Wireless Netgear Router - Routers

This is a discussion on Wireless Netgear Router - Routers ; I have a Netgear Router WGR614 v.6 connected to 5 computers. One is hard wired, two have built in wireless capability. One with win 98SE and a netgear card WPN511. All four work fine. Another one has win XP Pro ...

  1. Wireless Netgear Router

    I have a Netgear Router WGR614 v.6 connected to 5 computers. One is
    hard wired, two have built in wireless capability. One with win 98SE
    and a netgear card WPN511. All four work fine.

    Another one has win XP Pro and a netgear card WPN511. It worked fine
    until I replaced the wireless card with hard wired ethernet card for
    temporary use. With the hard wired card the DHCP automatically
    assigns an IP address. When I replace the net card with the wireless
    card, it will not aquire an IP address, even though the signal
    strength is excellent. I tried manually assigning an IP address, but
    I didn't know how to configure dns and wns.

    All help will be appreciated.

    Sincerely Richard

  2. Re: Wireless Netgear Router

    Richard O'Keefe wrote:

    > I have a Netgear Router WGR614 v.6 connected to 5 computers. One is
    > hard wired, two have built in wireless capability. One with win 98SE
    > and a netgear card WPN511. All four work fine.
    >
    > Another one has win XP Pro and a netgear card WPN511. It worked fine
    > until I replaced the wireless card with hard wired ethernet card for
    > temporary use. With the hard wired card the DHCP automatically
    > assigns an IP address. When I replace the net card with the wireless
    > card, it will not aquire an IP address, even though the signal
    > strength is excellent. I tried manually assigning an IP address, but
    > I didn't know how to configure dns and wns.
    >
    > All help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Sincerely Richard

    While I'm not familiar with the Netgear router you might want to look at
    that router's config for DHCP. It sounds like you have either a limit on
    the number of addresses assigned OR perhaps using MAC address filtering.
    If you search around its config you might see where you can either open
    these us or expand the definition. HTH

  3. Re: Wireless Netgear Router

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 06:25:59 -0400, Bob M wrote:

    >Richard O'Keefe wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Netgear Router WGR614 v.6 connected to 5 computers. One is
    >> hard wired, two have built in wireless capability. One with win 98SE
    >> and a netgear card WPN511. All four work fine.
    >>
    >> Another one has win XP Pro and a netgear card WPN511. It worked fine
    >> until I replaced the wireless card with hard wired ethernet card for
    >> temporary use. With the hard wired card the DHCP automatically
    >> assigns an IP address. When I replace the net card with the wireless
    >> card, it will not aquire an IP address, even though the signal
    >> strength is excellent. I tried manually assigning an IP address, but
    >> I didn't know how to configure dns and wns.
    >>
    >> All help will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Sincerely Richard

    >While I'm not familiar with the Netgear router you might want to look at
    >that router's config for DHCP. It sounds like you have either a limit on
    >the number of addresses assigned OR perhaps using MAC address filtering.
    >If you search around its config you might see where you can either open
    >these us or expand the definition. HTH

    I have seen addresses as high as 192.168.1.9. My printer server is
    always 192.168.1.7. The computers are assigned an address as they are
    turned on. DHCP automatically assigns an IP address. When I replace
    the netgear wireless card with a hard wired ethernet card the computer
    has an address automatically assigned. I check mac filtering.

    How does one manually assign ip address with xp?

    Sincerely, Richard

  4. Re: Wireless Netgear Router

    Richard O'Keefe wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 06:25:59 -0400, Bob M wrote:
    >
    >>Richard O'Keefe wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Netgear Router WGR614 v.6 connected to 5 computers. One is
    >>> hard wired, two have built in wireless capability. One with win 98SE
    >>> and a netgear card WPN511. All four work fine.
    >>>
    >>> Another one has win XP Pro and a netgear card WPN511. It worked fine
    >>> until I replaced the wireless card with hard wired ethernet card for
    >>> temporary use. With the hard wired card the DHCP automatically
    >>> assigns an IP address. When I replace the net card with the wireless
    >>> card, it will not aquire an IP address, even though the signal
    >>> strength is excellent. I tried manually assigning an IP address, but
    >>> I didn't know how to configure dns and wns.
    >>>
    >>> All help will be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Sincerely Richard

    >>While I'm not familiar with the Netgear router you might want to look at
    >>that router's config for DHCP. It sounds like you have either a limit on
    >>the number of addresses assigned OR perhaps using MAC address filtering.
    >>If you search around its config you might see where you can either open
    >>these us or expand the definition. HTH

    > I have seen addresses as high as 192.168.1.9. My printer server is
    > always 192.168.1.7. The computers are assigned an address as they are
    > turned on. DHCP automatically assigns an IP address. When I replace
    > the netgear wireless card with a hard wired ethernet card the computer
    > has an address automatically assigned. I check mac filtering.
    >
    > How does one manually assign ip address with xp?
    >
    > Sincerely, Richard

    Pretty simply - open up "network connection" and look for your WIRED LAN
    adapter. Right click on it and then select "properties". On the resulting
    screen you should see a page/tab where you can set the address manually.
    It either states - use this address or sometimes "static" then key your
    desired IP in the appropriate area. Use 255.255.255.0 as the netmask.

    HTH

  5. Re: Wireless Netgear Router

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:52:58 -0400, Bob M wrote:

    >Richard O'Keefe wrote:

    >>>While I'm not familiar with the Netgear router you might want to look at
    >>>that router's config for DHCP. It sounds like you have either a limit on
    >>>the number of addresses assigned OR perhaps using MAC address filtering.
    >>>If you search around its config you might see where you can either open
    >>>these us or expand the definition. HTH

    >> I have seen addresses as high as 192.168.1.9. My printer server is
    >> always 192.168.1.7. The computers are assigned an address as they are
    >> turned on. DHCP automatically assigns an IP address. When I replace
    >> the netgear wireless card with a hard wired ethernet card the computer
    >> has an address automatically assigned. I check mac filtering.
    >>
    >> How does one manually assign ip address with xp?
    >>
    >> Sincerely, Richard

    >Pretty simply - open up "network connection" and look for your WIRED LAN
    >adapter. Right click on it and then select "properties". On the resulting
    >screen you should see a page/tab where you can set the address manually.
    >It either states - use this address or sometimes "static" then key your
    >desired IP in the appropriate area. Use 255.255.255.0 as the netmask.
    >
    >HTH

    I never have a problem with my wired lan connection. I am connected
    with my wired lan now. DHCP will not automatically set an IP address
    when I have my wireless card installed. I have tried setting ip
    address manually when I have my wireless card connected. The computer
    appears to accept the address. My wireless card states that it is
    connected to the router and that the connection is excellent and that
    it cannot acquire an ip address. I go to the command prompt and type
    in ipconfig and it indicates the manual address that I configured.

    Sincerely, Richard

  6. Re: Wireless Netgear Router

    richardd19@mi.rr.com (Richard O'Keefe) wrote in

    The 614 wil not support that.