Re: Linksys BEFSX Router - Routers

This is a discussion on Re: Linksys BEFSX Router - Routers ; I used to have one of these, and I RMA'd it to Linksys for that exact reason! The piece of crap would reboot on a regular basis, and I got sick and tired of it. I thought it was defective! ...

  1. Re: Linksys BEFSX Router

    I used to have one of these, and I RMA'd it to Linksys for that exact
    reason! The piece of crap would reboot on a regular basis, and I got sick
    and tired of it. I thought it was defective! Based on quite a few messges
    I've seen lately, I believe that problem may very well have been the
    firmware. And Linksys is not alone here, I had a Netgear that would reboot
    every 5 minutes. While it, too, may have been defective, I'm betting that
    Netgear just could't get the firmware right. And someone else was recently
    complaining about dLink doing the same thing.....this isn't rocket science,
    guys, stop farming IT work to India and let US workers do the code
    and you won't have these problems.

    "Kaptain Krunch" wrote in message
> [...]

    > Jim: and it seems lately with 1.5.18 and this version under ICMP in udp
    > form
    > does this happen
    > Jim: I reported this when I first go the router to linksys tec support and
    > upgraded under their reccomendations, but it seems like it is worse under
    > newer firmware
    > Jim: I also have read of others in newsgroups having the same difficulty
    > of
    > rebooting
    > Jim: I am going to try to get the 1.43 version (one vers down)...
    > Emily Ann Tiong: Unfortunately, we are still having problems w/ the router
    > rebooting everytime an ICMP connections try to connect to it.
    > Jim: so it is the router firmware and you are getting a fix out soon?
    > Jim: is there any way to block all icmp connections over port 80?
    > Emily Ann Tiong: Actually we're still working w/ this problem and
    > hopefully
    > this would be resolved w/ the next firmware. But I'll forward this to our
    > product management so they could focus on this problem.
    > Emily Ann Tiong: If you want just to make sure that it not a hardware
    > problem, we may replace the router since its still within the 1 year
    > warranty.
    > Jim: I can live with it for a while also I have my ISP working on the
    > offending sender of the packets
    > Jim: Yes, that is a possability
    > Emily Ann Tiong: If you want you can also try to forward the ICMP port to
    > non-existing IP address.
    > Jim: what port is ICMP?
    > Jim: which
    > Jim: 137?
    > Jim: dont think that will do anything since the firewall is the main
    > problem
    > Emily Ann Tiong: Normally yes.
    > Jim: if you can offer any other suggestions please e-mail me also email me
    > instructions for RMA and returning it.
    > Jim: for exchange
    > Emily Ann Tiong: We won't be able to tell when the new firmware would be
    > release w/c would basically solve this problem.
    > Jim: w/c?
    > Emily Ann Tiong: If you want to replace the device just go to
    > www.linksys.com then support.
    > Emily Ann Tiong: Under support look for customer service then click on
    > warranty return.
    > Jim: Due to month end inventory, Linksys will not process shipping or
    > receiving requests from Sept 17th 3pm Pacific until Sept 21st. We
    > apologize
    > for any inconvenience this causes.
    >>>>

    > They are not shipping till they get it fixed... must have a lot of angry
    > customers...
    >

    > KK
    >

    > "Kaptain Krunch" wrote in message
    >> Has any one expirienced reboots with this router? Mine says IP spoofing
    >> with ICMP udp.
    >>
    >> My logs show a 172.30.166.36 address coming through one of comcasts

    > routers
    >> and then IP spoofing detected then reboot.

  2. Re: Linksys BEFSX Router

    Is THAT what it is... I've serviced two houses in the last couple weeks
    with the BEFSR81v3 - the 8 port switch/router and both complained of
    droping internet. The ISP (Rogers) says the line is fine. (I believe
    them.) For the life of me I can't find a wrong or a non-right setting
    in the web setup. I've even done the firmware upgrade to 2.50.2 (April
    4, 2004). Same problem. Now that you mention it, it sounds like the
    thing was doing what it calls "warm boots" randomly.

    Does anyone know of or think there's a workaround for this? (Aside from
    me selling them something else.)

    Jarod
    The Pretender

    Ook wrote:
    > I used to have one of these, and I RMA'd it to Linksys for that exact
    > reason! The piece of crap would reboot on a regular basis, and I got sick
    > and tired of it. I thought it was defective! Based on quite a few messges
    > I've seen lately, I believe that problem may very well have been the
    > firmware. And Linksys is not alone here, I had a Netgear that would reboot
    > every 5 minutes. While it, too, may have been defective, I'm betting that
    > Netgear just could't get the firmware right. And someone else was recently
    > complaining about dLink doing the same thing.....this isn't rocket science,
    > guys, stop farming IT work to India and let US workers do the code
    > and you won't have these problems.

  3. Re: Linksys BEFSX Router

    downgrade the firmware if the newest is installed... if not try upgrading...
    My sx41 is ok now under attacks.... been having smurf attacks once and a
    while... Comcast gave me a little inside info on what to do... change IP
    addy by cloning a different MAC address. Their servers give out new IP's
    everytime the mac is changed... the procedure is clone mac and apply changes
    then turn off modem for 30 sec and on ... if dynamic mode is turned on the
    router gets a new IP WAN addy.

    KK

    "Paul E Mak" wrote in message
    > Is THAT what it is... I've serviced two houses in the last couple weeks
    > with the BEFSR81v3 - the 8 port switch/router and both complained of
    > droping internet. The ISP (Rogers) says the line is fine. (I believe
    > them.) For the life of me I can't find a wrong or a non-right setting
    > in the web setup. I've even done the firmware upgrade to 2.50.2 (April
    > 4, 2004). Same problem. Now that you mention it, it sounds like the
    > thing was doing what it calls "warm boots" randomly.
    >
    > Does anyone know of or think there's a workaround for this? (Aside from
    > me selling them something else.)
    >
    > Jarod
    > The Pretender
    >
    > Ook wrote:
    > > I used to have one of these, and I RMA'd it to Linksys for that exact
    > > reason! The piece of crap would reboot on a regular basis, and I got

    sick
    > > and tired of it. I thought it was defective! Based on quite a few

    messges
    > > I've seen lately, I believe that problem may very well have been the
    > > firmware. And Linksys is not alone here, I had a Netgear that would

    reboot
    > > every 5 minutes. While it, too, may have been defective, I'm betting

    that
    > > Netgear just could't get the firmware right. And someone else was

    recently
    > > complaining about dLink doing the same thing.....this isn't rocket

    science,
    > > guys, stop farming IT work to India and let US workers do the code
    > > and you won't have these problems.

+ Reply to Thread