2nd wireless router as a range extender? - Routers

This is a discussion on 2nd wireless router as a range extender? - Routers ; Can a second wirless router be added to an existing wireless network to be used as a range extender? I have a Linksys WRT54g as the main router but I also have a Belkin (don't remember the model) laying around, ...

  1. 2nd wireless router as a range extender?

    Can a second wirless router be added to an existing wireless network to be
    used as a range extender? I have a Linksys WRT54g as the main router but I
    also have a Belkin (don't remember the model) laying around, can it be used
    as an extender?

  2. Re: 2nd wireless router as a range extender?

    "Al" wrote in message
    news:YsmdnSuSkvHLrcjVnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@trueband.net ...
    > Can a second wirless router be added to an existing wireless network to be
    > used as a range extender?

    Yes, but only if both APs support it. It's called WDS (Wireless
    Distribution System). Compatibility between brands (or sometimes even
    different models of the same brand) is iffy.

    --
    JL

  3. Re: 2nd wireless router as a range extender?

    Just remember: unless you hardwire (w/ cat5) both routers together the total
    throughput speed between them will only be 1/2 the rated speed.

    "Al" wrote in message
    news:YsmdnSuSkvHLrcjVnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@trueband.net ...
    > Can a second wirless router be added to an existing wireless network to be
    > used as a range extender? I have a Linksys WRT54g as the main router but I
    > also have a Belkin (don't remember the model) laying around, can it be
    > used as an extender?

+ Reply to Thread