SMC7004BR - Routers

This is a discussion on SMC7004BR - Routers ; Does anyone use this router? If so, do you use the embedded print server? And, if you do, how did you setup the print server. I use Win XP pro. The router works fine for internet, file and printer sharing ...

  1. SMC7004BR

    Does anyone use this router? If so, do you use the embedded print server?
    And, if you do, how did you setup the print server. I use Win XP pro.

    The router works fine for internet, file and printer sharing among my 3 Win
    XP pro computers -- but I can't get the print server to work. The router's
    embedded web page shows the printer to be in the READY state, and I can
    setup the printer to use the specified IP address, but I get no printer
    output. The printer and software driver work fine when I connect the printer
    directly to the DB25 connector of a computer -- thus they are OK.

  2. Re: SMC7004BR

    M. N. wrote:
    > Does anyone use this router? If so, do you use the embedded print server?
    > And, if you do, how did you setup the print server. I use Win XP pro.
    >
    > The router works fine for internet, file and printer sharing among my 3 Win
    > XP pro computers -- but I can't get the print server to work. The router's
    > embedded web page shows the printer to be in the READY state, and I can
    > setup the printer to use the specified IP address, but I get no printer
    > output. The printer and software driver work fine when I connect the printer
    > directly to the DB25 connector of a computer -- thus they are OK.

    MN:

    I have a simular SMC router but have never used the printer port.

    HOWEVER - the manual states that you have to run the "Printer Port
    Monitor program" on a client PC to enable printing. There is a folder
    on the CD that came with the router named "Printer" that seems to be
    what they are talking about. My understanding is that the monitor
    program redirects output to a local printer port to the printer port
    on the router.

    It does NOT mention anything about XP however.

    I also found this page:

    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/smc/3.3_The_Printer_Port

    How to print from WIN XP / 2000 with SMC Routers with Print Server (#2576)

    To print to the Print Server from Windows XP or Windows 2000 computer,
    you need to configure Printer Port Using TCP/IP

    Settings applicable for SMC7004BR, SMC7004WBR, SMC7004AWBR (Part No.
    750.5312)

    Port name.. IP_192.168.123.254
    Printer Name or IP address: 192.168.123.254
    Protocol.. LPR
    Queue setting.. lp
    LPR byte counting enabled.. checked

    Settings applicable for SMC7004ABR, SMC7004AWBR (Part No. 750.5435),
    SMC2804WBRP-G

    Port name.. IP_192.168.2.1
    Printer Name or IP address: 192.168.2.1
    Protocol.. LPR
    Queue setting.. LPT1
    LPR byte counting enabled.. checked

    Refer the offical User Guide -

    http://www.smc.com/files/AS/WIN2000&...structions.pdf

    The link appears to have instructions for what you want to do.

    HTH & GL

    John

    --
    \\\||///
    ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------

    John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6

  3. Re: SMC7004BR

    On 2008-07-29 16:40:31, John Dulak wrote:

    > M. N. wrote:
    >> Does anyone use this router? If so, do you use the embedded print server?
    >> And, if you do, how did you setup the print server. I use Win XP pro.

    > I have a simular SMC router but have never used the printer port.

    I have this router and have used the printer port, but that was a long time
    ago and I don't remember how exactly I had it set up. But there was nothing
    magic -- I was following some instructions. John's response and the links
    in it probably have all you need.

    OTOH, AFAIR this is not a bidirectional port, and maybe there are printers
    that need a bidirectional connection and won't even print if they don't
    have one.

    Gerhard

  4. Re: SMC7004BR

    John,
    Thanx for all the info you supplied -- especially the pdf document.
    Although I went to the SMC website, I could not find such a document. I
    really appreciate your help.
    Basically I had previously done most of the things specified in the
    document. Some of the things mentioned in the doc are: (1) "uninstall the
    Barricade Printer Port Software, if you've installed it to your PC " (which
    I had not installed), (2) the selection of "Local Printer" instead of
    "Network Printer" for subsequent use in setting up the TCP/IP address.
    (Doesn't "Local" mean attached to the computer -- whereas the embedded print
    server is really on my LAN?) and (3) the specific name of the queue (lp or
    lpt1). I did try several different queue names -- but I don't remember if I
    tried any of these.
    It is interesting to note that when I originally tried to print,
    repeated ICMP SYN packets were continuously sent to the TCP/IP address --
    indicating the TCP handshake was being initiated to try to make a TCP
    connection. The connection was never made and, of course, no printing
    occurred.
    Also of interest is the fact that the SMC website omits support for the
    SMC7004BR, but has support for similar products (for which the pdf document
    applies).
    I plan to give it "another shot" using the updated info you supplied.
    -Marty

    "John Dulak" wrote in message
    > M. N. wrote:
    >> Does anyone use this router? If so, do you use the embedded print server?
    >> And, if you do, how did you setup the print server. I use Win XP pro.
    >>
    >> The router works fine for internet, file and printer sharing among my 3
    >> Win XP pro computers -- but I can't get the print server to work. The
    >> router's embedded web page shows the printer to be in the READY state,
    >> and I can setup the printer to use the specified IP address, but I get
    >> no printer output. The printer and software driver work fine when I
    >> connect the printer directly to the DB25 connector of a computer -- thus
    >> they are OK.

    > MN:
    >
    > I have a simular SMC router but have never used the printer port.
    >
    > HOWEVER - the manual states that you have to run the "Printer Port Monitor
    > program" on a client PC to enable printing. There is a folder on the CD
    > that came with the router named "Printer" that seems to be what they are
    > talking about. My understanding is that the monitor program redirects
    > output to a local printer port to the printer port on the router.
    >
    > It does NOT mention anything about XP however.
    >

    > I also found this page:
    >
    > http://www.dslreports.com/faq/smc/3.3_The_Printer_Port
    >
    > How to print from WIN XP / 2000 with SMC Routers with Print Server (#2576)
    >
    > To print to the Print Server from Windows XP or Windows 2000 computer, you
    > need to configure Printer Port Using TCP/IP
    >
    > Settings applicable for SMC7004BR, SMC7004WBR, SMC7004AWBR (Part No.
    > 750.5312)
    >
    > Port name.. IP_192.168.123.254
    > Printer Name or IP address: 192.168.123.254
    > Protocol.. LPR
    > Queue setting.. lp
    > LPR byte counting enabled.. checked
    >
    > Settings applicable for SMC7004ABR, SMC7004AWBR (Part No. 750.5435),
    > SMC2804WBRP-G
    >
    > Port name.. IP_192.168.2.1
    > Printer Name or IP address: 192.168.2.1
    > Protocol.. LPR
    > Queue setting.. LPT1
    > LPR byte counting enabled.. checked
    >
    > Refer the offical User Guide -
    >
    > http://www.smc.com/files/AS/WIN2000&...structions.pdf
    >
    > The link appears to have instructions for what you want to do.
    >
    > HTH & GL
    >
    > John
    >
    > --
    > \\\||///
    > ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------
    > ----------------------------()--------------------------
    > '' Madness takes its toll - Please have exact change. ''
    >
    > John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6

  5. Re: SMC7004BR

    Gerhard,
    Thanx for your reply.
    I can operate the printer directly from the computer's DB25 connector
    in SPP mode (PC BIOS setup allows this as well as ECP or EPP). Since SPP is
    "Standard Parallel Port" , then I don't need a bi-directional capability.

    "Gerhard Fiedler" wrote in message
    > On 2008-07-29 16:40:31, John Dulak wrote:
    >
    >> M. N. wrote:
    >>> Does anyone use this router? If so, do you use the embedded print
    >>> server?
    >>> And, if you do, how did you setup the print server. I use Win XP pro.

    >> I have a simular SMC router but have never used the printer port.

    > I have this router and have used the printer port, but that was a long
    > time
    > ago and I don't remember how exactly I had it set up. But there was
    > nothing
    > magic -- I was following some instructions. John's response and the links
    > in it probably have all you need.
    >
    > OTOH, AFAIR this is not a bidirectional port, and maybe there are printers
    > that need a bidirectional connection and won't even print if they don't
    > have one.
    >
    > Gerhard

  6. Re: SMC7004BR

    On 2008-07-30 19:36:41, M. N. wrote:

    > I can operate the printer directly from the computer's DB25 connector in
    > SPP mode (PC BIOS setup allows this as well as ECP or EPP). Since SPP is
    > "Standard Parallel Port" , then I don't need a bi-directional
    > capability.

    FWIW, SPP is -- in a limited way -- bidirectional. There are five status
    lines that are inputs and often used for limited bidirectional
    communication.

    Gerhard

  7. Re: SMC7004BR

    "M. N." wrote in message
    > Does anyone use this router? If so, do you use the embedded print server?
    > And, if you do, how did you setup the print server. I use Win XP pro.
    >
    > The router works fine for internet, file and printer sharing among my 3
    > Win XP pro computers -- but I can't get the print server to work. The
    > router's embedded web page shows the printer to be in the READY state, and
    > I can setup the printer to use the specified IP address, but I get no
    > printer output. The printer and software driver work fine when I connect
    > the printer directly to the DB25 connector of a computer -- thus they are
    > OK.

    I have to configure a few print servers of similar design and found the
    following to work most times.

    1. Go to the add printer section and make sure that "Local printer attached
    to this computer" is picked BUT not the "Automatically detect and install my
    Plug and Play Printer, then click on Next.

    2. In the Select a Printer Port select the "Create a new port:" option and
    scroll down window until you see "Standard TCP/IP port", and then click on
    Next. (This tells XP to redirect your printer output to the "fake" local
    printer port you will create based on the IP address of the print server.)

    3. Click on Next again if the print server is powered on and the printer is
    physically attached to the server.

    4. In the "Add Port" screen input the IP address you have chosen for the
    printer server in the "Printer Name or IP address" window.

    5. Not really needed but makes things easier to track in the future if you
    need to troubleshoot or change the IP address later. Change the "Port Name"
    window to reflect what ever helps you identify that the IP address is for
    your printer attached to the SMC print server, especially if you forget the
    IP address you assigned to the printer port in the future. Try to not use a
    space but rather the underline character to take it's place. Something like
    SMC_HP3840 or SMC_PServ

    6. If all works the printer port wizard should ask you where to get the
    printer drivers for the printer attached to your router. If it says they
    are already installed you should be able to use that one, if not you will
    need to have downloaded the printer drivers for your printer based on the OS
    of your computer and point it to where you saved the drivers or point it to
    the drivers disk that might have come with your printer. After that and
    with a little luck the printer should now be able to print a test page and
    so on.

+ Reply to Thread