BEFSR41 & a Power Adapter that makes Noise - Routers

This is a discussion on BEFSR41 & a Power Adapter that makes Noise - Routers ; I have the Linksys BEFSR41 broadband router and the power adapter is making a "whining" noise. Does anyone know what could be causing this, will it cause any future problems and is there a way to fix it??? thanks DrHibbert...

  1. BEFSR41 & a Power Adapter that makes Noise

    I have the Linksys BEFSR41 broadband router and the power adapter is
    making a "whining" noise. Does anyone know what could be causing
    this, will it cause any future problems and is there a way to fix
    it??? thanks

    DrHibbert

  2. Re: BEFSR41 & a Power Adapter that makes Noise

    Are you sure it's not a low humming noise? Power adaptors don't usually
    whine, in fact there really isn't anything in most of them that can wine. In
    any case, any power adaptor that makes more then a very low volume hum
    should be replaced *immediately*.

    "DrHibbert" wrote in message
    >I have the Linksys BEFSR41 broadband router and the power adapter is
    > making a "whining" noise. Does anyone know what could be causing
    > this, will it cause any future problems and is there a way to fix
    > it??? thanks
    >
    > DrHibbert

  3. Re: BEFSR41 & a Power Adapter that makes Noise

    your right I guess it is a humming noise, and just out of curriosity
    what is wrong with the power adapter to cause that and or what harm
    will it do to the router?? thanks

    DrHibbert

    On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 12:39:15 -0800, "Ook" wrote:

    >Are you sure it's not a low humming noise? Power adaptors don't usually
    >whine, in fact there really isn't anything in most of them that can wine. In
    >any case, any power adaptor that makes more then a very low volume hum
    >should be replaced *immediately*.
    >

    >"DrHibbert" wrote in message
    >>I have the Linksys BEFSR41 broadband router and the power adapter is
    >> making a "whining" noise. Does anyone know what could be causing
    >> this, will it cause any future problems and is there a way to fix
    >> it??? thanks
    >>
    >> DrHibbert

  4. Re: BEFSR41 & a Power Adapter that makes Noise

    metal core in the windings are loose and vibrating... replace the PS.

    KK

    "Ook" wrote in message
    > Are you sure it's not a low humming noise? Power adaptors don't usually
    > whine, in fact there really isn't anything in most of them that can wine.

    In
    > any case, any power adaptor that makes more then a very low volume hum
    > should be replaced *immediately*.
    >

    > "DrHibbert" wrote in message
    > >I have the Linksys BEFSR41 broadband router and the power adapter is
    > > making a "whining" noise. Does anyone know what could be causing
    > > this, will it cause any future problems and is there a way to fix
    > > it??? thanks
    > >
    > > DrHibbert

  5. Re: BEFSR41 & a Power Adapter that makes Noise

    It's OK and in fact normal for a power adapter to make a low humming noise,
    and be warm to the touch. If it hums loudly, it could be caused by loose
    parts, internal defect causing overload, or something in the router causing
    it to be overloaded (least likely cause). A higher pitch whining noise
    indicates something oscillating, such as defective voltage regulator
    circuitry (also rare to actually oscillate and whine).

    Loose parts can eventually short, and it is possible for this to damage the
    router. This isn't all that common, but I would not take chances. Linksys
    will RMA power adaptors for free without requiring you to send in the old
    one. If it's out of warranty, they are still cheap.

    I have maybe 12 power adaptors under my desk for this or that device -
    router, switch, hub, modem, speakers, USB hubs, etc. None of them make a
    noticeable humming noise unless I put my ear close to them. All of them are
    warm to the touch, but not too hot.

    The short of it is that any noise out of the ordinary indicates something
    wrong and is a good reason to replace the adaptor. It's cheap insurance.

    "DrHibbert" wrote in message
    > your right I guess it is a humming noise, and just out of curriosity
    > what is wrong with the power adapter to cause that and or what harm
    > will it do to the router?? thanks
    >
    > DrHibbert
    >
    > On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 12:39:15 -0800, "Ook" wrote:
    >
    >>Are you sure it's not a low humming noise? Power adaptors don't usually
    >>whine, in fact there really isn't anything in most of them that can wine.
    >>In
    >>any case, any power adaptor that makes more then a very low volume hum
    >>should be replaced *immediately*.
    >>

    >>"DrHibbert" wrote in message
    >>>I have the Linksys BEFSR41 broadband router and the power adapter is
    >>> making a "whining" noise. Does anyone know what could be causing
    >>> this, will it cause any future problems and is there a way to fix
    >>> it??? thanks
    >>>
    >>> DrHibbert

+ Reply to Thread