Re: Difference Switch / Hub - Routers

This is a discussion on Re: Difference Switch / Hub - Routers ; I am pretty sure that u are using the wrong cable form the router to the switch. Are u familiar with when to use a crossed cable and when not to. I do not remember when to use what - ...

  1. Re: Difference Switch / Hub

    I am pretty sure that u are using the wrong cable form the router to the
    switch.
    Are u familiar with when to use a crossed cable and when not to. I do not
    remember when to use what - but if your are using a crossed try a strait and
    vise versa.

    Dorph

    > I have a router connected to an ADSL modem. On the router I have a hub and
    > on the hub is my PC. This works fine. But if I replace the hub with a
    > switch I can't get a connection. (I tried several different switches.) Can
    > anybody tell me why I can't get it to work with the switch? Do I have to
    > configure a router setting to get this to work?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > John

  2. Re: Difference Switch / Hub

    Further to this, some switches (and maybe hubs, I don't know) have
    auto-sensing ports, which mean it doesn't matter weather you use a
    straight (normal) or a cross-over (send-receive wires crossed) cable.
    Check the manual. If it doesn't, it may have an uplink port - in which
    case a straight cable from the router to the uplink will work. If
    there's no uplink port, you need a cross-over cable. *Word of advice*
    Once out of the package these cables look like regular cables. (The pot
    didn't LOOK hot!) Stick a label on it.

    Oh ya, and look at the managed/unmanaged thing too.

    Paul

    Dorph wrote:
    > I am pretty sure that u are using the wrong cable form the router to the
    > switch.
    > Are u familiar with when to use a crossed cable and when not to. I do not
    > remember when to use what - but if your are using a crossed try a strait and
    > vise versa.
    >
    > Dorph
    >

    >>I have a router connected to an ADSL modem. On the router I have a hub and
    >>on the hub is my PC. This works fine. But if I replace the hub with a
    >>switch I can't get a connection. (I tried several different switches.) Can
    >>anybody tell me why I can't get it to work with the switch? Do I have to
    >>configure a router setting to get this to work?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>John

+ Reply to Thread