two routers working together - Routers

This is a discussion on two routers working together - Routers ; My sister has 2 PCs connected to wired Linksys router to share Internet connection. Her roommate has a laptop and would like to be able to share my sister's Internet connection from time to time. Is it possible to connect ...

  1. two routers working together

    My sister has 2 PCs connected to wired Linksys router to share Internet
    connection. Her roommate has a laptop and would like to be able to share my
    sister's Internet connection from time to time.
    Is it possible to connect a wireless router to the wired router to do the
    job? What issues should she be aware of in such situation? What is the best
    solution?

    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Re: two routers working together

    "mark" wrote in message
    > My sister has 2 PCs connected to wired Linksys router to share Internet
    > connection. Her roommate has a laptop and would like to be able to share
    > my sister's Internet connection from time to time.
    > Is it possible to connect a wireless router to the wired router to do the
    > job? What issues should she be aware of in such situation? What is the
    > best solution?

    > http://www.usenet.com

    If it was my sister I would have her roommate purchase a replacement router
    that already has wired and wireless options built in. With a little
    shopping around they can be had for about the same price as adding a
    wireless access point to the existing router. Check out the prices at
    www.tigerdirect.com for example.

    Keep the existing Linksys in a box as a backup. Tape or rubber band the
    power module to the disconnected Linksys box as they usually get lost over
    time when not actually plugged in.

    As for what to watch out for, enable the highest wireless security feature
    that is compatible with the laptop and the replacement router. Many come
    with wireless security features turned off by default in order to make it
    "easy" for a newbie to get wireless working the first time with no regards
    for security.

+ Reply to Thread