Blocking Yahoo Chat - Routers

This is a discussion on Blocking Yahoo Chat - Routers ; Is there anyway with one of the cheapy brand DSL/Cable routers to block Yahoo chat? Having trouble with kids playing on our office PC's and want way to end it for good. Company policy and passwords did not work. Matt...

  1. Blocking Yahoo Chat

    Is there anyway with one of the cheapy brand DSL/Cable routers to block
    Yahoo chat? Having trouble with kids playing on our office PC's and want
    way to end it for good. Company policy and passwords did not work.

    Matt

  2. Re: Blocking Yahoo Chat

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > Is there anyway with one of the cheapy brand DSL/Cable routers to block
    > Yahoo chat? Having trouble with kids playing on our office PC's and want
    > way to end it for good. Company policy and passwords did not work.
    >
    > Matt

    You've got to identify the port Yahoo Chat uses, then set your router to
    block that port. Check the router mfr web site for specifics on your model.
    Larry

  3. Re: Blocking Yahoo Chat

    > > Is there anyway with one of the cheapy brand DSL/Cable routers to block
    > > Yahoo chat? Having trouble with kids playing on our office PC's and

    want
    > > way to end it for good. Company policy and passwords did not work.
    > >
    > > Matt

    > You've got to identify the port Yahoo Chat uses, then set your router to
    > block that port. Check the router mfr web site for specifics on your

    model.
    > Larry

    Nope, Yahoo will proxy through port 80 so I need IP pool or domain name to
    block.

    Matt

  4. Re: Blocking Yahoo Chat

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > > > Is there anyway with one of the cheapy brand DSL/Cable routers to

    block
    > > > Yahoo chat? Having trouble with kids playing on our office PC's and

    > want
    > > > way to end it for good. Company policy and passwords did not work.
    > > >
    > > > Matt

    > > You've got to identify the port Yahoo Chat uses, then set your router to
    > > block that port. Check the router mfr web site for specifics on your

    > model.
    > > Larry

    > Nope, Yahoo will proxy through port 80 so I need IP pool or domain name to
    > block.
    >
    > Matt

    I'm thinking that might be a little tougher to setup on a cheap router. You
    may have to spring for a name brand unit (like a Cisco). Is that connection
    going through a managed switch? You may be able to set it there.

    Larry

  5. Re: Blocking Yahoo Chat

    maybe forward port for yahoo chat to a nonexistant computer (black hole)
    causes the router to throw away the packets. Think yahoo is on port 5050
    among others

    kk

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > Is there anyway with one of the cheapy brand DSL/Cable routers to block
    > Yahoo chat? Having trouble with kids playing on our office PC's and want
    > way to end it for good. Company policy and passwords did not work.
    >
    > Matt

  6. Re: Blocking Yahoo Chat

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > Is there anyway with one of the cheapy brand DSL/Cable routers to block
    > Yahoo chat? Having trouble with kids playing on our office PC's and want
    > way to end it for good. Company policy and passwords did not work.
    >
    > Matt

    You may need to use a utility like this: http://blockyahoo.port5.com/

    More info here:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

    Larry

  7. Re: Blocking Yahoo Chat

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > Is there anyway with one of the cheapy brand DSL/Cable routers to block
    > Yahoo chat? Having trouble with kids playing on our office PC's and want
    > way to end it for good. Company policy and passwords did not work.
    >
    > Matt

    Do you use your own DNS server? If so, one thing may be to set your DNS to
    resolve the IP for the server incorrectly. You could also do it in the hosts
    file of each computer...

+ Reply to Thread