Re: Help w/ FTP Server behind Router - Routers

This is a discussion on Re: Help w/ FTP Server behind Router - Routers ; Make sure TCP/UDP port 21 is open check your authentication settings "Curtis Gilchrist" wrote in message news:10f6ip6a9t32m82@corp.supernews.com... >I am running a NetGear RT314 router with two computers hooked into it. I > want to turn one of these computers into ...

  1. Re: Help w/ FTP Server behind Router

    Make sure TCP/UDP port 21 is open
    check your authentication settings

    "Curtis Gilchrist" wrote in message
    >I am running a NetGear RT314 router with two computers hooked into it. I
    > want to turn one of these computers into an FTP Server, and am trying to
    > do
    > so by using BulletProofFTP software to turn my computer into a server. I
    > am
    > experiencing problems, however, with client connections to my Server. No
    > one can connect to my FTP Server. I have established my ISP assigned IP,
    > and am trying to use that to connect to my FTP Server, but it still isn't
    > working. I'm assuming it sends the connection request, it goes through
    > the
    > router, but doesn't get passed on to my Server computer. This is pure
    > speculation, as I am completely new to this. Has anyone set up an FTP
    > Server behind a router before? I am in dire need of help! Any assistance
    > is appreciated.

  2. Re: Help w/ FTP Server behind Router

    "J" wrote in message
    | Make sure TCP/UDP port 21 is open
    | check your authentication settings

    I have the identical issue with the linksys router. I have done all
    that I can, but according to my research, the problem CAN be
    worked-around.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...p,16;mode=flat

    I have not had any luck getting it to work, yet, however.

    billy

    ---

  3. Re: Help w/ FTP Server behind Router

    I've got a FTP server working just fine behind a Linksys router connected to
    a cable modem at home. I had to do some configuration setup on the server
    computer and the router to get things to work.

    On the server computer I had to turn off DHCP and assign a static IP address
    outside of the range that the router uses for DHCP. On your router there is
    likely a "status" page using the WEB setup utility, assuming a Linksys
    router. Go there and get the address for you ISP's DNS servers and the
    default gateway. Then check the "main" router setup page and find the entry
    for "starting ip address" under the section for DHCP. You will likely see
    the address 192.168.1.100. any address below this would be good to use for
    the static IP address for the server computer. For example using
    192.168.1.50 will work. Next go to your server computer and go to the
    network setup screens. This will vary depending on the version of Windows,
    and I am assuming you are using Windows, and locate your settings for TCP/IP
    for your Ethernet adapter. Turn off DHCP and select for a manual or user
    assigned IP address. Enter the local LAN IP address you want to use as
    mentioned above. Then locate the section for your DNS servers and enter the
    addresses you got off the router's "status" page. And finally under the
    section for "default gateway" enter the default gateway you got off the
    router's status page. That should complete the server computer setup. Now
    the router.

    Now use the router's WEB based setup utility and go to the "application &
    gaming" page. On that page you should see a section with a heading called
    "Port Range". In that section starting at the top row of entries type in
    "FTP" under the "application" column, "21" under the "start" column, "21"
    under the "end" column, select "Both" under the "protocol" column, enter the
    last three digits of the static IP address of the server computer under the
    "ip address" column, and finally check the box under the "enable" column.
    For the FTP server I'm using I also had to put in the following entries on
    the next line, and you may need to do the same. On the second row of entries
    type in "FTP" under the "application" column, "5000" under the "start"
    column, "5100" under the "end" column, select "Both" under the "protocol"
    column, enter the last three digits of the static IP address of the server
    computer under the "ip address" column, and finally check the box under the
    "enable" column. This completes the basic router setup.

    Now if you have a fixed IP address you're done, otherwise you have to have a
    way for users to locate your FTP server if the IP address assigned by your
    ISP to your router changes. This is done by using the router's ability to
    update a database at www.dyndns.org with the current address. This is a free
    service by the way. Also you will have to go to the router's main "setup"
    page and look for the sub page labeled "DDNS" under the main setup page
    menu. You must have an account setup first with the host name picked for
    your FTP server. The account password, and the user account name. These
    three items have to entered in to the "DDNS" setup page on your Linksys
    router. One more note about the router. Some Linksys routers using old
    firmware don't work right when the DDNS function is used. Be sure you have
    the latest firmware.

    After the "DDNS" is all setup go back to www.dyndns.org and check to be sure
    the address in the database matches your current IP. After that any changes
    should be made automatically by the router.

    All that is left to do is install your FTP server software. For a freebie
    FTP server try Filezilla at
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=21558 version 0.9.3.

    Have fun.

    --
    Leland C. Scott
    KC8LDO

    Wireless Network
    Mobile computing
    on the go brought
    to you by Micro$oft

    "J" wrote in message
    > Make sure TCP/UDP port 21 is open
    > check your authentication settings
    >
    > "Curtis Gilchrist" wrote in message
    > >I am running a NetGear RT314 router with two computers hooked into it. I
    > > want to turn one of these computers into an FTP Server, and am trying to
    > > do
    > > so by using BulletProofFTP software to turn my computer into a server.

    > > am
    > > experiencing problems, however, with client connections to my Server.

    No
    > > one can connect to my FTP Server. I have established my ISP assigned

    IP,
    > > and am trying to use that to connect to my FTP Server, but it still

    isn't
    > > working. I'm assuming it sends the connection request, it goes through
    > > the
    > > router, but doesn't get passed on to my Server computer. This is pure
    > > speculation, as I am completely new to this. Has anyone set up an FTP
    > > Server behind a router before? I am in dire need of help! Any

    assistance
    > > is appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread