Sound File Corruption - Routers

This is a discussion on Sound File Corruption - Routers ; I use a D-Link router (DIR-625) to transfer audio files between two workstations located within the same building. I use a hard wired connection rather than wireless. The process involves recording live music to wave, compress to flac then transfer ...

  1. Sound File Corruption

    I use a D-Link router (DIR-625) to transfer audio files between two
    workstations located within the same building. I use a hard wired
    connection rather than wireless. The process involves recording live
    music to wave, compress to flac then transfer the flac files to
    (literally) another room for decoding back to wave (using a program
    called 'trader's little helper' . . . excellent app, by the way), then
    further processing of the wave file.

    Problem I'm having is that I was having an inordinate amount of
    corrupt files during decoding at the receiving workstation. Using the
    same app/same version to decode at the originating workstation, I'm
    not getting the corruption.

    Possible to have corruption due to a 'bad' transfer through this short
    network? If so, how can I test the transfer to somehow peg this down?
    For the moment, I'm delving much deeper than I thought into the
    compression tech in order to understand just what is happening to the
    files. But on the hardware front, if indeed the router, would
    appreciate any opinion or even stabs at this problem.

    thanks
    --

    Monroe

  2. Re: Sound File Corruption

    Monroe wrote:
    > I use a D-Link router (DIR-625) to transfer audio files between two
    > workstations located within the same building. I use a hard wired
    > connection rather than wireless. The process involves recording live
    > music to wave, compress to flac then transfer the flac files to
    > (literally) another room for decoding back to wave (using a program
    > called 'trader's little helper' . . . excellent app, by the way), then
    > further processing of the wave file.
    >
    > Problem I'm having is that I was having an inordinate amount of
    > corrupt files during decoding at the receiving workstation. Using the
    > same app/same version to decode at the originating workstation, I'm
    > not getting the corruption.
    >
    > Possible to have corruption due to a 'bad' transfer through this short
    > network? If so, how can I test the transfer to somehow peg this down?
    > For the moment, I'm delving much deeper than I thought into the
    > compression tech in order to understand just what is happening to the
    > files. But on the hardware front, if indeed the router, would
    > appreciate any opinion or even stabs at this problem.
    >
    > thanks
    > --
    >
    > Monroe

    Monroe:

    The first thing I would try is to transfer a few files in .WAV format.
    The compression may be corrupting the files rather than the network
    transfer.

    The second thing I would try is a new, temporary, cable between the
    two stations. Go out and buy a pre-made patch cable of whatever length
    will work. A "Homemade" patch cable is an unnecessary complication at
    this point.

    HTH & GL

    John
    --