Linksys BEFSX41 routers - can't map drives over VPN - Routers

This is a discussion on Linksys BEFSX41 routers - can't map drives over VPN - Routers ; Hello all, I'm currently experimenting with two Linksys BEFSX 41 hardware routers because I want to setup a VPN to connect two small networks over the internet. I set up two of these routers and connected the WAN plug of ...

  1. Linksys BEFSX41 routers - can't map drives over VPN

    Hello all,

    I'm currently experimenting with two Linksys BEFSX 41 hardware
    routers because I want to setup a VPN to connect two small
    networks over the internet.

    I set up two of these routers and connected the WAN plug of both
    to a DSL router that has a built-in DHCP server.
    Both routers get an IP address through DHCP correctly. I can
    connect to the internet through both routers so that's
    working fine.

    the DHCP on one router is configured as network 192.168.1.X,
    the other is 192.168.2.X.

    Then I connected a single Windows XP professional (SP2) PC on
    each router. Both PC's are configured as the same workgroup
    ("EDV"). Both get the correct IP address from the router.
    Both can connect to the internet OK.

    The VPN seems to be working, because the two PC's can PING each
    other, and I can even see the remote PC in network
    neighbourhood. But I can't map any drives! Not even by IP
    address. I get errors like "server not found".

    I've also tried to enter the IP addresses of the remote server
    into HOSTS and LMHOSTS to no avail.

    Any clues? How the heck do I get this simple configuration of
    2 PC's working?

    --
    Arthur Hoornweg
    (please remove the ".net" from my e-mail address.

  2. Re: Linksys BEFSX41 routers - can't map drives over VPN

    One thing I've noticed when trying to share drives, is Norton Internet
    Security has this thing about blocking it. If you're running Norton,
    try disabling it on both machines and try your call again. If that's
    not it, try playing with your windows firewall. As I don't use it, I
    can't give you much advice on settings.

    Paul

    Arthur Hoornweg wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm currently experimenting with two Linksys BEFSX 41 hardware
    > routers because I want to setup a VPN to connect two small
    > networks over the internet.
    >
    > I set up two of these routers and connected the WAN plug of both
    > to a DSL router that has a built-in DHCP server.
    > Both routers get an IP address through DHCP correctly. I can
    > connect to the internet through both routers so that's
    > working fine.
    >

    > the DHCP on one router is configured as network 192.168.1.X,
    > the other is 192.168.2.X.
    >
    > Then I connected a single Windows XP professional (SP2) PC on
    > each router. Both PC's are configured as the same workgroup
    > ("EDV"). Both get the correct IP address from the router.
    > Both can connect to the internet OK.
    >
    > The VPN seems to be working, because the two PC's can PING each
    > other, and I can even see the remote PC in network
    > neighbourhood. But I can't map any drives! Not even by IP
    > address. I get errors like "server not found".
    >
    > I've also tried to enter the IP addresses of the remote server
    > into HOSTS and LMHOSTS to no avail.
    >
    > Any clues? How the heck do I get this simple configuration of
    > 2 PC's working?

  3. Re: Linksys BEFSX41 routers - can't map drives over VPN

    It works now. I had to use different subnets on both
    ends and enable Netbios broadcasting.

    --
    Arthur Hoornweg
    (please remove the ".net" from my e-mail address.
    I had to take this measure to counteract SPAM
    flooding my mail box)

  4. Re: Linksys BEFSX41 routers - can't map drives over VPN

    help, What did you do... I cant map drives either on win2k, but can on win
    xp... have a connection with 2 befsx41's but no joy with seeing the xp
    computer on the 2000 machine.

    KK

    "Arthur Hoornweg" wrote in message
    > It works now. I had to use different subnets on both
    > ends and enable Netbios broadcasting.
    >

    > --
    > Arthur Hoornweg
    > (please remove the ".net" from my e-mail address.
    > I had to take this measure to counteract SPAM
    > flooding my mail box)

+ Reply to Thread