My Experience - Windows XP SP2, Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2, Netgear 104 switch. - Routers

This is a discussion on My Experience - Windows XP SP2, Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2, Netgear 104 switch. - Routers ; Windows XP SP2 Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2 Netgear 104 Switch When I first updated windows xp to sp2 I lost my lan home network. The home computers could not see each other. I tried everything to get them to communicate, no ...

  1. My Experience - Windows XP SP2, Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2, Netgear 104 switch.

    Windows XP SP2
    Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2
    Netgear 104 Switch

    When I first updated windows xp to sp2 I lost my lan home network.
    The home computers could not see each other. I tried everything to
    get them to communicate, no go. My home network shares a printer and
    the family was getting restless.

    I finally saw linsys had an updated firmware for the router which was
    supposed to fix some networking problems due to sp2. I downloaded it
    and installed the firmware update version 1.46.02. Once this was
    installed, I reset the router with a paper clip (hold in and count to
    10) and then unplugged everything. Once everything was powered back
    up, I again tried to see if lan home network was working.

    The seperate computers still did not see each other "if" both was able
    to get on and use the internet. If I rebooted, the computers may or
    may not find the internet. If they were not capable of accessing the
    internet then they would see each other on the lan home network. It
    was either/or but not both. Very frustrating, since everything worked
    perfect before the sp2 update.

    After pulling my hair out for quite a while, I decided to back off the
    version number firmware for the router. I went back and installed a
    few intermediate versions, one at a time. None of these previous
    intermediate versions worked right for lan home network.

    Finally, I decided to return the router to the original version that I
    started with, which was version 1.39, Jun 04 2001. Once this was
    done and the system shut down and the router reset, I rebooted and
    again attempted to see if the lan home network would work along with
    internet connection.

    Guess what.

    Both the lan home network and the internet both work perfectly
    together once again. Who would of thought reverting back to original
    firmware version that didn't work orginally would have solved the
    problem!

    As Microsoft says, YMMV.

  2. Re: My Experience - Windows XP SP2, Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2, Netgear104 switch.

    Heh, you should try disabling the XP firewall and I bet things would
    work just swimmingly.

    NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com wrote:

    > Windows XP SP2
    > Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2
    > Netgear 104 Switch
    >
    > When I first updated windows xp to sp2 I lost my lan home network.
    > The home computers could not see each other. I tried everything to
    > get them to communicate, no go. My home network shares a printer and
    > the family was getting restless.
    >
    > I finally saw linsys had an updated firmware for the router which was
    > supposed to fix some networking problems due to sp2. I downloaded it
    > and installed the firmware update version 1.46.02. Once this was
    > installed, I reset the router with a paper clip (hold in and count to
    > 10) and then unplugged everything. Once everything was powered back
    > up, I again tried to see if lan home network was working.
    >
    > The seperate computers still did not see each other "if" both was able
    > to get on and use the internet. If I rebooted, the computers may or
    > may not find the internet. If they were not capable of accessing the
    > internet then they would see each other on the lan home network. It
    > was either/or but not both. Very frustrating, since everything worked
    > perfect before the sp2 update.
    >
    > After pulling my hair out for quite a while, I decided to back off the
    > version number firmware for the router. I went back and installed a
    > few intermediate versions, one at a time. None of these previous
    > intermediate versions worked right for lan home network.
    >
    > Finally, I decided to return the router to the original version that I
    > started with, which was version 1.39, Jun 04 2001. Once this was
    > done and the system shut down and the router reset, I rebooted and
    > again attempted to see if the lan home network would work along with
    > internet connection.
    >
    > Guess what.
    >
    > Both the lan home network and the internet both work perfectly
    > together once again. Who would of thought reverting back to original
    > firmware version that didn't work orginally would have solved the
    > problem!
    >
    > As Microsoft says, YMMV.

  3. Re: My Experience - Windows XP SP2, Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2, Netgear 104 switch.

    XP's firewall was turned off through the whole process.
    That was not my problem...

    >Heh, you should try disabling the XP firewall and I bet things would
    >work just swimmingly.
    >
    >NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com wrote:
    >
    >> Windows XP SP2
    >> Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2
    >> Netgear 104 Switch
    >>
    >> When I first updated windows xp to sp2 I lost my lan home network.
    >> The home computers could not see each other. I tried everything to
    >> get them to communicate, no go. My home network shares a printer and
    >> the family was getting restless.
    >>
    >> I finally saw linsys had an updated firmware for the router which was
    >> supposed to fix some networking problems due to sp2. I downloaded it
    >> and installed the firmware update version 1.46.02. Once this was
    >> installed, I reset the router with a paper clip (hold in and count to
    >> 10) and then unplugged everything. Once everything was powered back
    >> up, I again tried to see if lan home network was working.
    >>
    >> The seperate computers still did not see each other "if" both was able
    >> to get on and use the internet. If I rebooted, the computers may or
    >> may not find the internet. If they were not capable of accessing the
    >> internet then they would see each other on the lan home network. It
    >> was either/or but not both. Very frustrating, since everything worked
    >> perfect before the sp2 update.
    >>
    >> After pulling my hair out for quite a while, I decided to back off the
    >> version number firmware for the router. I went back and installed a
    >> few intermediate versions, one at a time. None of these previous
    >> intermediate versions worked right for lan home network.
    >>
    >> Finally, I decided to return the router to the original version that I
    >> started with, which was version 1.39, Jun 04 2001. Once this was
    >> done and the system shut down and the router reset, I rebooted and
    >> again attempted to see if the lan home network would work along with
    >> internet connection.
    >>
    >> Guess what.
    >>
    >> Both the lan home network and the internet both work perfectly
    >> together once again. Who would of thought reverting back to original
    >> firmware version that didn't work orginally would have solved the
    >> problem!
    >>
    >> As Microsoft says, YMMV.

  4. Re: My Experience - Windows XP SP2, Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2, Netgear104 switch.

    Well, that was just my 2c worth. I've seen the windows firewall turned
    off before installing sp2 and windows turned it on automatically
    afterwards. This together with losing accessability.

    NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com wrote:

    > XP's firewall was turned off through the whole process.
    > That was not my problem...
    >

    >>Heh, you should try disabling the XP firewall and I bet things would
    >>work just swimmingly.
    >>
    >>NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>Windows XP SP2
    >>>Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2
    >>>Netgear 104 Switch
    >>>
    >>>When I first updated windows xp to sp2 I lost my lan home network.
    >>>The home computers could not see each other. I tried everything to
    >>>get them to communicate, no go. My home network shares a printer and
    >>>the family was getting restless.

  5. Re: My Experience - Windows XP SP2, Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2, Netgear 104 switch.

    Yes, it turns on automatically. Seems turning it off is a real effort
    because it keeps wanting to turn back on. Big pain in the &ss.

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:59:15 -0400, Paul E Mak
    wrote:

    >Well, that was just my 2c worth. I've seen the windows firewall turned
    >off before installing sp2 and windows turned it on automatically
    >afterwards. This together with losing accessability.
    >
    >NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com wrote:
    >
    >> XP's firewall was turned off through the whole process.
    >> That was not my problem...
    >>

    >>>Heh, you should try disabling the XP firewall and I bet things would
    >>>work just swimmingly.

  6. Re: My Experience - Windows XP SP2, Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2, Netgear104 switch.

    Turn it off then tell it, "I have a firewall solution I'll monitor
    myself". You should get no more interruptions wid it.

    Paul

    NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com wrote:
    > Yes, it turns on automatically. Seems turning it off is a real effort
    > because it keeps wanting to turn back on. Big pain in the &ss.
    >
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:59:15 -0400, Paul E Mak
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Well, that was just my 2c worth. I've seen the windows firewall turned
    >>off before installing sp2 and windows turned it on automatically
    >>afterwards. This together with losing accessability.

  7. Re: My Experience - Windows XP SP2, Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2, Netgear 104 switch.

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 03:54:17 -0400, Paul E Mak wrote:

    >Turn it off then tell it, "I have a firewall solution I'll monitor
    >myself". You should get no more interruptions wid it.

    Actually that solution for some reason with many people still doesn't
    stay, and after a boot or two later you get the warning again..

    I've had not problems with SP2 on my main computer, an Athalon in charge
    of my home network, with a P2 wireless upstairs and a P3 wired in next to
    me (Netgear router).

    Just Internet access was easy.

    To be able to share files and whatnot, to set it all up right, I had to
    have my main computer, the Win XP one in charge of the network, install
    the network configuration to a floppy, and then I had to use it to install
    the stuff on the other two Win 98 computers... I wonder if doing something
    like this might help get all of your computers configed correctly..?

    Perhaps though this process was necessary because the other two computers
    are not win xp computers...

    & BTW you people even a $40 P2 at 400 MHz runs with good Interent speed
    connected with a wireless USB device. USB 1 is still about the same
    speed as wireless B (11 or 12 Mbps), which is still plenty faster than a
    3000 Kbps downspeed cable connection..
    ...D.

  8. Re: My Experience - Windows XP SP2, Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2, Netgear104 switch.

    Paul E Mak wrote:
    > Well, that was just my 2c worth. I've seen the windows firewall turned
    > off before installing sp2 and windows turned it on automatically
    > afterwards. This together with losing accessability.
    >
    > NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com wrote:
    >
    >> XP's firewall was turned off through the whole process.
    >> That was not my problem...
    >>

    >>> Heh, you should try disabling the XP firewall and I bet things would
    >>> work just swimmingly.

    I also found it necessary to reset all the shares on my machines after
    installing SP2. Rather simple thing to miss.

+ Reply to Thread