Linksys WRT 54GS v6 - Routers

This is a discussion on Linksys WRT 54GS v6 - Routers ; Hi, I'm having trouble with me router and hope that one of you guys can help me. I usally have no problem using the LAN but when I try to surf the internet, I just haven't got any connection. When ...

  1. Linksys WRT 54GS v6

    Hi,

    I'm having trouble with me router and hope that one of you guys can help me.

    I usally have no problem using the LAN but when I try to surf the internet,
    I just haven't got any connection. When that happens I have to cut off the
    power to the router and put it back on (that usally does the trick), but
    somethimes I have to reboot the pc's as well.

    I'm using a mix of computers. Some are hinotes with wireless netcards
    (Linksys and others) but also wired (3Com / Intel) and they all have the
    same problem.

    I have the latest firmware from Linksys but have heard that many prefer
    another firmware that made by others than Linksys.

    I used to have a Linksys WRT 54G v3 with the same problem.

    TIA

    MJ

  2. Re: Linksys WRT 54GS v6

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:55:29 +0200, "Mike Johnson"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm having trouble with me router and hope that one of you guys can help me.
    >
    >I usally have no problem using the LAN but when I try to surf the internet,
    >I just haven't got any connection. When that happens I have to cut off the
    >power to the router and put it back on (that usally does the trick), but
    >somethimes I have to reboot the pc's as well.
    >
    >I'm using a mix of computers. Some are hinotes with wireless netcards
    >(Linksys and others) but also wired (3Com / Intel) and they all have the
    >same problem.
    >
    >I have the latest firmware from Linksys but have heard that many prefer
    >another firmware that made by others than Linksys.
    >
    >I used to have a Linksys WRT 54G v3 with the same problem.
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >MJ

    ALOT of the magazines prefer Tomato software for the LinkSys. I
    personally have HyperWRT. They all basically do the same thing, give
    you access to more of the routers controls. I have boosted my signal
    strength, not to the max though, giving better access by my wireless
    computers. Mine does not shut off but I do not have the latest version
    of the router.

  3. Re: Linksys WRT 54GS v6

    "f/fgeorge" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:55:29 +0200, "Mike Johnson"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I'm having trouble with me router and hope that one of you guys can help
    >>me.
    >>
    >>I usally have no problem using the LAN but when I try to surf the
    >>internet,
    >>I just haven't got any connection. When that happens I have to cut off the
    >>power to the router and put it back on (that usally does the trick), but
    >>somethimes I have to reboot the pc's as well.
    >>
    >>I'm using a mix of computers. Some are hinotes with wireless netcards
    >>(Linksys and others) but also wired (3Com / Intel) and they all have the
    >>same problem.
    >>
    >>I have the latest firmware from Linksys but have heard that many prefer
    >>another firmware that made by others than Linksys.
    >>
    >>I used to have a Linksys WRT 54G v3 with the same problem.
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>MJ

    > ALOT of the magazines prefer Tomato software for the LinkSys. I
    > personally have HyperWRT. They all basically do the same thing, give
    > you access to more of the routers controls. I have boosted my signal
    > strength, not to the max though, giving better access by my wireless
    > computers. Mine does not shut off but I do not have the latest version
    > of the router.

    Next time the problem turns up try connecting to the Linksys built in web
    browser and checking on the status of your WAN connection. Then while there
    try telling the Linksys to disconnect and then reconnect and see if that
    fixes things. If it does then it's possible that your ISP is taking you out
    of service for some reason or you might need to turn on some kind of "Keep
    alive" feature on the router in order to keep the WAN link alive during
    times of no traffic from your machines.

    If the above does nothing to relieve the problem, try going to an affected
    machine and using the "ipconfig /release" command followed by a "ipconfig
    /renew" and see if that brings up the connection. If it does then you may
    have something or someone messing with your wireless link, possibly trying
    to use one of your IP address values to leach from your feed.

    I have run into similar problems when a lab machine was given a fixed IP
    value that the routers DHCP was also giving out.

  4. Re: Linksys WRT 54GS v6

    "GlowingBlueMist" wrote in message
    > "f/fgeorge" wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:55:29 +0200, "Mike Johnson"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I'm having trouble with me router and hope that one of you guys can help
    >>>me.
    >>>
    >>>I usally have no problem using the LAN but when I try to surf the
    >>>internet,
    >>>I just haven't got any connection. When that happens I have to cut off
    >>>the
    >>>power to the router and put it back on (that usally does the trick), but
    >>>somethimes I have to reboot the pc's as well.
    >>>
    >>>I'm using a mix of computers. Some are hinotes with wireless netcards
    >>>(Linksys and others) but also wired (3Com / Intel) and they all have the
    >>>same problem.
    >>>
    >>>I have the latest firmware from Linksys but have heard that many prefer
    >>>another firmware that made by others than Linksys.
    >>>
    >>>I used to have a Linksys WRT 54G v3 with the same problem.
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>MJ

    >> ALOT of the magazines prefer Tomato software for the LinkSys. I
    >> personally have HyperWRT. They all basically do the same thing, give
    >> you access to more of the routers controls. I have boosted my signal
    >> strength, not to the max though, giving better access by my wireless
    >> computers. Mine does not shut off but I do not have the latest version
    >> of the router.

    > Next time the problem turns up try connecting to the Linksys built in web
    > browser and checking on the status of your WAN connection. Then while
    > there try telling the Linksys to disconnect and then reconnect and see if
    > that fixes things. If it does then it's possible that your ISP is taking
    > you out of service for some reason or you might need to turn on some kind
    > of "Keep alive" feature on the router in order to keep the WAN link alive
    > during times of no traffic from your machines.
    >
    > If the above does nothing to relieve the problem, try going to an affected
    > machine and using the "ipconfig /release" command followed by a "ipconfig
    > /renew" and see if that brings up the connection. If it does then you may
    > have something or someone messing with your wireless link, possibly trying
    > to use one of your IP address values to leach from your feed.
    >
    > I have run into similar problems when a lab machine was given a fixed IP
    > value that the routers DHCP was also giving out.

    One other thought, check the DHCP configuration in the router to make sure
    it has been allowed to give out enough IP address values for the number of
    machines you have.

    I seem to remember there was a corresponding value in the wireless section
    where you could set the maximum number of wireless users but I no longer
    have that model to verify this with.

    Power cycling the router would "fix" the problem temporarily until all of
    the machines had tried to get an IP. Those who requested an address last or
    so would be stuck using an IP address in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range which is
    the default for machines that could not get a remote DHCP IP.
    169.xxx.xxx.xxx values are not allowed to be routed out onto the internet.

  5. Re: Linksys WRT 54GS v6

    On Sep 4, 3:45*pm, "GlowingBlueMist" wrote:
    > "GlowingBlueMist" wrote in message

    > > "f/fgeorge" wrote in message

    > >> ALOT of the magazines prefer Tomato software for the LinkSys. I
    > >> personally have HyperWRT. They all basically do the same thing, give
    > >> you access *to more of the routers controls. I have boosted my signal
    > >> strength, not to the max though, giving better access by my wireless
    > >> computers. Mine does not shut off but I do not have the latest version
    > >> of the router.

    > > Next time the problem turns up try connecting to the Linksys built in web
    > > browser and checking on the status of your WAN connection. *Then while
    > > there try telling the Linksys to disconnect and then reconnect and see if
    > > that fixes things. *If it does then it's possible that your ISP is taking
    > > you out of service for some reason or you might need to turn on some kind
    > > of "Keep alive" feature on the router in order to keep the WAN link alive
    > > during times of no traffic from your machines.

    > > If the above does nothing to relieve the problem, try going to an affected
    > > machine and using the "ipconfig /release" command followed by a "ipconfig
    > > /renew" and see if that brings up the connection. *If it does then you may
    > > have something or someone messing with your wireless link, possibly trying
    > > to use one of your IP address values to leach from your feed.

    > > I have run into similar problems when a lab machine was given a fixed IP
    > > value that the routers DHCP was also giving out.

    > One other thought, check the DHCP configuration in the router to make sure
    > it has been allowed to give out enough IP address values for the number of
    > machines you have.
    >
    > I seem to remember there was a corresponding value in the wireless section
    > where you could set the maximum number of wireless users but I no longer
    > have that model to verify this with.
    >
    > Power cycling the router would "fix" the problem temporarily until all of
    > the machines had tried to get an IP. *Those who requested an address last or
    > so would be stuck using an IP address in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range which is
    > the default for machines that could not get a remote DHCP IP.
    > 169.xxx.xxx.xxx values are not allowed to be routed out onto the internet..

    Hmm. I saw something like this once but in my case it seems to have
    been power related. Maybe someone needs to come up with a "Router
    UPS"

    small capacitor array in a Maplins project box with a plug and socket,
    you plug it into Mr Router (has diode protection in case of accidents)
    and the power supply.

    You can get 4700 uF capacitors that are very small now, and a small
    PCB double sided with a bit of work would hold enough to hold up the
    router's power for about a minute (which would at least stop the
    connection droppage)

    I would have suggested a battery but you are pretty much stuck here as
    Nicad are extinct and NiMH can't really be trickle charged or they
    cook. You might however be able to have a PIC pulse charge the 12V
    battery say every day for one minute only (enough to offset charge
    leakage without frying the cells)

    Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread