help needed: router ip port forwarding - Routers

This is a discussion on help needed: router ip port forwarding - Routers ; I have Mandrake Linux 9.2 on my two home computers. I can't access the ipaddress on a second home computer hooked up to my router. My main computer has address xxx.xxx.1.100 and my second computer running an Apache 2.0 server ...

  1. help needed: router ip port forwarding

    I have Mandrake Linux 9.2 on my two home computers. I can't access the
    ipaddress on a second home computer hooked up to my router. My main
    computer has address xxx.xxx.1.100 and my second computer running an
    Apache 2.0 server has an address of xxx.xxx.1.101 I can access
    server html pages on the second computer with Mozilla from that computer
    or even via Mozilla from my main computer, both on the same router
    (LinkSys Wireless B Broadband Router, also hooked up to my LinkSys
    Etherfast Cable Modem).

    I suspect I have to do something like 'port forwarding'? But I am an
    idiot, so if anybody knows how to do this, please tell what I should do in
    simple terms. I want to make xxx.xxx.1.101 accessible to outside
    computers, beyond my home network. (I want to set up a couple of simple
    server programs for my online students, to test out a DokoWiki and a
    lambdaMOO; both will be password protected to prevent the general world
    from accessing the server programs).

    Thank you in advance!

  2. Re: help needed: router ip port forwarding

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:44:42 -0500, Beowulf wrote:

    > I have Mandrake Linux 9.2 on my two home computers. I can't access the
    > ipaddress on a second home computer hooked up to my router. My main

    I think I figured it out. Nice to know this usenet exists though!

  3. Re: help needed: router ip port forwarding

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:25:29 -0500, Beowulf wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:44:42 -0500, Beowulf wrote:
    >
    >> I have Mandrake Linux 9.2 on my two home computers. I can't access the
    >> ipaddress on a second home computer hooked up to my router. My main

    > ..
    >
    > I think I figured it out....

    Nope I did not figure it out. Frustrating, can not figure out why I can
    not access the webserver through my router. Router IP address is
    24.197.xxx.xxx and when I try that inside my network I can view a webpage
    served up from Apache on my second computer (192.xxx.x.101, which I have
    set in router configuration to allow port 80 requests); the
    24.197.xxx.xxx ip address can not be viewed from outside my home network.
    What am I doing wrong?

  4. Re: help needed: router ip port forwarding

    One thing to look at is your router has 2 IP's, an internal and
    external. Try not to get those confused. The internals will (usually)
    always start with 192.168 then you have your choice as to what you want
    to set up the last two sets (xxx.xxx) as. Only the external address is
    viewable from outside your LAN. A good idea is to have your internal
    (LAN) computers on static IP addresses and then set your port forwarding
    to the ONE computer you want to serve your web pages from. Please note
    that, (as far as I can figure), you can't have 2 web servers running on
    different machines and access them both at the same time from outside
    using port forwarding.

    If you want to run both web servers, there may be an option to OPEN (as
    opposed to forward) port 80. To do this you should also have to have a
    domain name set for your internal network by your router. This way the
    PC's can be accessed by name. (Supposedly) Anyone else please feel
    free to help me out here. I've never actually tried this myself.

    Ooo, the other thing I just thought of is Linux may have it's own
    routing and/or NAT tables that may need adjusting. I played with these
    a bit when I was running a NetBSD box as my router. You may find that
    one box is letting the requests through when the other isn't.

    Hope this helps a bit.

    Paul

    Beowulf wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:25:29 -0500, Beowulf wrote:
    >

    >>On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:44:42 -0500, Beowulf wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have Mandrake Linux 9.2 on my two home computers. I can't access the
    >>>ipaddress on a second home computer hooked up to my router. My main

    >>..
    >>
    >>I think I figured it out....

    > Nope I did not figure it out. Frustrating, can not figure out why I can
    > not access the webserver through my router. Router IP address is
    > 24.197.xxx.xxx and when I try that inside my network I can view a webpage
    > served up from Apache on my second computer (192.xxx.x.101, which I have
    > set in router configuration to allow port 80 requests); the
    > 24.197.xxx.xxx ip address can not be viewed from outside my home network.
    > What am I doing wrong?

  5. Re: help needed: router ip port forwarding

    "Paul E Mak" wrote in message
    >Please note that, (as far as I can figure), you can't have 2 web servers

    running on
    > different machines and access them both at the same time from outside
    > using port forwarding.

    Why not? One uses the standard port 80 and the other would use a non
    standard port above 1023. He would access the second web site as
    www.hiswebsiteort-number. Where "port-number" is the port the second web
    server is configured to use. Then he would forward both ports on his router;
    the standard HTTP port of 80 and the non standard port for the second
    server. His router would have entries for each machine. One inside address
    pointing to the server using port 80 and the other inside address entry
    pointing to the other machine running the other server using "port_number".
    To access the other web server he would just have to make sure that anybody
    wishing to use it would have to specify the port number in the manner in the
    example address above. I would think this should work.

    --
    Leland C. Scott

  6. Re: help needed: router ip port forwarding

    Yup, that'll work. I was thinking in general, non-specific port
    terms. One thing to help this along is to make sure to specify the port
    number in links to the second server or else web browsers will try the
    standard port 80 and wonder why they can't get in.

    Paul

    Leland C. Scott wrote:
    > "Paul E Mak" wrote in message
    >
    >>Please note that, (as far as I can figure), you can't have 2 web servers

    > running on
    >
    >>different machines and access them both at the same time from outside
    >>using port forwarding.

    > Why not? One uses the standard port 80 and the other would use a non
    > standard port above 1023. He would access the second web site as
    > www.hiswebsiteort-number. Where "port-number" is the port the second web
    > server is configured to use. Then he would forward both ports on his router;
    > the standard HTTP port of 80 and the non standard port for the second
    > server. His router would have entries for each machine. One inside address
    > pointing to the server using port 80 and the other inside address entry
    > pointing to the other machine running the other server using "port_number".
    > To access the other web server he would just have to make sure that anybody
    > wishing to use it would have to specify the port number in the manner in the
    > example address above. I would think this should work.

+ Reply to Thread