Netgear Router (WGR614v5) and Network Time Protocol (NTP) Service - Routers

This is a discussion on Netgear Router (WGR614v5) and Network Time Protocol (NTP) Service - Routers ; I'm using an older Netgear router and I'm trying to get it to register the correct current time and date. The documentation states the following: "The WGR614 v5 router uses the Network Time Protocol (NTP) to obtain the current time ...

  1. Netgear Router (WGR614v5) and Network Time Protocol (NTP) Service

    I'm using an older Netgear router and I'm trying to get it to register
    the correct current time and date.

    The documentation states the following:
    "The WGR614 v5 router uses the Network Time Protocol (NTP) to obtain
    the current time and date
    from one of several Network Time Servers on the Internet."

    And in the troubleshooting section, it states:
    "Date shown is January 1, 2000. Cause: The router has not yet
    successfully reached a Network Time Server. Check that your Internet
    access settings are configured correctly. If you have just completed
    configuring the router, wait at least five minutes and check the date
    and time again."

    Well, in my case, it's "2003" (not "2000"). I have NOT just completed
    configuring the router, so it's not a matter of waiting the five
    minutes. So, it must be that I need to "Check that [my] Internet
    access settings are configured correctly." I'm just not sure which
    settings to look at... and if found, what it should be.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
    —Thri

  2. Re: Netgear Router (WGR614v5) and Network Time Protocol (NTP) Service

    Someone reported the same issue here
    http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=130841 , except that it was a v7
    model.

    Sounds like the NTP server whose address is hardcoded in the firmware is
    misbehaving. Really sloppy design I have to say.

    --
    JL

  3. Re: Netgear Router (WGR614v5) and Network Time Protocol (NTP) Service

    On Jul 28, 8:48*pm, "Johnnie Leung"
    wrote:
    > Someone reported the same issue herehttp://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=130841, except that it was a v7
    > model.
    >
    > Sounds like the NTP server whose address is hardcoded in the firmware is
    > misbehaving. *Really sloppy design I have to say.
    >
    > --
    > JL

    JL-

    Thanks very much for the reply and the link. At least now, I don't
    feel like I'm beating my ahead against the wall. I might try doing the
    reset and hope for the best (while expecting the worst?).

    Later...
    --Thri

  4. Re: Netgear Router (WGR614v5) and Network Time Protocol (NTP) Service

    Just 2 days ago my FVG318 lost track of the date and time. Right now it is
    showing the date January 2, 2000. I tried changing the NTP server from
    b-time.netgear.com to a-time.netgear.com etc but nothing happened. Also
    tried using the NTP.org pool of NTP servers but the router did not update.
    Could this be a problem with netgear time servers; or is it a leading edge
    problem with the router before it craps altogether? I seem to remember
    another netgear router I had did the same thing (lost track of date and
    time) before it stopped working altogether. Has this happened to anyone
    else?

    wrote in message
[...]

  5. Re: Netgear Router (WGR614v5) and Network Time Protocol (NTP) Service

    On Jul 30, 10:24*am, "OutOfTime" wrote:
    > Just 2 days ago my FVG318 lost track of the date and time. Right now it is
    > showing the date January 2, 2000. I tried changing the NTP server from
    > b-time.netgear.com to a-time.netgear.com etc but nothing happened. Also
    > tried using the NTP.org pool of NTP servers but the router did not update..
    > Could this be a problem with netgear time servers; or is it a leading edge
    > problem with the router before it craps altogether? I seem to remember
    > another netgear router I had did the same thing (lost track of date and
    > time) before it stopped working altogether. Has this happened to anyone
    > else?
    > :
    > [snip]
    > :

    My router is once again showing the correct date & time. From looking
    at some of the NETGEAR forums, I believe (at least for my model of
    router) this was a problem that had to be fixed on NETGEAR's side of
    the house... since the NTP address is hardwired into the WGR614 v5
    router.

+ Reply to Thread