Need advice on purchasing an 8 port, tub mountable router. - Routers

This is a discussion on Need advice on purchasing an 8 port, tub mountable router. - Routers ; I currently have a 4 port linksys wireless B router and it's worked well. I recently bought a new home that has a wired network in every room. So, I need an 8 port router that will mount in a ...

  1. Need advice on purchasing an 8 port, tub mountable router.

    I currently have a 4 port linksys wireless B router and it's worked well.

    I recently bought a new home that has a wired network in every room. So, I
    need an 8 port router that will mount in a tub in my distribution center.
    Wireless is not necessary because I plan to plug the Linksys wireless router
    I already own into a port in my office that will daisy chain off the 8 port.
    This way I can get wireless on my laptop anywhere in the house.

    I'm looking for advice on 8 port tub mountable routers with a Firewall.
    What have people had good luck with?

    I also play alot of IP to IP games, and my Linksys never let me open a port
    properly to communicate (or maybe i could never figure out how to do it.)
    Every time we wanted to play IP to IP with someone we had to remove it and
    use an old hub to get it to work. I would prefer something that is
    intuitive enough to allow us to IP>>IP with minimal hassle.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Need advice on purchasing an 8 port, tub mountable router.

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:11:37 -0700, NEExt wrote:

    > I currently have a 4 port linksys wireless B router and it's worked well.
    >
    > I recently bought a new home that has a wired network in every room. So, I
    > need an 8 port router that will mount in a tub in my distribution center.
    > Wireless is not necessary because I plan to plug the Linksys wireless router
    > I already own into a port in my office that will daisy chain off the 8 port.
    > This way I can get wireless on my laptop anywhere in the house.
    >
    > I'm looking for advice on 8 port tub mountable routers with a Firewall.
    > What have people had good luck with?
    >
    > I also play alot of IP to IP games, and my Linksys never let me open a port
    > properly to communicate (or maybe i could never figure out how to do it.)
    > Every time we wanted to play IP to IP with someone we had to remove it and
    > use an old hub to get it to work. I would prefer something that is
    > intuitive enough to allow us to IP>>IP with minimal hassle.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    What would happen if you bought an 8 port switch, use the router to
    connect to the outside world like you did before, connect the switch to
    the router.

    I hope this helps or someone has a better idea, since I'm in the same
    situation. Built a new house, network in every room, network printer. etc..

    Paul

    unintentional side effect.

    --- Linus Torvalds

  3. Re: Need advice on purchasing an 8 port, tub mountable router.

    I crossed posted this on alt.comp.hardware and what you suggest seems to be
    the same solution I am hearing there. Internet-->Cable Modem--> 10/100
    router --> gigabit switch --> distrubtion center and then wireless routers
    or wireless relays wherever you want them for coverage.

    "abc" wrote in message news:TY8ed.29188$cr4.2257@edtnps84...
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:11:37 -0700, NEExt wrote:
    >
    > > I currently have a 4 port linksys wireless B router and it's worked

    well.

    > > I recently bought a new home that has a wired network in every room.

    So, I
    > > need an 8 port router that will mount in a tub in my distribution

    center.
    > > Wireless is not necessary because I plan to plug the Linksys wireless

    router
    > > I already own into a port in my office that will daisy chain off the 8

    port.
    > > This way I can get wireless on my laptop anywhere in the house.
    > >
    > > I'm looking for advice on 8 port tub mountable routers with a Firewall.
    > > What have people had good luck with?
    > >
    > > I also play alot of IP to IP games, and my Linksys never let me open a

    port
    > > properly to communicate (or maybe i could never figure out how to do

    it.)
    > > Every time we wanted to play IP to IP with someone we had to remove it

    and
    > > use an old hub to get it to work. I would prefer something that is
    > > intuitive enough to allow us to IP>>IP with minimal hassle.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    > What would happen if you bought an 8 port switch, use the router to
    > connect to the outside world like you did before, connect the switch to
    > the router.
    >
    > I hope this helps or someone has a better idea, since I'm in the same
    > situation. Built a new house, network in every room, network printer.

    etc..

    > Paul
    >

    > --
    > Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely
    > unintentional side effect.
    >
    > --- Linus Torvalds

+ Reply to Thread