Problems with a WD 1TB Network drive - Routers

This is a discussion on Problems with a WD 1TB Network drive - Routers ; I have a Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Router on my network and a Western Digital My Book World Edition 1TB Network Drive. For some reason after several hours (haven't timed it so I don't actually know how long)on the network the ...

  1. Problems with a WD 1TB Network drive

    I have a Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Router on my network and a Western Digital
    My Book World Edition 1TB Network Drive. For some reason after several
    hours (haven't timed it so I don't actually know how long)on the network the
    WD Network drive becomes inaccessible. I sent back the first drive and got
    another one brand new right out of the box and I have the same issues.

    Contacted WD Supprt and so far no success on the problem as to why this
    happens. the only way that I can get then network to see the drive again is
    to unplug the power from the back of the WD Network drive. I have an HP
    Officejet that is on the network and I don't have any problems with it.

    Anyone familiar with the router and network drive I have? Will taking any
    help at this point.

  2. Re: Problems with a WD 1TB Network drive

    Iced Tea wrote:

    > I have a Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Router on my network and a Western
    > Digital
    > My Book World Edition 1TB Network Drive. For some reason after several
    > hours (haven't timed it so I don't actually know how long)on the network
    > the WD Network drive becomes inaccessible. I sent back the first drive and
    > got another one brand new right out of the box and I have the same issues.
    >
    > Contacted WD Supprt and so far no success on the problem as to why this
    > happens. the only way that I can get then network to see the drive again
    > is to unplug the power from the back of the WD Network drive. I have an HP
    > Officejet that is on the network and I don't have any problems with it.
    >
    > Anyone familiar with the router and network drive I have? Will taking any
    > help at this point.

    While this may not resolve your problem it wouldn't hurt to try and
    configure the drive for "static" IP and assign it an address on your
    network. The reason is that if your DHCP "lease" is expiring the drive
    controller may not be reacquiring a new address.

    Just a hunch... Good luck.

  3. Re: Problems with a WD 1TB Network drive

    I know how to manually configure the WD Network Drive for a static IP but
    not sure on the router though???

    "Bob M" wrote in message
    > Iced Tea wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Router on my network and a Western
    >> Digital
    >> My Book World Edition 1TB Network Drive. For some reason after several
    >> hours (haven't timed it so I don't actually know how long)on the network
    >> the WD Network drive becomes inaccessible. I sent back the first drive
    >> and
    >> got another one brand new right out of the box and I have the same
    >> issues.
    >>
    >> Contacted WD Supprt and so far no success on the problem as to why this
    >> happens. the only way that I can get then network to see the drive again
    >> is to unplug the power from the back of the WD Network drive. I have an
    >> HP
    >> Officejet that is on the network and I don't have any problems with it.
    >>
    >> Anyone familiar with the router and network drive I have? Will taking any
    >> help at this point.

    > While this may not resolve your problem it wouldn't hurt to try and
    > configure the drive for "static" IP and assign it an address on your
    > network. The reason is that if your DHCP "lease" is expiring the drive
    > controller may not be reacquiring a new address.
    >
    > Just a hunch... Good luck.

  4. Re: Problems with a WD 1TB Network drive

    "Iced Tea" wrote in message
    >I know how to manually configure the WD Network Drive for a static IP but
    >not sure on the router though???
    >
    > "Bob M" wrote in message
    >> Iced Tea wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Router on my network and a Western
    >>> Digital
    >>> My Book World Edition 1TB Network Drive. For some reason after several
    >>> hours (haven't timed it so I don't actually know how long)on the network
    >>> the WD Network drive becomes inaccessible. I sent back the first drive
    >>> and
    >>> got another one brand new right out of the box and I have the same
    >>> issues.
    >>>
    >>> Contacted WD Supprt and so far no success on the problem as to why this
    >>> happens. the only way that I can get then network to see the drive again
    >>> is to unplug the power from the back of the WD Network drive. I have an
    >>> HP
    >>> Officejet that is on the network and I don't have any problems with it.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone familiar with the router and network drive I have? Will taking
    >>> any
    >>> help at this point.

    >> While this may not resolve your problem it wouldn't hurt to try and
    >> configure the drive for "static" IP and assign it an address on your
    >> network. The reason is that if your DHCP "lease" is expiring the drive
    >> controller may not be reacquiring a new address.
    >>
    >> Just a hunch... Good luck.

    Nothing is usually needed to be done at the router except to possibly put a
    limit on the maximum number of DHCP address values it can assign. Just make
    sure that the fixed IP is not one that the router has permission to assign
    using DHCP. In my case I have my router limited to the first 50 address
    entries for DHCP starting with 192.168.1.1. Any fixed IP's I assign to
    devices like servers or test machines all in the 192.168.1.200 - 254 range.
    That way there is never an overlap caused by the router giving out an IP
    already in use by a fixed IP device and I still have room to expand the DHCP
    range if needed..

  5. Re: Problems with a WD 1TB Network drive

    I am not sure what to fill in where when setting the static IP on this
    network drive. I am so new to networking, I am learning and looking at
    getting a book or two to expand my knowledge.

    Anyway when I go into the manual configuration on the network drive it asks
    the following:

    Step #1 - Network Address and Subnet Settings
    Network Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

    Step #2 - Gateway
    Gateway: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    DNS Servers: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    NTP Server:

    Not sure what goes, but this is my guess bases on what little I have
    learned:

    Network Address: static IP I would assign to the network
    Subnet Mask: I dont know
    Gateway: IP address of my router
    DNS Servers: I don't know
    NTP Server: I don't know

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Carl

    "GlowingBlueMist" wrote in message
    news:4918f27c$0$33683$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.oct anews.com...
    > "Iced Tea" wrote in message
    >>I know how to manually configure the WD Network Drive for a static IP but
    >>not sure on the router though???
    >>
    >> "Bob M" wrote in message

    >>> While this may not resolve your problem it wouldn't hurt to try and
    >>> configure the drive for "static" IP and assign it an address on your
    >>> network. The reason is that if your DHCP "lease" is expiring the drive
    >>> controller may not be reacquiring a new address.
    >>>
    >>> Just a hunch... Good luck.

    > Nothing is usually needed to be done at the router except to possibly put
    > a limit on the maximum number of DHCP address values it can assign. Just
    > make sure that the fixed IP is not one that the router has permission to
    > assign using DHCP. In my case I have my router limited to the first 50
    > address entries for DHCP starting with 192.168.1.1. Any fixed IP's I
    > assign to devices like servers or test machines all in the 192.168.1.200 -
    > 254 range. That way there is never an overlap caused by the router giving
    > out an IP already in use by a fixed IP device and I still have room to
    > expand the DHCP range if needed..

  6. Re: Problems with a WD 1TB Network drive

    On 11/11/2008 05:14 PM, Iced Tea sent:
    > I am not sure what to fill in where when setting the static IP on this
    > network drive. I am so new to networking, I am learning and looking at
    > getting a book or two to expand my knowledge.
    >
    > Anyway when I go into the manual configuration on the network drive it asks
    > the following:
    >
    > Step #1 - Network Address and Subnet Settings
    > Network Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    >
    > Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    >
    > Step #2 - Gateway
    > Gateway: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    >
    > DNS Servers: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    > xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    > xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    > xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    >
    > NTP Server:
    >

    > Not sure what goes, but this is my guess bases on what little I have
    > learned:
    >
    > Network Address: static IP I would assign to the network

    Make this the same as the former DHCP address for now. In the future,
    you may wish to make this /above/ the range of your router's usual DHCP
    allotments. Example: 192.168.1.101

    > Subnet Mask: I dont know

    255.255.255.0 if you were to use the above example.

    > Gateway: IP address of my router

    192.168.1.1 typically

    > DNS Servers: I don't know

    On your Windows PC, and from a "CMD" prompt: >ipconfig/all

    Pick out the DNS server addresses, in the order given, by your ISP.

    > NTP Server: I don't know

    Pick a geographical nearby "Stratum 2" Network Time Protocol server.

    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Carl

    Best wishes to you Carl.

    --