Need router with advance whitelist functions - Routers

This is a discussion on Need router with advance whitelist functions - Routers ; Right now I use a cheap Belkin router (got it at Walmart for $40) and it can do simple stuff, like block out certain domains, or restrict ports based on IP. But it does not allow me to manage each ...

  1. Need router with advance whitelist functions

    Right now I use a cheap Belkin router (got it at Walmart for $40) and
    it can do simple stuff, like block out certain domains, or restrict
    ports based on IP. But it does not allow me to manage each computer
    separately.

    I have several computers in the home, and I want a router that will
    allow me to make a different whitelist for each MAC. For instance, I
    want the router to allow the PC in the kitchen to go anywhere, and I
    want it to restrict the the one in the basement to only open port 80,
    and only allow a dozen or so domains, like library.com and
    wikipedia.org.

    Does anyone know of a router (or similar appliance) that is cheap
    (under $300) that can assign a different white/black list to each MAC
    address?

    Thanks a lot for the help!

  2. Re: Need router with advance whitelist functions

    wrote in message
    > Right now I use a cheap Belkin router (got it at Walmart for $40) and
    > it can do simple stuff, like block out certain domains, or restrict
    > ports based on IP. But it does not allow me to manage each computer
    > separately.
    >
    > I have several computers in the home, and I want a router that will
    > allow me to make a different whitelist for each MAC. For instance, I
    > want the router to allow the PC in the kitchen to go anywhere, and I
    > want it to restrict the the one in the basement to only open port 80,
    > and only allow a dozen or so domains, like library.com and
    > wikipedia.org.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a router (or similar appliance) that is cheap
    > (under $300) that can assign a different white/black list to each MAC
    > address?
    >
    > Thanks a lot for the help!

    I have not used the software myself but you might look into the alternative
    operating software for routers that is available. With luck your router
    might be supported and with the feature you want.

    Give this link a view: http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

    At the least you can ask your question in the one of the forums for it at:
    http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/

    Who knows, you might be able to update the software in your router to do
    exactly what you want with out having to purchase a replacement unit.

  3. Re: Need router with advance whitelist functions

    thanks for the great advice. i bought a airlink AR430W on ebay and
    i'm diving into dd-wrt. Also i discovered OpenDNS free filtering
    service. nice.

+ Reply to Thread