Routing / Port forwarding question - Routers

This is a discussion on Routing / Port forwarding question - Routers ; Hello I don't know how to route or to forward a port. On my ADSL ZyXel Prestige 650 router I added the following port in the SUA/NAT Server Start port End Adresse IP 8081 8081 192.168.90.11 I thought that the ...

  1. Routing / Port forwarding question

    Hello

    I don't know how to route or to forward a port.

    On my ADSL ZyXel Prestige 650 router I added the following
    port in the SUA/NAT Server

    Start port End Adresse IP
    8081 8081 192.168.90.11

    I thought that the url http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8081 would
    now route me to the LAN IP 192.168.90.11

    But this to not work. If use the same url without port then
    the router show me the login windows from the ZyXel Router.

    If in enter the following port in the SUA/NAT Server:

    Start port End Adresse IP
    80 80 192.168.90.11

    then I can access to the IP 192.168.90.11 and this also
    without port no.!

    My question: How do I have to configure the router that I
    can access to the LAN IP 192.168.90.11 with a port and to
    the router without port?

    Many thanks in advance for your help.

    Otto

  2. Re: Routing / Port forwarding question

    "Otto" wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I don't know how to route or to forward a port.
    >
    > On my ADSL ZyXel Prestige 650 router I added the following
    > port in the SUA/NAT Server
    >
    > Start port End Adresse IP
    > 8081 8081 192.168.90.11
    >
    > I thought that the url http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8081 would
    > now route me to the LAN IP 192.168.90.11

    This maybe a stupid question but do you have a computer on the LAN with a
    "Static IP Address" of 192.168.90.11? If you don't use a static address then
    each time a computer connects to the LAN the local DHCP server, your router
    most likely, just hands out the next available address. Thus the computer
    may not always get the same IP address each time and the port forwarding
    will not forward traffic to the right computer.

    The next issue is the above address is only valid inside of your LAN and
    can't be reached from the Internet. The address that has to be used is the
    address assigned to the router by your Internet Service provider. The NAT
    function in the router, using the port forwarding feature, takes care of the
    address translation so the machine is reachable from outside, i.e. from the
    Internet.

    One more thing, if the address isn't a static address from your Internet
    Service Provider then the setup gets a bit more complicated. You have to use
    a service that allows your computer to update a database on a DNS server
    service with your current IP address assigned to your router, then use the
    name you picked on that service to refer to your computer. This name on the
    DNS server looks up yor most current IP address and sends that to whoever
    wants to access your machine like any other DNS look up would do.

    http://www.dyndns.org/
    http://www.tzo.org/

    Both of the above are free DNS server services.

    And lastly you have to have a service running on the machine that can handle
    the traffic directed to it due to port forwarding. I'm a bit confused by
    what you're trying to do but it seems like you're trying to run a WEB server
    on a computer on your LAN that is reachable from the Internet. The standard
    port for HTTP WEB servers by the way is 80.

    --
    Leland C. Scott
    KC8LDO

    Wireless Network
    Mobile computing
    on the go brought
    to you by Micro$oft

  3. Re: Routing / Port forwarding question

    Many thanks four your quick answer.

    > This maybe a stupid question but do you have a computer on the LAN with a
    > "Static IP Address" of 192.168.90.11?

    Yes, the IP 192.168.90.11 is static. It's a small WebServer with Relay's (no
    PC)

    > The next issue is the above address is only valid inside of your LAN and
    > can't be reached from the Internet.

    I understand that.

    I also know the IP from the WAN to access to the ZyXel Router.
    My question was:
    How can I access different LAN IP from the same WAN IP. Actually I used the
    port Forwarding from my Router and it work well.
    In the SUA/NAT table I add the following values:

    Start port End Adresse IP
    80 80 192.168.90.11

    but if I to the following:
    8081 8081 192.168.90.11
    8082 8082 192.168.90.12
    nothing work

    Could be that the MicroWebserver on the IP 192.168.90.11 need the port 80. I
    don't really know.

    Regards

    Otto

  4. Re: Routing / Port forwarding question

    "Otto" wrote in message
    > My question was:
    > How can I access different LAN IP from the same WAN IP. Actually I used

    the
    > port Forwarding from my Router and it work well.
    > In the SUA/NAT table I add the following values:
    >
    > Start port End Adresse IP
    > 80 80 192.168.90.11

    That seems OK.

    > but if I to the following:
    > 8081 8081 192.168.90.11
    > 8082 8082 192.168.90.12
    > nothing work

    Not surprising. The WEB server needs to use port 80, which is the standard
    port for HTTP, to work. When you changed the port you forwarded to 8081 Web
    browsers can't connect to the server because they are trying to use the
    "well known" port of 80, which you didn't forward. You can't just forward
    just any port to a server and expect it to work. If the Web server is not
    configured to use the non standard port you forward it's not going to work.
    If you do configure the server to use a non standard port, use lets say port
    8081, then you MUST use a URL of the following form:

    www.YourWebSite:8081 or http://YourWebSite:8081

    Note the colon before the 8081. This tells the web browser to use port 8081
    instead of the standard port of 80 when connecting to the web server. If you
    forget to do this then the web browser will use the default standard port of
    80 and thus fail to connect.

    I've done the exact same thing with a private FTP server running behind my
    NAT-SPI router/firewall on my home LAN. The FTP server is setup to use non
    standard ports, it really cut down on the hacking attempts, and had to
    forward the non standard ports in the router setup. To access my FTP server
    I have to use an address like the following:

    ftp://MyFtpServer:Non-Standard-Port-Number

    The standard FTP ports are 21 and 20, which I'm not using. If I don't add
    the colon port number part after the address I can't connect, period.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Leland C. Scott
    KC8LDO

    Wireless Network
    Mobile computing
    on the go brought
    to you by Micro$oft

  5. Re: Routing / Port forwarding question

    > Hope this helps.

    Yes. Many thanks four your quick answer.

    Otto

+ Reply to Thread