DI-624 keeps restarting. Possible workarounds? - Routers

This is a discussion on DI-624 keeps restarting. Possible workarounds? - Routers ; My D-Link DI-624 Rev. C router keeps restarting itself intermittently. Apparently, it's a known issue because I've seen pages and pages of horror stories on some forums from people with the same problem. It's really annoying the crap out of ...

  1. DI-624 keeps restarting. Possible workarounds?

    My D-Link DI-624 Rev. C router keeps restarting itself intermittently.
    Apparently, it's a known issue because I've seen pages and pages of horror
    stories on some forums from people with the same problem. It's really
    annoying the crap out of me because it disrupts certain online games that I
    play.

    My current theory is that there's a DoS attack going on sometimes and a bug
    in the router (or possibly a "feature") makes it restart. I've confirmed
    this by unplugging all computers from the router and it still kept
    restarting (sometimes it will restart every 30 seconds at the worst).

    Is there any way I could find out what packets might be causing this? Can
    anyone recommend a good packet sniffer for that? I'm also looking for a good
    software firewall that I could load on a computer that would be dedicated to
    just routing duties. I found IpCop and it seems to be all I could possibly
    want from a software router. Are there some better alternatives than IpCop?
    (buying a real router is too expensive )

    --
    NoRemorse
    "Expect me when you see me."

  2. Re: DI-624 keeps restarting. Possible workarounds?

    It is possable you are under attack... Has the same prob last mo with IP
    spoofing ICMP packets from remote port 0 to local port 0 from IP
    172.30.166.36 which is a nonroutable addy.
    Im running a Linksys BEFSX41 firewall router... I stopped it by calling my
    ISP and they filtered the junk out.
    I use Either real packet sniffer on my net:
    http://www.ethereal.com/
    I hooked the computer up to the modem by itself and saw thousand of arp
    packet... that may have been one prob, but the attack subsided...Kept
    rebooting my router... for almost a week it randomly rebooted...ISP I think
    stopped it after complaining and going through abuse@comcast.net

    also found the newest firmware was buggy so tried diff. firmware

    HTH

    KK

    "NoRemorse" wrote in message
    > My D-Link DI-624 Rev. C router keeps restarting itself intermittently.
    > Apparently, it's a known issue because I've seen pages and pages of horror
    > stories on some forums from people with the same problem. It's really
    > annoying the crap out of me because it disrupts certain online games that

    > play.
    >
    > My current theory is that there's a DoS attack going on sometimes and a

    bug
    > in the router (or possibly a "feature") makes it restart. I've confirmed
    > this by unplugging all computers from the router and it still kept
    > restarting (sometimes it will restart every 30 seconds at the worst).
    >
    > Is there any way I could find out what packets might be causing this? Can
    > anyone recommend a good packet sniffer for that? I'm also looking for a

    good
    > software firewall that I could load on a computer that would be dedicated

    > just routing duties. I found IpCop and it seems to be all I could possibly
    > want from a software router. Are there some better alternatives than

    IpCop?
    > (buying a real router is too expensive )
    >
    > --
    > NoRemorse
    > "Expect me when you see me."

  3. Re: DI-624 keeps restarting. Possible workarounds?

    That's a good idea actually to call the ISP. I didn't think of that. Now I
    just need to wait for the time when the router reboots every 30 seconds,
    capture some packets, and call Comcast.

    --
    NoRemorse
    "Expect me when you see me."

    "Kaptain Krunch" wrote in message
    > It is possable you are under attack... Has the same prob last mo with IP
    > spoofing ICMP packets from remote port 0 to local port 0 from IP
    > 172.30.166.36 which is a nonroutable addy.
    > Im running a Linksys BEFSX41 firewall router... I stopped it by calling my
    > ISP and they filtered the junk out.
    > I use Either real packet sniffer on my net:
    > http://www.ethereal.com/
    > I hooked the computer up to the modem by itself and saw thousand of arp
    > packet... that may have been one prob, but the attack subsided...Kept
    > rebooting my router... for almost a week it randomly rebooted...ISP I
    > think
    > stopped it after complaining and going through abuse@comcast.net
    >
    > also found the newest firmware was buggy so tried diff. firmware
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > KK
    >

    > "NoRemorse" wrote in message
    >> My D-Link DI-624 Rev. C router keeps restarting itself intermittently.
    >> Apparently, it's a known issue because I've seen pages and pages of
    >> horror
    >> stories on some forums from people with the same problem. It's really
    >> annoying the crap out of me because it disrupts certain online games that

    >> play.
    >>
    >> My current theory is that there's a DoS attack going on sometimes and a

    > bug
    >> in the router (or possibly a "feature") makes it restart. I've confirmed
    >> this by unplugging all computers from the router and it still kept
    >> restarting (sometimes it will restart every 30 seconds at the worst).
    >>
    >> Is there any way I could find out what packets might be causing this? Can
    >> anyone recommend a good packet sniffer for that? I'm also looking for a

    > good
    >> software firewall that I could load on a computer that would be dedicated

    >> just routing duties. I found IpCop and it seems to be all I could
    >> possibly
    >> want from a software router. Are there some better alternatives than

    > IpCop?
    >> (buying a real router is too expensive )
    >>
    >> --
    >> NoRemorse
    >> "Expect me when you see me."

  4. Re: DI-624 keeps restarting. Possible workarounds?

    Also try going back a version of firmware if you have newest...if not newest
    try latest...

    KK

    "NoRemorse" wrote in message
    > That's a good idea actually to call the ISP. I didn't think of that. Now I
    > just need to wait for the time when the router reboots every 30 seconds,
    > capture some packets, and call Comcast.
    >
    > --
    > NoRemorse
    > "Expect me when you see me."
    >
    > "Kaptain Krunch" wrote in message
    > > It is possable you are under attack... Has the same prob last mo with IP
    > > spoofing ICMP packets from remote port 0 to local port 0 from IP
    > > 172.30.166.36 which is a nonroutable addy.
    > > Im running a Linksys BEFSX41 firewall router... I stopped it by calling

    my
    > > ISP and they filtered the junk out.
    > > I use Either real packet sniffer on my net:
    > > http://www.ethereal.com/
    > > I hooked the computer up to the modem by itself and saw thousand of arp
    > > packet... that may have been one prob, but the attack subsided...Kept
    > > rebooting my router... for almost a week it randomly rebooted...ISP I
    > > think
    > > stopped it after complaining and going through abuse@comcast.net
    > >
    > > also found the newest firmware was buggy so tried diff. firmware
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > KK
    > >

    > > "NoRemorse" wrote in message
    > >> My D-Link DI-624 Rev. C router keeps restarting itself intermittently.
    > >> Apparently, it's a known issue because I've seen pages and pages of
    > >> horror
    > >> stories on some forums from people with the same problem. It's really
    > >> annoying the crap out of me because it disrupts certain online games

    that
    > >> play.
    > >>
    > >> My current theory is that there's a DoS attack going on sometimes and a

    > > bug
    > >> in the router (or possibly a "feature") makes it restart. I've

    confirmed
    > >> this by unplugging all computers from the router and it still kept
    > >> restarting (sometimes it will restart every 30 seconds at the worst).
    > >>
    > >> Is there any way I could find out what packets might be causing this?

    Can
    > >> anyone recommend a good packet sniffer for that? I'm also looking for a

    > > good
    > >> software firewall that I could load on a computer that would be

    dedicated
    > >> just routing duties. I found IpCop and it seems to be all I could
    > >> possibly
    > >> want from a software router. Are there some better alternatives than

    > > IpCop?
    > >> (buying a real router is too expensive )
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> NoRemorse
    > >> "Expect me when you see me."

  5. Re: DI-624 keeps restarting. Possible workarounds?

    Tried it. Didn't work.

    I'm pretty sure the restarting is a "feature" of the router. The problem is
    that when the router restarts, its built-in switch kills all network
    connections. The restart is very quick, but when it kills the connection,
    certain applications give me errors.

    I'm considering buying a switch to connect to the router and then connect
    the computers to it.

    --

    > Also try going back a version of firmware if you have newest...if not
    > newest
    > try latest...
    >
    > KK
    >
    > "NoRemorse" wrote in message
    >> That's a good idea actually to call the ISP. I didn't think of that. Now
    >> just need to wait for the time when the router reboots every 30 seconds,
    >> capture some packets, and call Comcast.
    >>
    >> --
    >> NoRemorse
    >> "Expect me when you see me."
    >>
    >> "Kaptain Krunch" wrote in message
    >> > It is possable you are under attack... Has the same prob last mo with
    >> > IP
    >> > spoofing ICMP packets from remote port 0 to local port 0 from IP
    >> > 172.30.166.36 which is a nonroutable addy.
    >> > Im running a Linksys BEFSX41 firewall router... I stopped it by calling

    > my
    >> > ISP and they filtered the junk out.
    >> > I use Either real packet sniffer on my net:
    >> > http://www.ethereal.com/
    >> > I hooked the computer up to the modem by itself and saw thousand of arp
    >> > packet... that may have been one prob, but the attack subsided...Kept
    >> > rebooting my router... for almost a week it randomly rebooted...ISP I
    >> > think
    >> > stopped it after complaining and going through abuse@comcast.net
    >> >
    >> > also found the newest firmware was buggy so tried diff. firmware
    >> >
    >> > HTH
    >> >
    >> > KK
    >> >

    >> > "NoRemorse" wrote in message

    > that

    >> > bug

    > confirmed

    > Can
    >> > good

    > dedicated
    >> > IpCop?

  6. Re: DI-624 keeps restarting. Possible workarounds?

    Hmmm. I've upgraded to the firmware that showed up on D-Link's site recently
    and the router seems to be stable. I haven't had a crash since the upgrade.
    (I probably jinxed it by posting here.)

    --
    NoRemorse
    "Expect me when you see me."