Do I have to use a Linksys card ? - Routers

This is a discussion on Do I have to use a Linksys card ? - Routers ; I have a Linksys BEFDSR41W which is classed as wireless ready as long as you shove a wireless pc card in the back. I bought 2 cards today. One for the BEFDSR41W, the other for my laptop. The BEFDSR41W does ...

  1. Do I have to use a Linksys card ?

    I have a Linksys BEFDSR41W which is classed as wireless ready as long as you
    shove a wireless pc card in the back.

    I bought 2 cards today. One for the BEFDSR41W, the other for my laptop.

    The BEFDSR41W does not appear to recognise the PC card (make is Belkin). I
    was wondering whether this was because it was not made by Linksys and
    perhaps some drivers required by the BEFDSR41W were not available.

    Does anyone know if this is the case? The Linksys documentation doe s not
    mention that only Linksys card can be used and I thought the PC card would
    be generic.

    Is there a way round it?

    I turned the BEFDSR41W off before installing the card so it isn't that.

    Thanks

    Martin

  2. Re: Do I have to use a Linksys card ?

    "Martin H" wrote in message
    > I have a Linksys BEFDSR41W which is classed as wireless ready as long as

    you
    > shove a wireless pc card in the back.
    >
    > I bought 2 cards today. One for the BEFDSR41W, the other for my laptop.
    >
    > The BEFDSR41W does not appear to recognise the PC card (make is Belkin). I
    > was wondering whether this was because it was not made by Linksys and
    > perhaps some drivers required by the BEFDSR41W were not available.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this is the case? The Linksys documentation doe s not
    > mention that only Linksys card can be used and I thought the PC card would
    > be generic.
    >
    > Is there a way round it?
    >
    > I turned the BEFDSR41W off before installing the card so it isn't that.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Martin

    I'd go to the Mfr web site and see what cards are recommended for that
    router.

    Larry

  3. Re: Do I have to use a Linksys card ?

    I do not believe that you have to use the same card as far as brand. What
    IS important is the frequency the card is on (I am not really familiar with
    wireless) however there are different protocols that the router and cards
    use like wireless -G and wireless B. as far as I know, they may be
    different... look in the manual for the 411 you need.

    KK

    "Martin H" wrote in message
    > I have a Linksys BEFDSR41W which is classed as wireless ready as long as

    you
    > shove a wireless pc card in the back.
    >
    > I bought 2 cards today. One for the BEFDSR41W, the other for my laptop.
    >
    > The BEFDSR41W does not appear to recognise the PC card (make is Belkin). I
    > was wondering whether this was because it was not made by Linksys and
    > perhaps some drivers required by the BEFDSR41W were not available.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this is the case? The Linksys documentation doe s not
    > mention that only Linksys card can be used and I thought the PC card would
    > be generic.
    >
    > Is there a way round it?
    >
    > I turned the BEFDSR41W off before installing the card so it isn't that.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Martin

+ Reply to Thread