Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network? - Routers

This is a discussion on Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network? - Routers ; Im a teacher at a small school. We have one 2003 server and several teachers computers. We also have student computers some which are laptops. I don't know some about networking but don't know how to do what I want ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    Im a teacher at a small school. We have one 2003 server and several
    teachers computers. We also have student computers some which are
    laptops.

    I don't know some about networking but don't know how to do what I
    want at this point.

    We have one connection to the internet. What I want is two separate
    networks. One that accesses the Windows server and other resources on
    that network. eg printers, small library database computers etc. but
    also allows you to surf the net. But I also want another network that
    students can connect to just to surf the net. They would not be able
    to access the server or any resources on its network. Now of course
    this is already achieved by passwords and active directories etc. But
    I would also like to separate it by the network. One added feature of
    this is that I could put wireless networks on the one network (student
    Net) eg the one that is just for surfing which helps a little in the
    area of security.

    I don't really know how to do this. I'm sure that its just primarily
    through IP settings etc. on the router but I dont know know how to do
    this. Does anyone know of a web site that would help me here or give
    me a simple description of how to do this that would help to get this
    started.

    As an added question if I may. I bought a wireless N router and a
    wireless N card. This is suppose to travel farther than other wifi
    signals. I have not found this to be true any anyone give me any
    feedback on their findings.

    Regards

  2. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    steve wrote:
    > Im a teacher at a small school. We have one 2003 server and several
    > teachers computers. We also have student computers some which are
    > laptops.
    >
    > I don't know some about networking but don't know how to do what I
    > want at this point.
    >
    > We have one connection to the internet. What I want is two separate
    > networks. One that accesses the Windows server and other resources on
    > that network. eg printers, small library database computers etc. but
    > also allows you to surf the net. But I also want another network that
    > students can connect to just to surf the net. They would not be able
    > to access the server or any resources on its network. Now of course
    > this is already achieved by passwords and active directories etc. But
    > I would also like to separate it by the network. One added feature of
    > this is that I could put wireless networks on the one network (student
    > Net) eg the one that is just for surfing which helps a little in the
    > area of security.
    >
    > I don't really know how to do this. I'm sure that its just primarily
    > through IP settings etc. on the router but I dont know know how to do
    > this. Does anyone know of a web site that would help me here or give
    > me a simple description of how to do this that would help to get this
    > started.
    >
    > As an added question if I may. I bought a wireless N router and a
    > wireless N card. This is suppose to travel farther than other wifi
    > signals. I have not found this to be true any anyone give me any
    > feedback on their findings.
    >
    > Regards

    The easiest way to do this is to have the student network router connect
    to the internet connection. Then connect the teacher network router to a
    port on the student network router. For some added safety you could put
    the two different networks on different IP address ranges (i.e students
    - 192.168.0.x, teachers - 10.10.x.x).

    Since the student network is "outside" the teacher network the students
    can't easily get past the router into the teacher network, but the
    teacher network can get out to the internet through the student router.

    ken

  3. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    steve wrote:
    > Im a teacher at a small school. We have one 2003 server and several
    > teachers computers. We also have student computers some which are
    > laptops.
    >
    > I don't know some about networking but don't know how to do what I
    > want at this point.
    >
    > We have one connection to the internet. What I want is two separate
    > networks. One that accesses the Windows server and other resources on
    > that network. eg printers, small library database computers etc. but
    > also allows you to surf the net. But I also want another network that
    > students can connect to just to surf the net. They would not be able
    > to access the server or any resources on its network. Now of course
    > this is already achieved by passwords and active directories etc. But
    > I would also like to separate it by the network. One added feature of
    > this is that I could put wireless networks on the one network (student
    > Net) eg the one that is just for surfing which helps a little in the
    > area of security.
    >
    > I don't really know how to do this. I'm sure that its just primarily
    > through IP settings etc. on the router but I dont know know how to do
    > this. Does anyone know of a web site that would help me here or give
    > me a simple description of how to do this that would help to get this
    > started.
    >
    > As an added question if I may. I bought a wireless N router and a
    > wireless N card. This is suppose to travel farther than other wifi
    > signals. I have not found this to be true any anyone give me any
    > feedback on their findings.
    >
    > Regards

    Using passwords in Active Directory is not a proper way of preventing
    access to it.

    What you should do is have a Wireless subnet which students can use to
    surf the Internet, and use access lists to prevent that subnet from
    accessing the Servers (which you will put on another subnet).

    What sort of router you have, and what sort of interfaces that router
    has on it will determine how this is set up. Of course - the equipment
    is your only limitation. :-)

    So, if you replied with some Make & Models of the network equipment that
    you already have, or if you were open to spending; then someone (even on
    this newgroup) could help you to start planning.

    Regards,
    Jason

  4. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    Jason or others.

    Thanks for your advice.

    We have several routers, no consistency I'm afraid. As the place grew
    and more and more area wanted wifi then they got added.

    Dlink ebr2310 (which is our dhcp and our gateway to the world)
    USR8054 x2
    Linksys wrt54gs
    Linksys WRT300N

    I provide these to show you waht we have. And of course we can buy
    more. But I think what Im looking for is to understand the concept.
    Because of course I think (if your not too picky) any router can
    basically do what you have mentioned. eg set up a sub net. (Please
    feel free to correct me on anything)

    IF my presumption is true(?) That most routers can do this. I have
    several questions. BTW our current addressing scheme is 192.168.1.x
    and we have one Router doing dhcp. The server does not do this. This
    is the system I inherited.

    Lets call the two networks Office and Student.

    Would I just plug the Wifi routers in the office network. Set one up
    to do DHCP based on 192.168.2.x (or even 10.1.0.x just to make it
    really different) Then give all the student wifi routers static ip's
    of the 192.168.2.1 , 2, 3, etc. Any Wifi that I wanted Teachers to
    access the network say the teachers lounge I would give the
    192.168.1.x address. (yes I know there will be some leakage from the
    lounge but Im really just trying to understand the concept at the
    moment.

    By the way if anyone wants to read a great relatively simple article
    on routers and basically how they work and how to set up two routers
    to create a super secure network here are a few links. I have read
    them and they are great. However they dont quite do what I want.

    http://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm
    http://www.grc.com/nat/nats.htm

    Here is a suggested diagram. Cut and paste into notepad or some other
    mono spacing text editor.

    DMZ
    .-------.
    '-------'

    | ()
    .-------. .-------. .-------. /\/\/\/
    |Switch|----------|Switch|--|NatRout|-------------| NWFR |
    '-------' '-------' '-------' \/\/\/
    | | |
    | | |
    | | .----------|
    | | | |
    | | () | |
    | () /\/\/\/ | | ()
    /\/\/\/ | NWFR | | /\/\/\/
    | NWFR | \/\/\/ | | NWFR |
    \/\/\/ Student | \/\/\/
    Student | Student
    | ()
    /\/\/\/
    | NWFR |Office
    \/\/\/

    ----Table------------------------------------------------------------

    -
    .-------.
    |Switch| == Switch NAT WIFI ROUTER
    '-------'
    ()
    /\/\/\/
    .-------. | NWFR |
    |NatRout|==NAT Router \/\/\/
    '-------'
    (created by AACircuit v1.28.4 beta 13/12/04 www.tech-chat.de)

  5. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    Ken I didnt see your post untill now.

    Im trying to understand your answer. If I put a router on the
    network. so >>dmz - [router-dhcp]--- students --- [router] ---
    teachers---- Does this mean that I can use the same ip scheme eg
    192.168.1.x on both networks but the students will not be able to
    access anything behind the teachers router that is downstream ?( I
    get the term downstream and upstream confused so I may mean upstream)
    Basically that students will not be able to access teachers stuff.
    Also If I use a separate numbering scheme eg 10.1.0.x do I have to set
    up the teachers router to do that. and will it do it for different
    "legs" of the net that have wifi or network connections. What would be
    the pros and cons of using the same subnet (if thats what the
    192.168.1.x is ) from using and setting up a second one for the
    teachers.
    Hope Im clear and dont ask to goofy questions.

    Thanks.

  6. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    steve wrote:
    > Ken I didnt see your post untill now.
    >
    > Im trying to understand your answer. If I put a router on the
    > network. so >>dmz - [router-dhcp]--- students --- [router]

    You want both routers to be doing dhcp.

    ---
    > teachers---- Does this mean that I can use the same ip scheme eg
    > 192.168.1.x on both networks but the students will not be able to
    > access anything behind the teachers router that is downstream ?

    You can do that. I just prefer to have them on separate address ranges
    to help minimize confusion (mine as well as possibly router).

    Because the students router is upstream (outside) of the teachers
    router, any attempt to get passed the teachers router will be blocked
    (routers are at a minimum one way firewalls - without a request from
    inside, nothing coming from the outside gets in).

    > (I get the term downstream and upstream confused so I may mean upstream)
    > Basically that students will not be able to access teachers stuff.
    > Also If I use a separate numbering scheme eg 10.1.0.x do I have to set
    > up the teachers router to do that.

    You can set either router for a different address range.

    and will it do it for different
    > "legs" of the net that have wifi or network connections.

    Each router would have its own IP address range and therefore whichever
    routers provide wifi would use the range set in that router. Each router
    can support up to 255 devices.

    What would be
    > the pros and cons of using the same subnet (if thats what the
    > 192.168.1.x is ) from using and setting up a second one for the
    > teachers.

    I am not well versed in subnet masking (i.e. 255.255.255.0). I do know
    that you can you the same IP address range (192.169.1.x) with different
    subnet masks to keep things separate, but I'm not confident enough with
    it to give advice.

    > Hope Im clear and dont ask to goofy questions.
    >
    > Thanks.

  7. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    > You want both routers to be doing dhcp.

    So one router would do IP's for Students and another would do IP's for
    teachers is what I hear you saying.

    > > teachers---- Does this mean that I can use the same ip scheme eg
    > > 192.168.1.x on both networks but the students will not be able to
    > > access anything behind the teachers router that is downstream ?

    > You can do that. I just prefer to have them on separate address ranges
    > to help minimize confusion (mine as well as possibly router).

    Yes I agree 192.x and 10.x Nice and clear.

    > Because the students router is upstream (outside) of the teachers
    > router, any attempt to get passed the teachers router will be blocked
    > (routers are at a minimum one way firewalls - without a request from
    > inside, nothing coming from the outside gets in).

    Yes I understand, love that NAT.

    > You can set either router for a different address range.
    >
    > and will it do it for different
    >
    > > "legs" of the net that have wifi or network connections.

    > Each router would have its own IP address range and therefore whichever
    > routers provide wifi would use the range set in that router. Each router
    > can support up to 255 devices.

    Ok I need a little more fleshing out here I don't quite understand
    what you mean here.

    Say you have a network that looks like Pitch fork. There are 3 spikes
    on the fork. Along the fork there are wireless routers and computers
    for the students. However at the end of the tines (the spike of the
    fork) you put a Teacher router. Can you set one of these teacher
    routers to do dhcp for the teachers, then give each of the teachers
    routers a different IP address, say 10.1.0.1. & .2 & .3 set each of
    the subnet masks to 255.255.255.0 and I'm done. This will mean that in
    total I will allow roughly 255 computers on this subnet 10.1.0.1-255
    (this is way more than we need by the way).
    Can one dhcp figure out who it is suppose to give IP's though on a
    network that has other traffic on it.

    Will the routers at the end of spike 2 and 3 find the DHCP on 10.1.0.1
    despite the fact that the network is also the students network.
    Do ya get what I mean??

    > What would be
    > > the pros and cons of using the same subnet (if thats what the
    > > 192.168.1.x is ) from using and setting up a second one for the
    > > teachers.

    > I am not well versed in subnet masking (i.e. 255.255.255.0). I do know
    > that you can you the same IP address range (192.169.1.x) with different
    > subnet masks to keep things separate, but I'm not confident enough with
    > it to give advice.

    Sure and frankly subnets 192.x and 10.x makes it clearer.

    Hope Im clear enough. Frankly its sort of fun figuring it all out.

    Regards

  8. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    steve wrote:
    > Im a teacher at a small school. We have one 2003 server and several
    > teachers computers. We also have student computers some which are
    > laptops.
    >
    > I don't know some about networking but don't know how to do what I
    > want at this point.
    >
    > We have one connection to the internet. What I want is two separate
    > networks. One that accesses the Windows server and other resources on
    > that network. eg printers, small library database computers etc. but
    > also allows you to surf the net. But I also want another network that
    > students can connect to just to surf the net. They would not be able
    > to access the server or any resources on its network. Now of course
    > this is already achieved by passwords and active directories etc. But
    > I would also like to separate it by the network. One added feature of
    > this is that I could put wireless networks on the one network (student
    > Net) eg the one that is just for surfing which helps a little in the
    > area of security.
    >
    > I don't really know how to do this. I'm sure that its just primarily
    > through IP settings etc. on the router but I dont know know how to do
    > this. Does anyone know of a web site that would help me here or give
    > me a simple description of how to do this that would help to get this
    > started.
    >
    > As an added question if I may. I bought a wireless N router and a
    > wireless N card. This is suppose to travel farther than other wifi
    > signals. I have not found this to be true any anyone give me any
    > feedback on their findings.
    >
    > Regards

    The person who wrote this is s teacher? Egad!

  9. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    On Aug 12, 10:31 am, Major Minor wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    > > Im a teacher at a small school. We have one 2003 server and several
    > > teachers computers. We also have student computers some which are
    > > laptops.

    > > I don't know some about networking but don't know how to do what I
    > > want at this point.

    > > We have one connection to the internet. What I want is two separate
    > > networks. One that accesses the Windows server and other resources on
    > > that network. eg printers, small library database computers etc. but
    > > also allows you to surf the net. But I also want another network that
    > > students can connect to just to surf the net. They would not be able
    > > to access the server or any resources on its network. Now of course
    > > this is already achieved by passwords and active directories etc. But
    > > I would also like to separate it by the network. One added feature of
    > > this is that I could put wireless networks on the one network (student
    > > Net) eg the one that is just for surfing which helps a little in the
    > > area of security.

    > > I don't really know how to do this. I'm sure that its just primarily
    > > through IP settings etc. on the router but I dont know know how to do
    > > this. Does anyone know of a web site that would help me here or give
    > > me a simple description of how to do this that would help to get this
    > > started.

    > > As an added question if I may. I bought a wireless N router and a
    > > wireless N card. This is suppose to travel farther than other wifi
    > > signals. I have not found this to be true any anyone give me any
    > > feedback on their findings.

    > > Regards

    > The person who wrote this is s teacher? Egad!

    Yes thanks for the compliment I should really be in IT Instead of the
    History department.

    Regards

  10. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    steve wrote:
    >> You want both routers to be doing dhcp.

    > So one router would do IP's for Students and another would do IP's for
    > teachers is what I hear you saying.

    yes

    >>> teachers---- Does this mean that I can use the same ip scheme eg
    >>> 192.168.1.x on both networks but the students will not be able to
    >>> access anything behind the teachers router that is downstream ?

    >> You can do that. I just prefer to have them on separate address ranges
    >> to help minimize confusion (mine as well as possibly router).

    > Yes I agree 192.x and 10.x Nice and clear.
    >
    >> Because the students router is upstream (outside) of the teachers
    >> router, any attempt to get passed the teachers router will be blocked
    >> (routers are at a minimum one way firewalls - without a request from
    >> inside, nothing coming from the outside gets in).

    > Yes I understand, love that NAT.
    >

    >> You can set either router for a different address range.
    >>
    >> and will it do it for different
    >>
    >>> "legs" of the net that have wifi or network connections.

    >> Each router would have its own IP address range and therefore whichever
    >> routers provide wifi would use the range set in that router. Each router
    >> can support up to 255 devices.

    > Ok I need a little more fleshing out here I don't quite understand
    > what you mean here.
    >
    > Say you have a network that looks like Pitch fork. There are 3 spikes
    > on the fork. Along the fork there are wireless routers and computers
    > for the students. However at the end of the tines (the spike of the
    > fork) you put a Teacher router. Can you set one of these teacher
    > routers to do dhcp for the teachers, then give each of the teachers
    > routers a different IP address, say 10.1.0.1. & .2 & .3 set each of
    > the subnet masks to 255.255.255.0 and I'm done. This will mean that in
    > total I will allow roughly 255 computers on this subnet 10.1.0.1-255
    > (this is way more than we need by the way).
    > Can one dhcp figure out who it is suppose to give IP's though on a
    > network that has other traffic on it.
    >
    > Will the routers at the end of spike 2 and 3 find the DHCP on 10.1.0.1
    > despite the fact that the network is also the students network.
    > Do ya get what I mean??

    I think I'm lost.

    Let's back up a little. How many student computers do you need to
    accommodate (wired and wireless)? How many teacher computers (wired and
    wireless)?

    >> What would be
    >>> the pros and cons of using the same subnet (if thats what the
    >>> 192.168.1.x is ) from using and setting up a second one for the
    >>> teachers.

    >> I am not well versed in subnet masking (i.e. 255.255.255.0). I do know
    >> that you can you the same IP address range (192.169.1.x) with different
    >> subnet masks to keep things separate, but I'm not confident enough with
    >> it to give advice.

    > Sure and frankly subnets 192.x and 10.x makes it clearer.
    >
    > Hope Im clear enough. Frankly its sort of fun figuring it all out.
    >
    > Regards

  11. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    ken wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >>> You want both routers to be doing dhcp.

    >> So one router would do IP's for Students and another would do IP's for
    >> teachers is what I hear you saying.
    >>

    > yes

    >>> You can do that. I just prefer to have them on separate address ranges
    >>> to help minimize confusion (mine as well as possibly router).

    >> Yes I agree 192.x and 10.x Nice and clear.
    >>
    >>> Because the students router is upstream (outside) of the teachers
    >>> router, any attempt to get passed the teachers router will be blocked
    >>> (routers are at a minimum one way firewalls - without a request from
    >>> inside, nothing coming from the outside gets in).

    >> Yes I understand, love that NAT.
    >>

    >>> You can set either router for a different address range.
    >>>
    >>> and will it do it for different

    >>> Each router would have its own IP address range and therefore whichever
    >>> routers provide wifi would use the range set in that router. Each router
    >>> can support up to 255 devices.

    >> Ok I need a little more fleshing out here I don't quite understand
    >> what you mean here.
    >>
    >> Say you have a network that looks like Pitch fork. There are 3 spikes
    >> on the fork. Along the fork there are wireless routers and computers
    >> for the students. However at the end of the tines (the spike of the
    >> fork) you put a Teacher router. Can you set one of these teacher
    >> routers to do dhcp for the teachers, then give each of the teachers
    >> routers a different IP address, say 10.1.0.1. & .2 & .3 set each of
    >> the subnet masks to 255.255.255.0 and I'm done. This will mean that in
    >> total I will allow roughly 255 computers on this subnet 10.1.0.1-255
    >> (this is way more than we need by the way).
    >> Can one dhcp figure out who it is suppose to give IP's though on a
    >> network that has other traffic on it.
    >>
    >> Will the routers at the end of spike 2 and 3 find the DHCP on 10.1.0.1
    >> despite the fact that the network is also the students network.
    >> Do ya get what I mean??
    >>

    > I think I'm lost.
    >
    > Let's back up a little. How many student computers do you need to
    > accommodate (wired and wireless)? How many teacher computers (wired and
    > wireless)?

    Forgot to add... Are the computers spread out over some distance or
    would one wireless router cover the area?

    >>> What would be
    >>> I am not well versed in subnet masking (i.e. 255.255.255.0). I do know
    >>> that you can you the same IP address range (192.169.1.x) with different
    >>> subnet masks to keep things separate, but I'm not confident enough with
    >>> it to give advice.

    >> Sure and frankly subnets 192.x and 10.x makes it clearer.
    >>
    >> Hope Im clear enough. Frankly its sort of fun figuring it all out.
    >>
    >> Regards

  12. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    >Let's back up a little. How many student computers do you need to
    >accommodate (wired and wireless)? How many teacher computers (wired and
    >wireless)?

    Student computers would be about 5 Wired and 10-15 Wireless.
    Teachers computers and library are about 15.

    >Forgot to add... Are the computers spread out over some distance or
    >would one wireless router cover the area?

    Campus is several Buildings and residences (Row Houses) The buildings
    are around 70-100+ years old, Some buidings are 20 feet away others
    are maybe 75 feet away.Not that far apart really. That means SOLID
    construction, stone brick thick walls. We have several WIFIs now but
    struggle with conectivity.
    In thinking this through one of the problems is that Im going to have
    to go through and change all the ip's on all the devices, printers etc
    and possibly reconfigure the server. And add Routers onto the existing
    line to create the second layer of defense (second network.)

    Your comment back to me leads me to think that the the question
    regarding DHCP is no! eg if you have one teacher router connected to
    the upstream student network, that the one teacher router will not be
    able to see the second teacher router connected upstream to the
    student network.
    That there needs to be a separate network cable connecting the
    teachers network and students network.

    Right now its basically network cable running here and there and
    trying to separate the lines upstream and down stream may be very
    hard?? I could diagram it basically if it would like to show you how
    its configured now.
    Regards

  13. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    In other words NO one wireless router would not work. We have several
    now!

    Regards

  14. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    "steve" wrote in message

    >> The person who wrote this is s teacher? Egad!

    > Yes thanks for the compliment I should really be in IT Instead of the
    > History department.
    >
    > Regards

    lol - a fine retort!

    People seem to forget that usenet postings aren't usually used as doctoral
    theses or even papers.
    Nevertheless, the (amateur) grammar and usage police are everywhere! Beware!
    Hide the women and children!
    PS: consider how much more interesting the original post might have been had
    it come from a CrackBerry or simlar mobile phone with a next to useless
    keypad!

  15. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    steve wrote:
    >> Let's back up a little. How many student computers do you need to
    >> accommodate (wired and wireless)? How many teacher computers (wired and
    >> wireless)?

    > Student computers would be about 5 Wired and 10-15 Wireless.
    > Teachers computers and library are about 15.

    So, based on number of computers 1 router for students, 1 for teachers
    would easily handle the addressing. The issue is distributing the signal
    (wired or wireless) throughout the area. Rather than routers you need
    wireless access points (WAPs) and switches to distribute the
    connectivity. Some wireless routers can be used as WAPs (software settings).

    >> Forgot to add... Are the computers spread out over some distance or
    >> would one wireless router cover the area?

    > Campus is several Buildings and residences (Row Houses) The buildings
    > are around 70-100+ years old, Some buidings are 20 feet away others
    > are maybe 75 feet away.Not that far apart really. That means SOLID
    > construction, stone brick thick walls. We have several WIFIs now but
    > struggle with conectivity.

    Distance doesn't seem to be the problem, it is the construction that
    makes wireless difficult.

    > In thinking this through one of the problems is that Im going to have
    > to go through and change all the ip's on all the devices, printers etc
    > and possibly reconfigure the server. And add Routers onto the existing
    > line to create the second layer of defense (second network.)
    >
    > Your comment back to me leads me to think that the the question
    > regarding DHCP is no! eg if you have one teacher router connected to
    > the upstream student network, that the one teacher router will not be
    > able to see the second teacher router connected upstream to the
    > student network.

    Supposedly it can be done, but so far my attempts have not been successful.

    > That there needs to be a separate network cable connecting the
    > teachers network and students network.
    >
    > Right now its basically network cable running here and there and
    > trying to separate the lines upstream and down stream may be very
    > hard?? I could diagram it basically if it would like to show you how
    > its configured now.
    > Regards

    A diagram probably would be helpful at this point.

    ken

  16. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    Here is a diagram. Cut and paste it into a notepad or other mono
    spacing editor.

    It goes through walls and floors and building. I have not listed that.
    There is actually another device in front of the DHCP router. Thats
    provided by the phone company, presumably a dsl device. Not mine I
    dont mess with it.

    You can see its a mess. But thats what happens when someone says hay
    this internet thing lets get a computer and then someone else says hay
    thats neat lets get a router, then we have a teacher who had a phd in
    computer science and says you need a server with active directories
    and databases yadda yadda yadda. You keep adding and before you know
    it its a mess of wires and stuff. He's gone and someone else has to
    pick up the pieces.

    Regards
    steve.

    DMZ - World
    .-------.
    A |NatRout|DHCP
    '---o---'

    | .--------.
    o----------------------
    o----------------------------------------| Switch |

    | | 1 |
    | SOME RESIDENT
    | 'o-------'
    | STUDENTS PICK UP |
    ACEDEMIC | |
    | THIS SIGNAL |
    OFFICES | #-2003 Server
    C | () |
    o---------------o | Active Dir
    /\/\/\/ |
    | |
    | NWFR | ADMIN |
    | | 3
    o\o\/o/ OFFICE | |
    2 .-------.
    | | |
    o .-------. |Switch|
    | | | # |
    Switch| '-------'-o
    | | | 'o-o-o-
    o' | | |
    | | | | | |
    | | | |
    o o | | | |
    | | | |
    # # | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | o o o
    | o o o
    o | # #
    D | () # # #
    # |
    /\o\/
    \/ |
    THIS | NWFR | LIBRARY STUDENT
    COMPUTER |
    WIFI IS o\o\/o/
    ROOM |
    FOR | |
    | B | ()
    STUDENTS | |
    | /\/\o\/
    ALSO | | o DATABASE FOR
    CATELOGUES | NWFR | WIFI WE ATTEMPT
    | |
    # \o\/o/
    TO BROADCAST

    o |
    | TO RESIDENCES
    | # CARD CATELOGUES COMPUTER FOR SERCHEING CARD
    DB | |

    o | |
    # CARD CATELOGUES COMPUTER FOR SEARCHING CARD
    DB | |
    + o o--------o
    () TABLE
    SCHEMATIC # |
    /\/\/
    \/
    | ()
    | NWFR | NatWifiRouter B C
    D /\o\/\/
    \/\/
    \/
    | NWFR |

    \/o/\/

    # Wired
    Computer

    .-------.

    |NatRout|Nat router
    A o

    '-------'
    #
    .-------.
    |Switch| Switch 1 2 3
    '-------'
    (created by AACircuit v1.28.4 beta 13/12/04 www.tech-chat.de)

  17. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    Here is a diagram. Cut and paste it into a notepad or other mono
    spacing editor.

    It goes through walls and floors and building. I have not listed that.
    There is actually another device in front of the DHCP router. Thats
    provided by the phone company, presumably a dsl device. Not mine I
    dont mess with it.

    You can see its a mess. But thats what happens when someone says hay
    this internet thing lets get a computer and then someone else says hay
    thats neat lets get a router, then we have a teacher who had a phd in
    computer science and says you need a server with active directories
    and databases yadda yadda yadda. You keep adding and before you know
    it its a mess of wires and stuff. He's gone and someone else has to
    pick up the pieces.

    Regards
    steve.

    I hope this diagram works.

    DMZ - World
    .-------.
    A|NatRout|DHCP
    '---o---'

    | .--------.
    o----------------------
    o----------------------------------------| Switch |

    | | 1 |
    | SOME RESIDENT
    | 'o-------'
    | STUDENTS PICK UP |
    ACEDEMIC | |
    | THIS SIGNAL |
    OFFICES | #-2003 Server
    C| () |
    o---------------o | Active Dir
    /\/\/\/ |
    | |
    | NWFR | ADMIN |
    | | 3
    o\o\/o/ OFFICE | |
    2 .-------.
    | | |
    o .-------. |Switch|
    | | | # |
    Switch| '-------'-o
    | | | 'o-o-o-
    o' | | |
    | | | | | |
    | | | |
    o o | | | |
    | | | |
    # # | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | o o o
    | o o o
    o | # #
    D| () # # #
    # |
    /\o\/
    \/ |
    THIS | NWFR | LIBRARY STUDENT
    COMPUTER |
    WIFI IS o\o\/o/
    ROOM |
    FOR | |
    | B | ()
    STUDENTS | |
    | /\/\o\/
    ALSO | | o DATABASE FOR
    CATELOGUES | NWFR | WIFI WE ATTEMPT
    | |
    # \o\/o/
    TO BROADCAST

    o |
    | TO RESIDENCES
    | # CARD CATELOGUES COMPUTER FOR SERCHEING CARD
    DB | |

    o | |
    # CARD CATELOGUES COMPUTER FOR SEARCHING CARD
    DB | |
    + o o--------o
    () TABLE
    SCHEMATIC # |
    /\/\/
    \/
    | ()
    | NWFR | NatWifiRouter B C
    D /\o\/\/
    \/\/
    \/
    | NWFR |

    \/o/\/

    oO

    # Wired
    Computer

    .-------.

    |NatRout|Nat router
    A o

    '-------'
    #
    .-------.
    |Switch| Switch 1 2 3
    '-------'
    (created by AACircuit v1.28.4 beta 13/12/04 www.tech-chat.de)

  18. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    DMZ - World
    .-------.
    A|NatRout|DHCP
    '---o---'

    | .--------.
    o----------------------
    o----------------------------------------| Switch |

    | | 1 |
    | SOME RESIDENT
    | 'o-------'
    | STUDENTS PICK UP |
    ACEDEMIC | |
    | THIS SIGNAL |
    OFFICES | #-2003 Server
    C| () |
    o---------------o | Active Dir
    /\/\/\/ |
    | |
    | NWFR | ADMIN |
    | | 3
    o\o\/o/ OFFICE | |
    2 .-------.
    | | |
    o .-------. |Switch|
    | | | # |
    Switch| '-------'-o
    | | | 'o-o-o-
    o' | | |
    | | | | | |
    | | | |
    o o | | | |
    | | | |
    # # | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | o o o
    | o o o
    o | # #
    D| () # # #
    # |
    /\o\/
    \/ |
    THIS | NWFR | LIBRARY STUDENT
    COMPUTER |
    WIFI IS o\o\/o/
    ROOM |
    FOR | |
    | B | ()
    STUDENTS | |
    | /\/\o\/
    ALSO | | o DATABASE FOR
    CATELOGUES | NWFR | WIFI WE ATTEMPT
    | |
    # \o\/o/
    TO BROADCAST

    o |
    | TO RESIDENCES
    | # CARD CATELOGUES COMPUTER FOR SERCHEING CARD
    DB | |

    o | |
    # CARD CATELOGUES COMPUTER FOR SEARCHING CARD
    DB | |
    + o o--------o
    () TABLE
    SCHEMATIC # |
    /\/\/
    \/
    | ()
    | NWFR | NatWifiRouter B C
    D /\o\/\/
    \/\/
    \/
    | NWFR |

    \/o/\/

    oO

    # Wired
    Computer

    .-------.

    |NatRout|Nat router
    A o

    '-------'
    #
    .-------.
    |Switch| Switch 1 2 3
    '-------'
    (created by AACircuit v1.28.4 beta 13/12/04 www.tech-chat.de)

  19. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    Internet
    .-------.
    |NatRout| DHCP
    '--o----'

    o--------o---------o
    | | |
    | () | |
    /\/\/\/ | .-------. Active Directory
    | NWFR | | |Switch|o---o#Win2003 Server
    o/\o\o | 'o--o---'
    | | | | | |
    | | | | | |
    | | | o | o----------o
    | | | # | |
    | | | .-------. .-------.
    o | | |Switch| |Switch|
    # o | 'o-o-o-o' 'o--o--o'
    # | | | | | | | |
    | | | | | | | |
    | | | | | | | |
    | () | | | | | | |
    /\/\/\/ o o o o o o |
    | NWFR | # # # # # # |
    o/\o\o |
    | | | /\/\/\/
    o | o | NWFR | ()
    # | # \o\/o/ /\/\/\/
    o | | | NWFR |
    | | \/o/\o
    | o------------o |
    o |
    # |
    #
    Table
    ================

    NATWifiRouter
    ()
    /\/\/\/
    | NWFR |
    \/\/\/

    NATRouter
    .-------.
    |NatRout|
    '-------'

    Network Switch
    .-------.
    |Switch|
    '-------'

    Wired Computer
    #

  20. Re: Setting up two separate networks on two routers on one Network?

    View with courier font in notepad.

    Hopefully it will work.

    As you cna see its pretty messy to try to divide up. It goes through
    walls and floors etc. And there isnt much space where existing wires
    are. That what happens when someone says hey lets try this internet
    thing and it keeps expanding.

    What I really want to do is create two networks one that is for the
    students and one that is for the staff/faculty/office.

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast