new isp, two routers now... - Routers

This is a discussion on new isp, two routers now... - Routers ; my original setup was isp (sat modem) to netgear router w/wireless capabilites and computer hooked up thru the router-- i needed this because my retired in-laws are keeping in contact with the family thru my internet connection and they're across ...

  1. new isp, two routers now...

    my original setup was isp (sat modem) to netgear router w/wireless
    capabilites and computer hooked up thru the router-- i needed this because
    my retired in-laws are keeping in contact with the family thru my internet
    connection and they're across the street from me.

    oh great day, dsl finally came to my neck of the woods and now i have an
    extra layer. my network is set up this way now isp modem/router (bec
    7402tm) w/fixed address (no wan capability), neatgear router (mr814v2),
    computer.

    all i had to do was set a fixed address in the netgear router. turning off
    dhcp in the neatgear only affects whether the comptuers (wired and wan) need
    to have an address applied. the subnet is 192.168.0.x, standard with this
    netgear model.

    problem is i can't acess the isp's router (default address 192.168.1.254) at
    all, even if i change the netgear's to 192.168.1.x

    the setup works otherwise. i need to get into the guts of this router
    because my stated speed is 3MB connection and im only getting 812K on the
    speed tests, and i want to make sure the setting on this router are correct.

    please point me in the right direction oh great and wise router wizzards.

  2. Re: new isp, two routers now...

    revek wrote:
    > i have no idea what the isp might have done with the router in the setup,
    > but as it came right out of a box and the installers just hooked everything
    > together and everything was copacetic, i'm assuming at this moment the
    > factory default settings still apply.

    As I re-read your OP, all of this seems to be predicated on your slow
    connect speed, yes? How did you test? Did the technician test during
    install? What speed did he get? Have you contacted your ISP?

    Remember, your service contract /probably/ says you will get speeds "up
    to" a certain level. I don't know of any major ISP that /guarantees/
    max speed. Further, DSL performance is affected greatly by your
    distance from the switching center so it may not be at all possible for
    you to attain the maximum speed.

    > bec router/modem (isp) default router address page- 192.168.1.254
    >
    > isp info input into netgear router -
    > basic setting section
    >
    > static address 208.126.87
    > subnet 255.255.255.0
    > gateway 208.126.81.1

    Whoa!

    Why did you input anything into the Netgear router? You should be able
    to simply connect the Netgear into the BEC. The BEC is the gateway
    device. I'd reset the Netgear

    If you still need to pursue this, I'd try this:

    1. Reset the Netgear to factory defaults using the reset procedure in
    the manual.

    2. Turn everything off. Turn on the BEC and let it sync with the DSL
    network.

    3. Turn on the Netgear and let it stabilize.

    4. Turn on your PC connected to the Netgear. It should get an IP
    address from the Netgear router.

    5. Access the Internet. Ok?

    6. Try to access the BEC configuration page.

    Also, I suppose it is /possible/ that the version of the BEC
    router/modem is custom configured for your ISP and may have the config
    page locked out. This is one reason I own my cable modem and LAN gear:
    I want to make sure I can troubleshoot things without any mystery
    surprises.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net