Strange home networking glitch - Routers

This is a discussion on Strange home networking glitch - Routers ; Hi group I have a standard home network setup. A D-Link 635 cable router with a wired PC and Mac Mini plus some additional wireless devices. About a week ago - I tried running an Astaro Gateway of an old ...

  1. Strange home networking glitch

    Hi group

    I have a standard home network setup. A D-Link 635 cable router with a
    wired PC and Mac Mini plus some additional wireless devices.

    About a week ago - I tried running an Astaro Gateway of an old Dell PC
    - got it all up and running but after awhile, the Mac seemed to get
    sluggish for browsing as in, pages wouldn't load or only half load, so
    I decided to remove the Astaro gateway setup and go back to the
    standard Router/Network setup.

    Now here is my problem: The Mac Mini is still awful for web surfing
    meaning pages don't load ... sometimes the header loads then the page
    just halts it's awful.

    Now the PC works fine, even XP running in Parralles ON the Mac Mini
    works fine. If I remove the router though and have the cable modem
    going straight into the Mac Mini THAT works fine, so somewhere the
    router is giving the Mac Mini an affected connection.

    I have reset the router to factory defaults, trying switching to a new
    network ie. 192.168.0.1 instead of 192.168.1.1 but still it's just the
    Mac that wont surf.

    Any starting ideas on what I could check??

    Thanks

    Simon

  2. Re: Strange home networking glitch

    "ipleb" wrote in message
    > Hi group
    >
    > I have a standard home network setup. A D-Link 635 cable router with a
    > wired PC and Mac Mini plus some additional wireless devices.
    >
    > About a week ago - I tried running an Astaro Gateway of an old Dell PC
    > - got it all up and running but after awhile, the Mac seemed to get
    > sluggish for browsing as in, pages wouldn't load or only half load, so
    > I decided to remove the Astaro gateway setup and go back to the
    > standard Router/Network setup.
    >
    > Now here is my problem: The Mac Mini is still awful for web surfing
    > meaning pages don't load ... sometimes the header loads then the page
    > just halts it's awful.
    >
    > Now the PC works fine, even XP running in Parralles ON the Mac Mini
    > works fine. If I remove the router though and have the cable modem
    > going straight into the Mac Mini THAT works fine, so somewhere the
    > router is giving the Mac Mini an affected connection.
    >
    > I have reset the router to factory defaults, trying switching to a new
    > network ie. 192.168.0.1 instead of 192.168.1.1 but still it's just the
    > Mac that wont surf.
    >
    > Any starting ideas on what I could check??
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Simon

    Try surfing to a known web site by using the IP address itself rather than
    the URL. Like using 74.125.95.99 rather than www.google.com and see if that
    works. If it does then you most likely have a problem with either a DNS
    cache that needs flushing or your computer needs to have it's DNS server
    values checked/changed.

    It's not impossible for a cable connector to become partially defective just
    from moving it from one place to another. You might try another cable on
    the affected machine if nothing else helps.

  3. Re: Strange home networking glitch

    On 19 Oct, 20:26, "GlowingBlueMist" wrote:
    > "ipleb" wrote in message

    > > Hi group

    > > I have a standard home network setup. A D-Link 635 cable router with a
    > > wired PC and Mac Mini plus some additional wireless devices.

    > > About a week ago - I tried running an Astaro Gateway of an old Dell PC
    > > - got it all up and running but after awhile, the Mac seemed to get
    > > sluggish for browsing as in, pages wouldn't load or only half load, so
    > > I decided to remove the Astaro gateway setup and go back to the
    > > standard Router/Network setup.

    > > Now here is my problem: The Mac Mini is still awful for web surfing
    > > meaning pages don't load ... sometimes the header loads then the page
    > > just halts it's awful.

    > > Now the PC works fine, even XP running in Parralles ON the Mac Mini
    > > works fine. If I remove the router though and have the cable modem
    > > going straight into the Mac Mini THAT works fine, so somewhere the
    > > router is giving the Mac Mini an affected connection.

    > > I have reset the router to factory defaults, trying switching to a new
    > > network ie. 192.168.0.1 instead of 192.168.1.1 but still it's just the
    > > Mac that wont surf.

    > > Any starting ideas on what I could check??

    > > Thanks

    > > Simon

    > Try surfing to a known web site by using the IP address itself rather than
    > the URL. *Like using 74.125.95.99 rather thanwww.google.comand see if that
    > works. *If it does then you most likely have a problem with either a DNS
    > cache that needs flushing or your computer needs to have it's DNS server
    > values checked/changed.
    >
    > It's not impossible for a cable connector to become partially defective just
    > from moving it from one place to another. *You might try another cable on
    > the affected machine if nothing else helps.

    Thanks for that ....

    I have swapped the Mac Mini over to the Airport, and it seems to
    working fine.

    Problem not fixed though :S

+ Reply to Thread