the article describes is
    computer to computer tunneling... the router that I have has a successful
    connection and I see all the computers on the XP side of the router with NO
    configuration at all ( I believe it is XP home)... all my computers show up
    in his network neighborhood, but his does NOT show up in mine... WTF. I
    tried configuring RRAS, but I dont need the routing do I if I already have a
    router. I can ping the connection and his router from both ends I can do a
    nbtstat and it shows his computer name... I did a packet capture and can see
    his packets requesting over and over again registration, but I guess I just
    dont know how to go about getting his computer to register the DNS to me...
    My IP is 192.168.2.1 and his is 192.168.1.1 for the routers and static
    addresses inside each net work respectivily... all computers have the same
    group name and all have different IP's I think I am missing something for
    the sub netting (255.255.255.0 mask on all machines) so with that info are
    we both subnetted correctly? Thanks for all your help.

    KK
    "Leland C. Scott" wrote in message
    > Try reading the info here. There is extensive how-to instructions for
    > setting up VPN connections using Window$.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/vpn
    >
    > --
    > Leland C. Scott
    > KC8LDO
    >
    > Wireless Network
    > Mobile computing
    > on the go brought
    > to you by Micro$oft

  4. Re: VPN - computers show on one side only

    One last thing... I was reading about having one computer set up as a master
    browser??? could that be the key?

    KK

    "Leland C. Scott" wrote in message
    > Try reading the info here. There is extensive how-to instructions for
    > setting up VPN connections using Window$.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/vpn
    >
    > --
    > Leland C. Scott
    > KC8LDO
    >
    > Wireless Network
    > Mobile computing
    > on the go brought
    > to you by Micro$oft

  5. Re: VPN - computers show on one side only

    "Kaptain Krunch" wrote in message
    > One last thing... I was reading about having one computer set up as a

    master
    > browser??? could that be the key?

    I don't know for sure, but I have read that on a per-to-per network one
    machine has to be the "browse master" for the machines to show up in network
    neighborhood. It also may take several minutes for the whole process to
    occur so you may need to wait a bit before deciding things aren't working.

    Try the following link for more info.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...owse.mspx#ELAA

    That may help. From my quick reading of the first few paragraphs or so I
    think you maybe right. The one thing I did read is you have to have at least
    on machine on each subnet running NT, or I guess Win 2k or XP, to act as the
    master browser for that subnet. Look at the subsection labeled "Role of
    Domain Master Browsers". It could be your XP machines are configured OK but
    there isn't a master browser on the other end that is registering the
    machines there with the domain master browser. You may have to setup a
    single XP machine on the other end to get things to work.

    Since you have two sections isolated by your routers, you really have two
    subnets, so I think this material applies to your case. Let me know if this
    helps.

    --
    Leland C. Scott
    KC8LDO

    Wireless Network
    Mobile computing
    on the go brought
    to you by Micro$oft

    --
    Leland C. Scott
    KC8LDO

    Wireless Network
    Mobile computing
    on the go brought
    to you by Micro$oft

  6. Re: VPN - computers show on one side only

    thank you for your help. I wasnt sure if the 2 nets were actually sub
    nets. (was told that they werent... in another NG on another subject). I
    also found this too...

    > "Kaptain Krunch" wrote in message
    > > One last thing... I was reading about having one computer set up as a

    > master
    > > browser??? could that be the key?

    > I don't know for sure, but I have read that on a per-to-per network one
    > machine has to be the "browse master" for the machines to show up in

    network
    > neighborhood. It also may take several minutes for the whole process to
    > occur so you may need to wait a bit before deciding things aren't working.
    >
    > Try the following link for more info.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...owse.mspx#ELAA

    > That may help. From my quick reading of the first few paragraphs or so I
    > think you maybe right. The one thing I did read is you have to have at

    least
    > on machine on each subnet running NT, or I guess Win 2k or XP, to act as

    the
    > master browser for that subnet. Look at the subsection labeled "Role of
    > Domain Master Browsers". It could be your XP machines are configured OK

    but
    > there isn't a master browser on the other end that is registering the
    > machines there with the domain master browser. You may have to setup a
    > single XP machine on the other end to get things to work.
    >
    > Since you have two sections isolated by your routers, you really have two
    > subnets, so I think this material applies to your case. Let me know if

    this
    > helps.
    >
    > --
    > Leland C. Scott