WHS and two routers - Routers

This is a discussion on WHS and two routers - Routers ; I have had to upgrade to Comcast Business Class because of taking on work at home. Before that I was planning to access my HP Media Smart server and my main computer remotely from the internet through my NETGEAR WNR3500 ...

  1. WHS and two routers

    I have had to upgrade to Comcast Business Class because of taking on work at
    home. Before that I was planning to access my HP Media Smart server and my
    main computer remotely from the internet through my NETGEAR WNR3500 Wirless
    Router (this computer and the MediaSmart Server are connected by wire to the
    router) while away from home.

    Along comes Comcast and instead of upgrading me to a plain modem, they have
    installed a modem/router. Now, my WNR3500 router is plugged into one of the
    ports of the Comcast modem/router. I originally had a Motorola Surfboard
    cable modem installed, but Comcast said I needed another modem to support
    the higher speeds. Is that true or could I have kept my Motorola modem and
    done just as well?

    Can I still get to this computer and MediaSmart Server remotely with this
    routher-through-a-router setup? Do I need to plug this computer directly
    into the Comcast modem/router to be able to access it via Remote Desktop
    (yes, I know, Remote Desktop has to be enabled on this comuputer for that to
    happen).

    The MediaSmart Server is using Windows Home Server and this computer is
    using Windows Vista Ultimate (or XP Pro, it is set up for dual-boot).

    What happens if I plug the MediaSmart Server into the Comcast modem/router?
    Will my other computers, using the wireless radio, lose connectivity with
    the MediaSmart Server? The other computers can get to the internet through
    the two routers and, with the MediaSmart plugged into the WNR3500, they can
    get to the MediaSmart Server.

    I suppose I could take a lot of time and experiment with these various
    configurations myself, dragging my laptop to the local Panera Bread's free
    WiFi to test the latest lash-up, but I was hoping one of you networking
    wizards would have some ready answers.

    Thanks,

    Turner

  2. Re: WHS and two routers

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:05:20 -0400, "Turner Morgan"
    wrote:

    >I have had to upgrade to Comcast Business Class because of taking on work at
    >home. Before that I was planning to access my HP Media Smart server and my
    >main computer remotely from the internet through my NETGEAR WNR3500 Wirless
    >Router (this computer and the MediaSmart Server are connected by wire to the
    >router) while away from home.
    >
    >Along comes Comcast and instead of upgrading me to a plain modem, they have
    >installed a modem/router. Now, my WNR3500 router is plugged into one of the
    >ports of the Comcast modem/router. I originally had a Motorola Surfboard
    >cable modem installed, but Comcast said I needed another modem to support
    >the higher speeds. Is that true or could I have kept my Motorola modem and
    >done just as well?
    >
    >Can I still get to this computer and MediaSmart Server remotely with this
    >routher-through-a-router setup? Do I need to plug this computer directly
    >into the Comcast modem/router to be able to access it via Remote Desktop
    >(yes, I know, Remote Desktop has to be enabled on this comuputer for that to
    >happen).
    >
    >The MediaSmart Server is using Windows Home Server and this computer is
    >using Windows Vista Ultimate (or XP Pro, it is set up for dual-boot).
    >
    >What happens if I plug the MediaSmart Server into the Comcast modem/router?
    >Will my other computers, using the wireless radio, lose connectivity with
    >the MediaSmart Server? The other computers can get to the internet through
    >the two routers and, with the MediaSmart plugged into the WNR3500, they can
    >get to the MediaSmart Server.
    >
    >I suppose I could take a lot of time and experiment with these various
    >configurations myself, dragging my laptop to the local Panera Bread's free
    >WiFi to test the latest lash-up, but I was hoping one of you networking
    >wizards would have some ready answers.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    > Turner

    I have WHS but am JUST starting to use it and do not access it
    remotely yet, BUT I do have Comcast Business level and the
    modem/router and my own LinkSys router as well. The only thing plugged
    into the Comcast modem/router is my LinkSys router. I have 22
    computers here at home and they all run just fine. I do have a static
    IP address and that MUST be connected directly to the Comcast
    modem/router for it to work. I don't use it right now but the cost is
    only $5.00 a month and if I drop it and want it back later new ones
    are costing $10.00 a month for the static IP. I do hope your Business
    acoount is worth it, mine is not! I have no more speed than my
    neighbor who is on a residential account and when my signal went out
    they said it was not fixable under the 24 hour rule because the whole
    neighborhood was down! They only guarantee 24 hour IF there is signal
    to their connection. Since it was a neighborhood problem, the main box
    was hit by a car, then I needed to call back after everyone else had
    signal. My neighbor and I both got our signals back at the same time!

+ Reply to Thread