Problem with networking - Routers

This is a discussion on Problem with networking - Routers ; I cannot understand why it appears so difficult. I have a D-Link router which gives me ADSL on my MS2000 computer. Recently I have acquired an IBM for my wife with XP on it. Naturally I bought the cable to ...

  1. Problem with networking

    I cannot understand why it appears so difficult. I have a D-Link
    router which gives me ADSL on my MS2000 computer. Recently I have
    acquired an IBM for my wife with XP on it.

    Naturally I bought the cable to connect to the router and it was
    working in next to no time at all - but the only time I had some
    networking was when I shared the program I am now using with the other
    computer. I deleted some of that on the second computer and promtly
    had to install it again on my original computer - so I must have made
    some kind of connection.

    All I require is to have a shared folder on my computer which I can
    see on the other computer so I can transfer files and programs between
    the computers, rather than having to write them to a CD/RW for manual
    transfer.

    I forgot to mention that I have McAfee installed and should like to
    have updates downloaded to the shared folder so the other computer is
    kept up to speed. Incidentally I have pulled down the firewall but it
    made no difference. I probably could do without it altogether as
    McAfee reports that it cannot see my computer after I installed the
    router. Before that I had a normal ADSL modem and BlackIce as a
    firewall - it got numerous hits which totally stopped when I got the
    router - so goodbye BlackIce and good riddance as they sold me the
    program and they tried to make me pay for it again as the keyword was
    made useless for re-installation.

    Please help

    B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

  2. Re: Problem with networking

    When I 1st set up my home network I followed the detailed instructions here and
    have not had any problems...with with my ZoneAlarm firewall!!
    http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
    peter
    "nesredep egrob" wrote in message
    newsmhlo0db8k2dujq31m76dk6q996ko841su@4ax.com...
    >I cannot understand why it appears so difficult. I have a D-Link
    > router which gives me ADSL on my MS2000 computer. Recently I have
    > acquired an IBM for my wife with XP on it.
    >
    > Naturally I bought the cable to connect to the router and it was
    > working in next to no time at all - but the only time I had some
    > networking was when I shared the program I am now using with the other
    > computer. I deleted some of that on the second computer and promtly
    > had to install it again on my original computer - so I must have made
    > some kind of connection.
    >
    > All I require is to have a shared folder on my computer which I can
    > see on the other computer so I can transfer files and programs between
    > the computers, rather than having to write them to a CD/RW for manual
    > transfer.
    >
    > I forgot to mention that I have McAfee installed and should like to
    > have updates downloaded to the shared folder so the other computer is
    > kept up to speed. Incidentally I have pulled down the firewall but it
    > made no difference. I probably could do without it altogether as
    > McAfee reports that it cannot see my computer after I installed the
    > router. Before that I had a normal ADSL modem and BlackIce as a
    > firewall - it got numerous hits which totally stopped when I got the
    > router - so goodbye BlackIce and good riddance as they sold me the
    > program and they tried to make me pay for it again as the keyword was
    > made useless for re-installation.
    >
    > Please help
    >
    > B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    > If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

  3. Re: Problem with networking

    I've always had problems setting up windows file sharing with Norton
    Internet Security running. It seems to want to block other computers on
    the LAN. Try disabling it and re-connecting.

    Paul

    nesredep egrob wrote:
    > I cannot understand why it appears so difficult. I have a D-Link
    > router which gives me ADSL on my MS2000 computer. Recently I have
    > acquired an IBM for my wife with XP on it.
    >
    > Naturally I bought the cable to connect to the router and it was
    > working in next to no time at all - but the only time I had some
    > networking was when I shared the program I am now using with the other
    > computer. I deleted some of that on the second computer and promtly
    > had to install it again on my original computer - so I must have made
    > some kind of connection.
    >
    > All I require is to have a shared folder on my computer which I can
    > see on the other computer so I can transfer files and programs between
    > the computers, rather than having to write them to a CD/RW for manual
    > transfer.
    >
    > I forgot to mention that I have McAfee installed and should like to
    > have updates downloaded to the shared folder so the other computer is
    > kept up to speed. Incidentally I have pulled down the firewall but it
    > made no difference. I probably could do without it altogether as
    > McAfee reports that it cannot see my computer after I installed the
    > router. Before that I had a normal ADSL modem and BlackIce as a
    > firewall - it got numerous hits which totally stopped when I got the
    > router - so goodbye BlackIce and good riddance as they sold me the
    > program and they tried to make me pay for it again as the keyword was
    > made useless for re-installation.
    >
    > Please help
    >
    > B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    > If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

+ Reply to Thread