WRT54GS Static or Automatic DHCP - Routers

This is a discussion on WRT54GS Static or Automatic DHCP - Routers ; Im always a little confused by one of the settings on routers. In my case this router is downstream on a network behind two other routers. It does not provide dhcp for any clients. It has a static IP. The ...

  1. WRT54GS Static or Automatic DHCP

    Im always a little confused by one of the settings on routers.

    In my case this router is downstream on a network behind two other
    routers. It does not provide dhcp for any clients. It has a static IP.

    The options give me the options:
    (This is the one that I normally use)

    Automatic Configuration - DHCP

    Then I disable DHCP below in a button box. This works fine for me.

    However I could also choose another option which is:
    Static IP
    (there are also options PPOE, PPTP, and Heart Beat)

    When I choose this other options become available to me.
    Internet IP Address
    Subnet Mask
    Gateway
    Static DNS 1:
    Static DNS 2:
    Static DNS 3:

    I have always left my router to just Automatic DHCP and then turned it
    off because another router is giving out IP addresses, but should I
    put it to Static and add things to the list above. I have always
    asumed that this setting was for some different set up if this was the
    gateway and to be set up with the ISP. At least thats what the helps
    seem to say.

    As an addendem to my question.

    I often wonder If in the box that says

    HOST NAME and
    DOMAIN NAME:

    Whether I should put anything. eg we are on active directorys and have
    a network name. ??

  2. Re: WRT54GS Static or Automatic DHCP

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 03:17:03 -0700 (PDT), steve
    wrote:

    >Im always a little confused by one of the settings on routers.
    >
    >In my case this router is downstream on a network behind two other
    >routers. It does not provide dhcp for any clients. It has a static IP.
    >
    >The options give me the options:
    >(This is the one that I normally use)
    >
    >Automatic Configuration - DHCP
    >
    > Then I disable DHCP below in a button box. This works fine for me.
    >
    >However I could also choose another option which is:
    >Static IP
    >(there are also options PPOE, PPTP, and Heart Beat)
    >
    >When I choose this other options become available to me.
    >Internet IP Address
    >Subnet Mask
    >Gateway
    >Static DNS 1:
    >Static DNS 2:
    >Static DNS 3:
    >
    >I have always left my router to just Automatic DHCP and then turned it
    >off because another router is giving out IP addresses, but should I
    >put it to Static and add things to the list above. I have always
    >asumed that this setting was for some different set up if this was the
    >gateway and to be set up with the ISP. At least thats what the helps
    >seem to say.
    >
    >As an addendem to my question.
    >
    >I often wonder If in the box that says
    >
    >HOST NAME and
    >DOMAIN NAME:
    >
    >Whether I should put anything. eg we are on active directorys and have
    >a network name. ??

    There is an old saying..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! If your
    current system works, LEAVE IT ALONE! The slight difference you MAY
    get by tweaking would be offset by you changing something that causes
    it to not work at all!! I fix friends networks all the time because
    they think, or read, that this or that setting will make their network
    faster. It doesn't and they are down for a couple of days before they
    get the courage to contact me saying they messed things up. The last
    time a guy made a simple little change and after 3 days Verizon came
    out and told him it was not their equipment and he had to take care of
    it himself, he called me, fessed up and it was back up immediately!

  3. Re: WRT54GS Static or Automatic DHCP

    yes I here what your saying. But this network is flakie and Im trying
    to get it to be less flakie. Im hoping to get rid of some of the flake
    ness.
    regards

  4. Re: WRT54GS Static or Automatic DHCP

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 07:28:10 -0700 (PDT), steve
    wrote:

    >yes I here what your saying. But this network is flakie and Im trying
    >to get it to be less flakie. Im hoping to get rid of some of the flake
    >ness.
    >regards

    As long as you are going to be physically there everytime a new
    computer wants on your network, then static IP addresses can be
    managed.

+ Reply to Thread